Daine Laurie #237

Unfortunately it wasn’t hard enough. Should’ve give him an uppercut aswell. 😂😂
For some reason I just think guthos an absolute tosser and I’ve never met him either.
Completely agree with you. My son is an Eels supporter (sorry) and he talks him up for being a great leader and motivator who puts 100% in. I think he's mainly right and, of course, all Eels would agree but what I also see is a self absorbed show pony who is just begging to be smashed!

I just don't think he had that many opportunities Moh, the team was woeful.
I've said this before but I really believe the Tigers should be patient with Laurie. He may not be the biggest or fastest fullback around but he shows enough potential to be persevered with. He's not lightning but he's fast enough, has some ball skills and was beginning to show elusiveness and effective running from the back in the latter end of last season. People have to remember that he was coming back from a broken ankle this year and was probably expected to do too much too early. Yes, he needs to improve his positional play but, overall he showed a lot of guts in a team that lacked toughness or any sort of attacking flair to support him.

Last edited:
The only video we will feature in is the most missed tackles in 2022
I must have watched that vid 15 times and each time it makes me more infuriatingly disappointed. There was no Nelson short arm jab with the flop and it was one of the few times we chased an attacking kick.
It wasn’t high, but on point and leaves me wondering if Laurie called for it? Or Hastings?

I've been watching quite a few of our games I had recorded including the horror show against East's. I watched Laurie in particular and I think this.He made a lot of latch ditch tackles he ran the ball back with plenty of guts and showed a lot of speed when he got into the open.The bad stuff he was out of position a lot when kicks were put through but I blame our forwards for a lot of that.Quite often he had to make tackles in the front line and couldn't get back for the next play.To finish at the back of a much better pack I think he can be very good at fb next year.What happens with Staines I'm not sure.Interested to see what you think

I've been watching quite a few of our games I had recorded including the horror show against East's. I watched Laurie in particular and I think this.He made a lot of latch ditch tackles he ran the ball back with plenty of guts and showed a lot of speed when he got into the open.The bad stuff he was out of position a lot when kicks were put through but I blame our forwards for a lot of that.Quite often he had to make tackles in the front line and couldn't get back for the next play.To finish at the back of a much better pack I think he can be very good at fb next year.What happens with Staines I'm not sure.Interested to see what you think
Yeah he did do some good stuff. But he and Stains has this year to impress or get shipped out for a rep fullback. Being half decent isn't good enough. You need to be on the ball for 80 minutes. Not wearing Panthers jerseys around would help as well.

Yeah he did do some good stuff. But he and Stains has this year to impress or get shipped out for a rep fullback. Being half decent isn't good enough. You need to be on the ball for 80 minutes. Not wearing Panthers jerseys around would help as well.
I thought he was better than half decent but we will find out how good he is next year

I thought he was better than half decent but we will find out how good he is next year
He scored two tries? Set up a couple, never backed up, got caught out regularly and is the fullback of the current wooden spooners. Yes having ordinary forwards doesnt help but you can only do what's in front of you and he was found wanting at times.

He scored two tries? Set up a couple, never backed up, got caught out regularly and is the fullback of the current wooden spooners. Yes having ordinary forwards doesnt help but you can only do what's in front of you and he was found wanting at times.
You win I'm going to bed good night

He was inconsistent - but much better than most people's appalling short term recollections

At his best - he was a stand-out and he has plenty of quality footy ahead of him.

His overly casual attitude & questions over his true commitment to the jsersey are understandably what influences fans perspectives.

Laurie made 9 tackles a game last year, Tedesco made 3.5 , Edwards 4.6, Gutha- 4.7.

He was doing twice as much defence as he should be because we were leaving him exposed.
Can we use the same argument to make Brooks look better?

I think he’d benefit from a big off season. Seems to be a footy player but doesn’t have the physique/fitness to really own a game.
Remember Hodgo?
70kg wringing wet.... Thing is he rarely "owned" games either he only had to play his role, all his other spine colleagues did their part too making it easier for all of them.
When others can't or won't pull their weight the pressure to own a game falls to others.dts get in the front foot (hopefully) regularly and see how he goes then

He was inconsistent

At his best - he was a stand-out and he has plenty of quality footy ahead of him.

He had one top tier game. He had a lot of average games. He was no worse than Brooks or Doueihi.

They all get chances to proves themselves this season. It'll be interesting how many are left the following season.

Back