David Nofoaluma #164

All this talk about a good winger ?
Months ago I said Kenny is constantly hobbling with persistent knee ,ankle ,groin issues
As such I couldn't pick him. Had no idea his knee issues would happen in the first 10mins of his first trial . If you want to see defensive issues just check the tapes on the Tigers vs Dragons 2nd last round last year and see who missed tackles and didn't chase at all

Nofa will put in this year, but at any chance Melbourne comes knocking... he'll leave

Nofa will put in this year, but at any chance Melbourne comes knocking... he'll leave

I find that very hard to believe as he would not get the same money elsewhere and he would be unlikely to ask for a release because he still has years to go on his inflated contract (Thanks Lee) and i doubt he would be prepared to sacrifice the difference in money

I find that very hard to believe as he would not get the same money elsewhere and he would be unlikely to ask for a release because he still has years to go on his inflated contract (Thanks Lee) and i doubt he would be prepared to sacrifice the difference in money
Loan arrangement, or we give Nofa 100K and storm pay 400K.

Either one, he'll be gone instantly I reckon

Loan arrangement, or we give Nofa 100K and storm pay 400K.

Either one, he'll be gone instantly I reckon

He is contracted to end 2025 so you would think that whatever we would have to subsidise him by it would be for 3 years.Also he is our clubs leading try scorer/best finisher and does many of the dirty hit ups when we are under pressure.I honestly don't see him going anywhere

He is contracted to end 2025 so you would think that whatever we would have to subsidise him by it would be for 3 years.Also he is our clubs leading try scorer/best finisher and does many of the dirty hit ups when we are under pressure.I honestly don't see him going anywhere

I have no problems with him staying and putting in.

The only problem I have is his attitude, if he doesn't blame team members, sook to the media and actually scores some more points then I have no problem with him starting each week ahead of all other wingers we have in the top 30.

I understand where you are coming from but I think the analogy is wrong. The old days of a winger sticking with his winger and playing man on man defence went with the dinosaurs. Since then slide and umberella systems have come, and gone (although elements are still used). In the modern game the edge it is primarily about protecting the inside shoulder and mirroring the choices of the inside player. Particularly inside our own 40. We don't have to follow this example and will have our own take on it; however, from what I have seen so far that is the basis of the model we are employing.

So if the centre goes in to protect his inside shoulder to protect against the attack splitting the line then the winger goes in. The protection for this are the kelpies in the team - the fullback and lock - scrambilng (cover defence for us dinosaurs) combined with our old mate the sideline.

Nofa has been caught out many times with overlaps and many times by not following the lead of this centre partner. One is a team issue and one is a bad read. He can't be blamed for the decisions of his inside players nor can he be blamed for an overlap if he is protecting his inside shoulder. The poor performance of the team is what has made Nofa look in poor in defence at times. Nofa's attitude in blaming others is what has made himself look bad.

There are signs that our defensive patterns are improving. Twice last week we had the sideline and numbers in cover to pick up the outside men and take them into touch. Haven't seen that, less odd occasions, for a few seasons.

the modern defensive structure is underpinned by attitude. If we protect the inside shoulder and don't have the urgency or commitment to scramble the defence fails. Robbie picked it like a snotty nose in the recent podcast; Wests Tigers have tried to be Melbourne and the Roosters but without the foundational skills.

I recall the Tommy tribute game where we leaked what felt like 100 tries down our edges. Who's fault was that debacle - Nofas? No it was an attitude issue.

I agree with you - I think Nofa has the potential for a good year, but not because of the change in attacking style, but an improvement in attitude and commitment in defence.

Unfortunately that is based on one game against Canberra. If we recall the game against the Warriors the same defensive issues that had plagued us for a couple of seasons were on show for all to see.

Let's see if we can string a few good defensive efforts together before we start to crow. Only when our defence is strong will we have the foundation from which to attack.

Different times I know but if you look at our 05 record from round 16 on we only leaked 16 per game (13 if you take out the two big losses against Melbourne and Penrith). If you recall the change in our fortunes was related to the change in our defensive attitude - prior to that we could score points but we let shit tins more in. That my friend is what attitude brings.
Post 👍

It’s a make or break year for him.
When on and in an attacking team he can be lethal, let’s hope we see the best of him return.

Making meters, high offensive work rate, tackle busts, offloads and stylish finishes is what I want to see

Loves ‘our’ club, just didn’t like it too much under the ‘5 hit-ups for a bomb’ style of play under the last coach!
Careful what you wish for. If we make a stack of unforced errors this week, the coaching manual dictates we go back to that. It’s an attitude shift this club needs more than anything.

I understand where you are coming from but I think the analogy is wrong. The old days of a winger sticking with his winger and playing man on man defence went with the dinosaurs. Since then slide and umberella systems have come, and gone (although elements are still used). In the modern game the edge it is primarily about protecting the inside shoulder and mirroring the choices of the inside player. Particularly inside our own 40. We don't have to follow this example and will have our own take on it; however, from what I have seen so far that is the basis of the model we are employing.

So if the centre goes in to protect his inside shoulder to protect against the attack splitting the line then the winger goes in. The protection for this are the kelpies in the team - the fullback and lock - scrambilng (cover defence for us dinosaurs) combined with our old mate the sideline.

Nofa has been caught out many times with overlaps and many times by not following the lead of this centre partner. One is a team issue and one is a bad read. He can't be blamed for the decisions of his inside players nor can he be blamed for an overlap if he is protecting his inside shoulder. The poor performance of the team is what has made Nofa look in poor in defence at times. Nofa's attitude in blaming others is what has made himself look bad.

There are signs that our defensive patterns are improving. Twice last week we had the sideline and numbers in cover to pick up the outside men and take them into touch. Haven't seen that, less odd occasions, for a few seasons.

the modern defensive structure is underpinned by attitude. If we protect the inside shoulder and don't have the urgency or commitment to scramble the defence fails. Robbie picked it like a snotty nose in the recent podcast; Wests Tigers have tried to be Melbourne and the Roosters but without the foundational skills.

I recall the Tommy tribute game where we leaked what felt like 100 tries down our edges. Who's fault was that debacle - Nofas? No it was an attitude issue.

I agree with you - I think Nofa has the potential for a good year, but not because of the change in attacking style, but an improvement in attitude and commitment in defence.

Unfortunately that is based on one game against Canberra. If we recall the game against the Warriors the same defensive issues that had plagued us for a couple of seasons were on show for all to see.

Let's see if we can string a few good defensive efforts together before we start to crow. Only when our defence is strong will we have the foundation from which to attack.

Different times I know but if you look at our 05 record from round 16 on we only leaked 16 per game (13 if you take out the two big losses against Melbourne and Penrith). If you recall the change in our fortunes was related to the change in our defensive attitude - prior to that we could score points but we let shit tins more in. That my friend is what attitude brings.
Having backrowers that can make 1v1 tackles will make a big difference too, Means the centres and halves can line up on their outside shoulder and not be worried about getting done on the the inside, making that scramble much simpler. Agree it is 100% an effort issue but it's also trusting that the next bloke will make the effort. Ice & JB are very very different in that area compared to LL and Kelma.

Careful what you wish for. If we make a stack of unforced errors this week, the coaching manual dictates we go back to that. It’s an attitude shift this club needs more than anything.
I know, but playing the boring type football wasn’t working for us at all.

I can't see us going back even if we have a stack of unforced errors. We have to expect some of it not to stick and for it to be a bit clunky in attack at times. AD looked "stiff" with ball in hand at times in last week's game. This will become second nature to the boys and I trust we will see a stack of points.

We have some wizards in attack out on the paddock in the forwards and AD showed some potential last week. Brooks can play, but has been poor over recent seasons, I expect the change in style will work for him but too early to tell. Our wingers have are pushing each other for a spot and Naden has had a good start in the centres. It was also good to see both Staines and Daino sniffing around the piggies early in the set from FB. Some of the second phase play last week was out of the top drawer, some was also shit. Some passes may not stick, but I thin we'll do OK and the game plan will not change for the foreseeable future.

I'm more concerned about our defence than our attack. Two weeks ago it was diabolical (although a bunch of kids with limited time together). Last week showed a bit of starch. Let's see what happens when 2 points are on the line and we have a near fill compliment of players.

And yet are all part of premiership wins…

Let me think - premiership winning coaches, or reserve grade wingers who’ve never played an NRL finals match…
Your mate had a star studded but lazy rabbits team, simple he got them fit they took care of the rest! Then they hated him and kicked him to the curb!
Cleary ran us into a hole with panic buys that screwed us over for years! Then inherited star side that nearly any coach could have one a premiership!
It’s when u have made the team yourself and won multiple premiership with different teams u can really start talking, not jags!

Ivan Cleary can't have had any more involvement in the creation of his premiership winning halfback and captain than he did you wouldn't think.....

But then again, You wouldn't - would you.....
Yes the halfback, he passed his sperm, congratulations! The rest he inherited, as I’ve said even Maguire/Taylor could win a premiership with that team!
How did Cleary go with us Einstein?? Some red hot recruiting that really ‘paided’ of for us didn’t it??

David Nofoaluma chats to media ahead of Sunday's Members' Appreciation Round match against Newcastle Knights at Leichhardt.

David Nofoaluma chats to media ahead of Sunday's Members' Appreciation Round match against Newcastle Knights at Leichhardt.
Great insight Dave.
He possesses a remarkable grasp of language and the spoken word.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back