David Nofoaluma #164

I truly believe Tupou is the better option going forward, worse case scenario he goes on par with what Nofo has produced over the last couple of years. He's getting better and better with more game time and confidence, we don't know what his ceiling is. We've seen the ceiling of Nofo, and who knows if he will reach that again. Just trying to look forward. I understand if Nofo gets picked first up, but a proactive coach would be monitoring that spot very closely, maybe re-evaluate after a couples and pick on form, not history. Don't give a rats if he has most tries for this club.
Look Mamalo is on his last leg. There’s a spot for tupou or Staines but Nofa has the other spot for now. If u watch the form of tupou last season was very inconsistent he would score a try but let two in. He’s not a finished product yet. Most of the time the try’s he let in was mostly from bad reads. Not like the try’s that Nofa let’s in which is mostly overlaps which is not his fault. But tupou is young and will get better. Funny how people quote that Nofa looks disinterested yet when tupou scores he looks like he couldn’t give a shit! Maybe he’s shy, but his reaction is a lot worse than Nofa’s!

Look Mamalo is on his last leg. There’s a spot for tupou or Staines but Nofa has the other spot for now. If u watch the form of tupou last season was very inconsistent he would score a try but let two in. He’s not a finished product yet. Most of the time the try’s he let in was mostly from bad reads. Not like the try’s that Nofa let’s in which is mostly overlaps which is not his fault. But tupou is young and will get better. Funny how people quote that Nofa looks disinterested yet when tupou scores he looks like he couldn’t give a shit! Maybe he’s shy, but his reaction is a lot worse than Nofa’s!
Yep, as I said hopefully they assess based on form after a couple weeks. Nothing to do with being interested. Ivan was the only one that had the guts to drop him to reserves several years ago, and that did wonders for him. Picking off history is rubbish that this club is really good at

Yep, as I said hopefully they assess based on form after a couple weeks. Nothing to do with being interested. Ivan was the only one that had the guts to drop him to reserves several years ago, and that did wonders for him. Picking off history is rubbish that this club is really good at
I am quietly confident that Nofa’s in fir a good year. As I have stated previously he’s been hamstrung by coaches with a negative attacking mantra. Also the forward pack that let’s face it, defence where poor. Second rowers that came in, centres that followed. This is what happens in all the poor defensive sides. I am hoping with our new second rowers that this will change and therefore Nofa’s defence will be better! Which is mostly what people complain about.

Sorry lost thread...
People were talking about Nofo and moving Daine Laurie to the wing.
Daine Laurie is 181cm, one of the shortest in our backline.
Brent Naden is taller 183, Nofo is 1 cm taller at 182, Ken M is 6"3 aka 191 cm.

I have huge problems moving short guys or even shorter guys to the wing. Whenever a team can't score they put up a high bomb over the goal line and hope their winger can outreach the opposing winger.

Yes the Fox is an exception, yet he has had melbourne tough as nails coaching to deal with defensive inadequacies.

Lets not coach/guide Laurie into a position he won't be physically be able to perform his best at. I would rather see Daine at Center where there are less high balls, maybe 5/8. He would have to seriously muscle up though.
Watching Greg Marzhew at 177cm, think he’s a great buy for the Knights. He’s a T’o’o clone.

I am quietly confident that Nofa’s in fir a good year. As I have stated previously he’s been hamstrung by coaches with a negative attacking mantra. Also the forward pack that let’s face it, defence where poor. Second rowers that came in, centres that followed. This is what happens in all the poor defensive sides. I am hoping with our new second rowers that this will change and therefore Nofa’s defence will be better! Which is mostly what people complain about.
Hard to know what Nofa will dish up this year? He loves running with the ball and is a brilliant finisher. Lee reckons he needs a reason to play well, so what is his reason or motivation this year?

Hard to know what Nofa will dish up this year? He loves running with the ball and is a brilliant finisher. Lee reckons he needs a reason to play well, so what is his reason or motivation this year?
Loves the club and a new team outlook is all he needs. Look I hate to talk him up too much for this year, as I don’t want to put the mock on him. So I will leave it there, it’s up to him and the team now.

Doesn't beat his chest as much as he used to do either.

Probably worked out that it hurts if you do it constantly.
The CEO and Chair were heavily involved in recruitment and wanted To be more in control of hiring coaching staff. Which seemed odd, considering that they both admit to knowing next to nothing about football?

I understand where you are coming from but I think the analogy is wrong. The old days of a winger sticking with his winger and playing man on man defence went with the dinosaurs. Since then slide and umberella systems have come, and gone (although elements are still used). In the modern game the edge it is primarily about protecting the inside shoulder and mirroring the choices of the inside player. Particularly inside our own 40. We don't have to follow this example and will have our own take on it; however, from what I have seen so far that is the basis of the model we are employing.

So if the centre goes in to protect his inside shoulder to protect against the attack splitting the line then the winger goes in. The protection for this are the kelpies in the team - the fullback and lock - scrambilng (cover defence for us dinosaurs) combined with our old mate the sideline.

Nofa has been caught out many times with overlaps and many times by not following the lead of this centre partner. One is a team issue and one is a bad read. He can't be blamed for the decisions of his inside players nor can he be blamed for an overlap if he is protecting his inside shoulder. The poor performance of the team is what has made Nofa look in poor in defence at times. Nofa's attitude in blaming others is what has made himself look bad.

There are signs that our defensive patterns are improving. Twice last week we had the sideline and numbers in cover to pick up the outside men and take them into touch. Haven't seen that, less odd occasions, for a few seasons.

the modern defensive structure is underpinned by attitude. If we protect the inside shoulder and don't have the urgency or commitment to scramble the defence fails. Robbie picked it like a snotty nose in the recent podcast; Wests Tigers have tried to be Melbourne and the Roosters but without the foundational skills.

I recall the Tommy tribute game where we leaked what felt like 100 tries down our edges. Who's fault was that debacle - Nofas? No it was an attitude issue.

I agree with you - I think Nofa has the potential for a good year, but not because of the change in attacking style, but an improvement in attitude and commitment in defence.

Unfortunately that is based on one game against Canberra. If we recall the game against the Warriors the same defensive issues that had plagued us for a couple of seasons were on show for all to see.

Let's see if we can string a few good defensive efforts together before we start to crow. Only when our defence is strong will we have the foundation from which to attack.

Different times I know but if you look at our 05 record from round 16 on we only leaked 16 per game (13 if you take out the two big losses against Melbourne and Penrith). If you recall the change in our fortunes was related to the change in our defensive attitude - prior to that we could score points but we let shit tins more in. That my friend is what attitude brings.

Last edited:
I understand where you are coming from but I think the analogy is wrong. The old days of a winger sticking with his winger and playing man on man defence went with the dinosaurs. Since then slide and umberella systems have come, and gone (although elements are still used). In the modern game the edge it is primarily about protecting the inside shoulder and mirroring the choices of the inside player. Particularly inside our own 40. We don't have to follow this example and will have our own take on it; however, from what I have seen so far that is the basis of the model we are employing.

So if the centre goes in to protect his inside shoulder to protect against the attack splitting the line then the winger goes in. The protection for this are the kelpies in the team - the fullback and lock - scrambilng (cover defence for us dinosaurs) combined with our old mate the sideline.

Nofa has been caught out many times with overlaps and many times by not following the lead of this centre partner. One is a team issue and one is a bad read. He can't be blamed for the decisions of his inside players nor can he be blamed for an if he is protecting his inside shoulder. The poor performance of the team is what has made Nofa look in poor in defence at times. Nofa's attitude in blaming others is what has made himself look bad.

There are signs that our defensive patterns are improving. Twice last week we had the sideline and numbers in cover to pick up the outside men and take them into touch. Haven't seen that, less odd occasions, for a few seasons.

the modern defensive structure is underpinned by attitude. If we protect the inside shoulder and don't have the urgency or commitment to scramble the defence fails. Robbie picked it like a snotty nose in the recent podcast; Wests Tigers have tried to be Melbourne and the Roosters but without the foundational skills.

I recall the Tommy tribute game where we leaked what felt like 100 tries down our edges. Who's fault was that debacle - Nofas? No it was an attitude issue.

I agree with you - I think Nofa has the potential for a good year, but not because of the change in attacking style, but an improvement in attitude and commitment in defence.

Unfortunately that is based on one game against Canberra. If we recall the game against the Warriors the same defensive issues that had plagued us for a couple of seasons were on show for all to see.

Let's see if we can string a few good defensive efforts together before we start to crow. Only when our defence is strong will we have the foundation from which to attack.

Different times I know but if you look at our 05 record from round 16 on we only leaked 16 per game (13 if you take out the two big losses against Melbourne and Penrith). If you recall the change in our fortunes was related to the change in our defensive attitude - prior to that we could score points but we let shit tins more in. That my friend is what attitude brings.
Very good reply, well written and I understand where u are coming from and agree. To answer a few of the points u raised.
The pitch fork brigade have been after Nofa for quite a long time before he said anything about his team mates.
In regards to him playing better was not solely based on the new attacking style. I believe this style will play to his strengths more and therefore he will be a happier player, then a better player. Nofa has played well over the past few years but he’s been down a bit, I believe with the new coaches and style this will improve.

Loves the club and a new team outlook is all he needs. Look I hate to talk him up too much for this year, as I don’t want to put the mock on him. So I will leave it there, it’s up to him and the team now.
The last sentence is the biggest statement yet...it is entirely up to this team to perform to the best of their ability and paycheck for the jumper,the fans and the club as a whole..
This year has to show a fair bit of improvement on the last couple of years to once again instill confidence into the members and fans who have suffered over the years with poor team performance...they are professional players,all we need is professional performance...

Very good reply, well written and I understand where u are coming from and agree. To answer a few of the points u raised.
The pitch fork brigade have been after Nofa for quite a long time before he said anything about his team mates.
In regards to him playing better was not solely based on the new attacking style. I believe this style will play to his strengths more and therefore he will be a happier player, then a better player. Nofa has played well over the past few years but he’s been down a bit, I believe with the new coaches and style this will improve.
Get where you are coming from. Looking forward to seeing how he performs. He can be a match winner as we know. I trust we see the best of him; he has to know that he is under pressure from the young brigade. I trust that the competition brings out the best in all of them.

Showed plenty of love for Melbourne, which he was happy to sprout to every news outlet, when he had to leave them to come back here.
If he plays well enough to keep his spot then so be it.
Doesn't deserve to get picked just because he's a junior or our highest try scorer.
He's been dumped to reggies before so he'd better be going at 100%
Personally think Tupou and Staines are superior and will prove that soon enough.

He

Nofa has been caught out many times with overlaps and many times by not following the lead of this centre partner. One is a team issue and one is a bad read. He can't be blamed for the decisions of his inside players nor can he be blamed for an overlap if he is protecting his inside shoulder. The poor performance of the team is what has made Nofa look in poor in defence at times. Nofa's attitude in blaming others is what has made himself look bad.

That's a valid point that the wingers are more important to defensive structures than they were before. Remember when Benji used to defend on the wing.

That being said, they may be more important but they are still the least important. If the winger has to make a decision whether to slide or to stay, or if he's forced to make a 1 on 1 tackle, it's too late by then. The team has already let the opposition inside our 20, the inside pressure has already let the outside men down. Wingers should never be made to do one on one tackles.

Those pressure decisions the winger has to make happens along with the centre. It doesn't help that we keep changing our centres every game. Noffa has defensive problems for sure but they can be hidden behind a decent team. Changing the winger has never and will never make you a better defensive team.

Back