F1 2021

T

Tiger5150

Re: [Formula 1](/topic/31722/formula-1)
I thought I might resurrect this thread to kick off F1 discussion for the upcoming year.

Im excited for the season ahead.

Ricciardo at Maclaren, will Ferrari come back, Mercedes dominance?

With season testing beginning later today, looking forward to seeing Ricciardo in a McLaren for the coming seasons, as they are a team I have long had a soft spot for. Change the blue on the car to white and it would be the same as our WT footy team.

![Screenshot_20210312-101232_Gallery.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1615504743303-screenshot_20210312-101232_gallery-resized.jpg)

@formerguest said in [F1 2021](/post/1312805) said:
With season testing beginning later today, looking forward to seeing Ricciardo in a McLaren for the coming seasons, as they are a team I have long had a soft spot for. Change the blue on the car to white and it would be the same as our WT footy team.

![Screenshot_20210312-101232_Gallery.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1615504743303-screenshot_20210312-101232_gallery-resized.jpg)

Fingers crossed that with the new Mercedes PU McLaren can be competitive. Would love to see Ricciardo at least battling with Verstappen.

I'm getting live updates on pre-season testing right now...

Very excited for this season. I expect Mercedes will win again, but the mid-field battle is going to be a very close thing with McLaren now running a Mercedes engine and Aston Martin coming out with a beautiful looking car. Alpine's effort also looks impressive and Ferrari have a new engine and gearbox which they hope will recover the straight line speed they lost last year.

Can't wait for the 1st race but I hope Dan settles into his new role at McLaren with ease and can hit the ground running.

@spartan117 said in [F1 2021](/post/1312811) said:
Big F1 fan here.

My hero growing up was Senna.

I really loved Damon hill , then later Mark Webber and Ricciardo.

What I will be watching this season:

- Obviously how well Ricciardo does with a better car in McLaren;
- Mick Schumacher's debut with Haas;
- Aston Martin overall performance with a competent pairing in Vettel and Stroll;
- Will Verstappen go to the next level, and will Albon find another drive (he's too good to not be in the F1 IMO)
- Ferrari putting together a competitive car to allow Leclerc to have a serious tilt at the championship.

Early trouble for Mercedes as Bottas needs a new gearbox after his installation lap. McLaren clocking up a few laps and Ricciardo top of the timing sheets for now, although they're 5 seconds off last year's pole time.

@cultured_bogan said in [F1 2021](/post/1312955) said:

- Aston Martin overall performance with a competent pairing in Vettel and Stroll;
- Will Verstappen go to the next level, and will Albon find another drive (he's too good to not be in the F1 IMO)
- Ferrari putting together a competitive car to allow Leclerc to have a serious tilt at the championship.

Haas will probably end up with the wooden spoon as they've already written off this year with the focus solely on 2022. Young Schuey came out and said if they pick up 1 point, they'll take that as a win.

Vettel will be interesting to see - that Aston car looks the goods but can Vettel deliver? His driving style seems suited to a particular type of car so it will be interesting to see if the Aston works for him. Likewise Perez taking on Verstappen, that should give a true measure of how he stacks up to Albon/Gasly/Ricciardo. Of those 3, Dan is the only one who gave Max a hard time.

@willow said in [F1 2021](/post/1312957) said:

Haas will probably end up with the wooden spoon as they've already written off this year with the focus solely on 2022. Young Schuey came out and said if they pick up 1 point, they'll take that as a win.

Vettel will be interesting to see - that Aston car looks the goods but can Vettel deliver? His driving style seems suited to a particular type of car so it will be interesting to see if the Aston works for him. Likewise Perez taking on Verstappen, that should give a true measure of how he stacks up to Albon/Gasly/Ricciardo. Of those 3, Dan is the only one who gave Max a hard time.

Hey willow quick question mate, it's off topic but my local club is auctioning off 4 corporate tickets to the Easter Monday game raising money for a player of ours who represents western suburbs who injured himself in footy and is permanently disabled. Any chance I can post the link on the site somewhere? Understand if I can't

@coivtny said in [F1 2021](/post/1312952) said:
Big F1 fan here.

Me too. Nothing sadder than the race that ended his life.

I remember my mum telling me early in the morning about his death.

@coivtny said in [F1 2021](/post/1312952) said:
Big F1 fan here.

Me too. Nothing sadder than the race that ended his life.

Didn't really have a favourite that year as his rival Prost had retired, but remember that night with Ayrton slumped after the car bounced off the wall. The atmosphere was already tense and sombre pre-race with Ratzenberger having been the first death in a decade or so and whilst a hard track for overtaking, enjoyed the return Covid allowed to Imola last year. He pushed that car to the edge of it's capability and past it to be competitive and lucked out.

Also recall talking to the TV in disbelief with Biachi lodged into the recovery lifter at Suzuka whilst the commentary team were trying to work out where he was on track and if his transponder had failed.

@jc99 said in [F1 2021](/post/1312959) said:
@willow said in [F1 2021](/post/1312957) said:

Hey willow quick question mate, it's off topic but my local club is auctioning off 4 corporate tickets to the Easter Monday game raising money for a player of ours who represents western suburbs who injured himself in footy and is permanently disabled. Any chance I can post the link on the site somewhere? Understand if I can't

You can probably throw that under the general rugby league section mate.

@willow said in [F1 2021](/post/1312956) said:
Early trouble for Mercedes as Bottas needs a new gearbox after his installation lap. McLaren clocking up a few laps and Ricciardo top of the timing sheets for now, although they're 5 seconds off last year's pole time.

Good, let's hope it's a design issue as the less time they get on track the better and although I can still enjoy aspects of the racing and the midfield, for most of the hybrid era @hobbo1 is at least partially correct, as basically unless something unusual happened, there is little contest for the lead as the silver cars romp away.

Formula One commentator Murray Walker has died aged 97.

https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/formula-1-commentary-icon-murray-walker-dies-aged-97/5714736/

Big F1 fan here.

I'm not a big F1 fan these days.....I prefer the Bathurst tin tops and Speedway Sidecars.
But my favourite many years ago was Jack Brabham, later to become Sir Jack Brabham.

@mike said in [F1 2021](/post/1313340) said:
Formula One commentator Murray Walker has died aged 97.

https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/formula-1-commentary-icon-murray-walker-dies-aged-97/5714736/

He WAS Formula 1. he will be greatly missed. I still remember the vision and his brilliant commentary of Nigel Mansell's tyre blowout at the 86 Australian Grand Prix. All Nigel had to do was finish in the top 4 on the day to be World Champion. RIP

Latest posts

Members online

Back