Develop lawrence and start him from the bench

mtd

move him to the bench so he can come on for anasta or fulton as a backrower.

at the end of the day, he has been built up to become a forward, it was always apart of sheens's plan. so why not make the move now before he deteriorates as a centre.

11\. braith
12\. fulton
13\. blair

14\. lawrence

the move would mean:
- he is forced to get more involved (his lack of involvement has been a big problem imo)
- he is the sort of player who could be incredibly dangerous around the middle
- he can develop into a starting backrower or lock (probably wouldnt take long)
- if he can eventually play lock (or fulton/anasta can), it frees blair up to play prop which a position we seem to be short on at the moment.

boom.
tigers look good again.
him running off robbie or benji around the middle of the ruck.. drool worthy.

I can see Lawrence at lock being Terry Hill like. Tezza was a great player and at lock he was dangerous. Lawrence running it up the middle could really work.

I have a couple of concerns with doing this though:-

1\. Blair is finally starting to look good. He is playing basically as a prop although he is playing at lock. This gives us 3 props belting it up the middle.
2\. Lawrence, Fulton and Anasta must be close to the smallest backrow in the entire world including under 16's.
3\. Who can slot into the centres and replace him. I think we need more speed out wide not less and moving Lawrence could make the situation worse.
4\. I think Lawrence would have to work a lot harder defensively and it could take it out of him.

Lawrence is one of the best gap runners in the NRL in the past 10 years. Very few people can alter their line whilst at full speed. Of those, very few can read the play ahead and run at a gap that has not yet developed, but will. Lawrence can do both. He is a solid defender out wide. With both these traits, I vote he stays exactly where he is.

What you have to remember at the moment is that we don't have a back rower on his side that covers the gap between the ruck and where he stands. So he is defending inside as well as outside with a very inexperienced winger. Trying to do both is very difficult.

You will see much more impact later int he season once he gets a combination going with his inside back rower and his outside winger.

Swordy - there are lots of good points in your post. I still think Lawrence is a gun and I think he is playing good footy this year.

@stevetiger said:
Swordy - there are lots of good points in your post. I still think Lawrence is a gun and I think he is playing good footy this year.

His attack has improved with each game but his defence has not sadly.

My only concern with moving Lawrence into the back row would be aggravation to the near career ending injury he sustained. Although he has recovered somewhat, we all know he is nowhere near the player he once was and this has to be due to the effects of that injury. He would have to work a lot harder in defence in the pack and I'm not sure if this would be good for him at the moment. That said, I suppose if he is coming from the bench, he would be playing less minutes. Tim Simona could replace him in the centres, but I dunno really, the jury is still out for me on this idea.

@Flippedy said:
My only concern with moving Lawrence into the back row would be aggravation to the near career ending injury he sustained. Although he has recovered somewhat, we all know he is nowhere near the player he once was and this has to be due to the effects of that injury. He would have to work a lot harder in defence in the pack and I'm not sure if this would be good for him at the moment. That said, I suppose if he is coming from the bench, he would be playing less minutes. Tim Simona could replace him in the centres, but I dunno really, the jury is still out for me on this idea.

If his injury is still that much of a problem he shouldn't be playing. we can't have guys on the outside of outback line being protected and purposely lacking involvement.

I love him, but it can't on like this.

_Posted using RoarFEED 2013_

@mtd said:
@Flippedy said:

If his injury is still that much of a problem he shouldn't be playing. we can't have guys on the outside of outback line being protected and purposely lacking involvement.

I love him, but it can't on like this.

I agree, MTD, but I'm only assuming the injury is the reason for Lawrence's apparent lack of involvement and decline, especially in defence. It stands to reason because it was a very serious injury - still, it could just be that he is simply out of form.

@Demps said:
If it means Tim Simona can be our starting centre, I am all for it.

I'm surprised he hasn't picked up a gig at another club. Good kid

He proposed to his girlfriend yesterday - so let's hope the nerves have been playing on his mind this season thus far and he is ready to explode tomorrow.

One can hope, right?

@Centaur said:
He proposed to his girlfriend yesterday - so let's hope the nerves have been playing on his mind this season thus far and he is ready to explode tomorrow.

One can hope, right?

Lol very hopeful

Leave him where he is, get his mojo back or send him to a shrink. He needs to move on from the incident, or unfortunatley HE will be moved on. Tigers have alot of loyalty in the players. Theres not the thoery of however is playiing the best gets the gig. They have to have fear that they will loose their spot if tyhey are not on their game. Just my opinion.

not against this at all.. i would play him there in the state cup if his defense keeps getting worse

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back