David Klemmer #264

Anyone able to share this please
Alex Twal remembers exactly where he was the first time he came face to face with the angry version of David Klemmer.
It was May 2018 at Homebush and the young Wests Tigers tyro, in his first full season in the NRL, packed into a scrum opposite the Origin front-rower.

Twal was a star on the rise and had a point to prove, so when the scrum was fed, he aimed a boot at the Steeden and tried to kick it out.

He missed.

“I ended up kicking him instead,” Twal tells CODE Sports.

Few players fire-up like David Klemmer does. Picture: Brendon Thorne/Getty Images

Few players fire-up like David Klemmer does. Picture: Brendon Thorne/Getty Images
Klemmer flared up, and Twal became just one of a countless number of NRL players to witness the then-Bulldogs hard man’s rage.

“I was young, I was 21, and it was my first year in grade and I got a bit ahead of myself at the time,” Twal recalls.

“He gets that fire in his eyes and the big guy had to calm me down.”

This off-season, Klemmer signed a three-year deal with the Tigers after leaving the Knights. Older and wiser, the duo joked about that first encounter.

They have since formed a tight bond ahead of the Tigers’ round one clash with the Titans this Sunday.

“It was funny, the first day he came here we had a little laugh about it, but it’s all behind us now,” Twal says.

“We’re best mates here so it’s really nice.”

Alex Twal was in his first full season in the NRL when he first encountered David Klemmer. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

Alex Twal was in his first full season in the NRL when he first encountered David Klemmer. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images
Asked which Wests player most stood out upon his arrival at Concord, Klemmer doesn’t hesitate.

“Twaly, he’s been good,” the 29-year-old tells CODE. “He’s probably the leader of the pack in fitness.

“He has a really high work rate and he’s someone I’m going to enjoy playing with.”

Twal repays the favour.

“He’s added a spark to the team,” he says of Klemmer.

“He comes in, works hard and despite all he’s achieved in the game, he always wants to be better and trains as hard as he can. He motivates me.

“We play in a similar position, so he motivates me to be a better version of myself and I can’t thank him enough.”

Klemmer has already had a big influence at the Tigers. Picture: Hannah Peters/Getty Images

Klemmer has already had a big influence at the Tigers. Picture: Hannah Peters/Getty Images
Twal isn’t the only Tigers player already reaping the benefits of training alongside Klemmer.

“I love when he’s defending inside me, because it makes it so much easier,” says back-rower Shawn Blore, who will start on an edge at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday evening.

“When I’m tired, he’s got little pointers and he keeps talking. I try to stick close to him and be like a sponge.”

Klemmer enjoyed something of a renaissance last year, when he was one of Newcastle’s best in an inconsistent season. Despite his on-field success, he was unwanted in the Hunter, but made to feel welcome by Tim Sheens at Wests.

Never a backward step, Klemmer was one of Newcastle’s best in 2022. Picture: Ashley Feder/Getty Images

Never a backward step, Klemmer was one of Newcastle’s best in 2022. Picture: Ashley Feder/Getty Images
Klemmer, who made his Test debut under Sheens in 2014, vibes well with the veteran’s approach to coaching.

“People in the grandstands don’t really see it, but he’s got a different vision to a lot of coaches now,” he says. “The game’s changed, but the fundamentals don’t change at all.

“He’s an old front rower too, so it’s about how to hold the football, how to get your arms up and get an offload away.

“He’s a coach who’s going to try and improve your footy game and he loves all the little aspects of it as well.”

Behind the fairly frequent on-field outbursts and wild-eyed rage, Klemmer is a self-confessed footy nerd. He watches every NRL game each weekend, as well as reserve grade and Super League, and loves Sheens’ attention to detail.

Klemmer is enjoying his time under Tim Sheens. Picture: Hannah Peters/Getty Images

Klemmer is enjoying his time under Tim Sheens. Picture: Hannah Peters/Getty Images

His new teammates can attest to his devotion to the game. They all knew of his reputation as an intense on-field personality, but, to a man, Klemmer’s new Tigers teammates all speak with admiration about his intelligence too.

“He’s got a mad footy brain and I was surprised by that,” says Blore. “He’s still a mad dog. He’s still a nutcase, but like a smart nutcase.

“It’s weird.”

Jake Simpkins adds: “He brings aggression, but he just brings so much knowledge of the game too. He just loves it.

“The eyes still come out, and he’ll be ready to go, but he’s very intelligent – for a front rower, especially.”

Alex Twal remembers exactly where he was the first time he came face to face with the angry version of David Klemmer.
It was May 2018 at Homebush and the young Wests Tigers tyro, in his first full season in the NRL, packed into a scrum opposite the Origin front-rower.

Twal was a star on the rise and had a point to prove, so when the scrum was fed, he aimed a boot at the Steeden and tried to kick it out.

He missed.

Klemmer flared up, and Twal became just one of a countless number of NRL players to witness the then-Bulldogs hard man’s rage.

“I was young, I was 21, and it was my first year in grade and I got a bit ahead of myself at the time,” Twal recalls.

This off-season, Klemmer signed a three-year deal with the Tigers after leaving the Knights. Older and wiser, the duo joked about that first encounter.

They have since formed a tight bond ahead of the Tigers’ round one clash with the Titans this Sunday.

“It was funny, the first day he came here we had a little laugh about it, but it’s all behind us now,” Twal says.

Asked which Wests player most stood out upon his arrival at Concord, Klemmer doesn’t hesitate.

“Twaly, he’s been good,” the 29-year-old tells CODE. “He’s probably the leader of the pack in fitness.

“He has a really high work rate and he’s someone I’m going to enjoy playing with.”

Twal repays the favour.

“He comes in, works hard and despite all he’s achieved in the game, he always wants to be better and trains as hard as he can. He motivates me.

“We play in a similar position, so he motivates me to be a better version of myself and I can’t thank him enough.”

Twal isn’t the only Tigers player already reaping the benefits of training alongside Klemmer.

“I love when he’s defending inside me, because it makes it so much easier,” says back-rower Shawn Blore, who will start on an edge at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday evening.

“When I’m tired, he’s got little pointers and he keeps talking. I try to stick close to him and be like a sponge.”

Klemmer enjoyed something of a renaissance last year, when he was one of Newcastle’s best in an inconsistent season. Despite his on-field success, he was unwanted in the Hunter, but made to feel welcome by Tim Sheens at Wests.

Klemmer, who made his Test debut under Sheens in 2014, vibes well with the veteran’s approach to coaching.

“People in the grandstands don’t really see it, but he’s got a different vision to a lot of coaches now,” he says. “The game’s changed, but the fundamentals don’t change at all.

“He’s an old front rower too, so it’s about how to hold the football, how to get your arms up and get an offload away.

“He’s a coach who’s going to try and improve your footy game and he loves all the little aspects of it as well.”

Behind the fairly frequent on-field outbursts and wild-eyed rage, Klemmer is a self-confessed footy nerd. He watches every NRL game each weekend, as well as reserve grade and Super League, and loves Sheens’ attention to detail.

His new teammates can attest to his devotion to the game. They all knew of his reputation as an intense on-field personality, but, to a man, Klemmer’s new Tigers teammates all speak with admiration about his intelligence too.

“He’s got a mad footy brain and I was surprised by that,” says Blore. “He’s still a mad dog. He’s still a nutcase, but like a smart nutcase.

“It’s weird.”

Jake Simpkins adds: “He brings aggression, but he just brings so much knowledge of the game too. He just loves it.

“The eyes still come out, and he’ll be ready to go, but he’s very intelligent – for a front rower, especially.”

Thanks 4 posting

Same garbage crap about how well the Tigers have recruited under Sheens....although they forget that Madge knew our weakness and bought Api and Papi to the club to shore up and strengthen the team...great work by the boys club to get rid of an organising,goalkicking halfback with footy smarts to keep our one club icon at halfback,thank God Klemmer was on the outer at Newy and Bateman is a mate of Sheens...
Go the Mighty Tigers under the boys club coaching...this year is the one where they put their MONEY where their mouth is...
If we cant come close or at least in the 8 this year with the spewing about how good Sheens is compared to all the other coaches since Sheens left and sued us with Bunji and Farah at the helm then we will wait another 8/10 years untill this joint finally wakes up and gets professional ...

Same garbage crap about how well the Tigers have recruited under Sheens....although they forget that Madge knew our weakness and bought Api and Papi to the club to shore up and strengthen the team...great work by the boys club to get rid of an organising,goalkicking halfback with footy smarts to keep our one club icon at halfback,thank God Klemmer was on the outer at Newy and Bateman is a mate of Sheens...
Go the Mighty Tigers under the boys club coaching...this year is the one where they put their MONEY where their mouth is...
If we cant come close or at least in the 8 this year with the spewing about how good Sheens is compared to all the other coaches since Sheens left and sued us with Bunji and Farah at the helm then we will wait another 8/10 years untill this joint finally wakes up and gets professional ...
Yea, look. Agreed Madge brought us 2x good players in Api and Ice...

Sheens brought Bateman and Klemmer. I get it, the combined effort gets us our current good side and I reckon NOTHING happens without either recruitments.

Meaning Madge recruits 2x big names, then produces a loosing streak in 2022 very similar to the final scoreline. Maybe we come 15th, maybe 16th. I truly do not care.

Yes we need to take the same hardline with Sheens. Yes if Sheens takes our current squad and barring catastropic injury gets us 15th or worse. Fire Him!

hastings was taking this team no where, so was madge. get that into ya

Man U have issues….

No more than you and others mate....
Stop living in the past, helps nobody. Look forward not backwards. Your claims on Maguire aren’t 100% true, we were after Hodgson as hooker and they decided to go after api instead. Was that his call, sheens call?? None of us No the answer to that so stop talking like it’s fact. Just isn’t!
Who closed the deals on him and ice?? Sheens was head of football at that time, could of been the whole recruitment team not just Madge.

Funny how ppl like you call yourselves fans of the tigers when all you do is criticise everything the club does good or bad
Just as there’s some hope to what we’re trying to accomplish

And Hastings wasn’t doing anything to where this club goes, showed yesterday that sheens was right that he’s not a halfback but a lock with his speed

Funny how ppl like you call yourselves fans of the tigers when all you do is criticise everything the club does good or bad
Just as there’s some hope to what we’re trying to accomplish
I have been a fan since inception,pay my membership and back the club in whatever it takes to be a competative NRL club...the club has made some shocking decisions over the years and deserve the criticism it gets...Im glad we are finally TRYING to become that club that we all want it to be SUCCESSFUL...Just because Sheens,Benji and Farah got us a premiership 18 yrs ago doesnt mean that success will come again...hard work,professionalism,respect is what accomplishes that success and I will wait and see how this unfolds over the next couple of seasons...
The biggest thing this club has to achieve is stability throughout the whole organisation,to many times in the past something has come up to disrupt our progress just as we had hopes for a particular season eg,,Cleary was in my opinion going to take this team to at least the 8 and maybe finals until he left us cold,deflating many of us fans hopes...I hope that Sheens and his team of coaches and players finally realise that we need to show the NRL world what a great team and club this JV really is and not the basket case it has come to be known as...

He missed.

Twal repays the favour.

“It’s weird.”

Exactly what we need, a couple of middles to fire up like Fisher-Harris. Make the tackles hurt! If they’re coming through the middle they’re going home with bruises!

Would like him here but can’t see it happening
Would have loved to see him and Lodge in the team.
We haven’t had any respect from our opposition in the middle of the park for a decade, except for that brief time when Cleary brought in a couple of his kiwi mates. You know the ones who contributed to our unbalanced cap. It was worth it though, at least Matterson knew not to try strolling through the middle like he was taking a walk in the park.
Woods was a big softy too, but a highly skilled big softy 😂
It’s ok to be play a Harlem globe trotters type of game, but at the same time we need to earn respect in the middle.

We are yet to be able to judge the effectiveness of Sheens second tenure at the club, though we certainly can recruitment wise to this point, including that of Klemmer. Not only that, he moved on a player/s such as Musgrove to allow it and others.

Cannot though understand continuing debate over the signings of Papali'i and Koroisau. They were Sheens' first major landings of targeted quality players, and two absolute beauties at that to kick off the change.

Back