Failure not an option on Saturday - NRL Article

Juro

**Failure not an option on Saturday: Tigers**
http://www.nrl.com/failure-not-an-option-on-saturday-tigers/tabid/10874/newsid/78631/default.aspx
By Matt Encarnacion, Western Sydney Correspondent
>
NRL.com
>
10:37am Wed 21st May, 2014
>
Wests Tigers CEO Grant Mayer has declared that "failure isn't an option" on Saturday night – and he's not talking about his NRL team's match-up against the Baby Broncos in Campbelltown.
>
The club celebrates its 15th-year anniversary this weekend, a historic milestone that will be played against the same team on the same ground in front of almost their entire original squad from 2000.
>
But the club's relationship with south-west Sydney remains in serious doubt, particularly if a paltry 6,456 people continue turn up to games as was the case in a win against the Cowboys in mid-April.
>
The poor crowd prompted Mayer to announce $10 tickets to this Saturday's game.
>
"It is a last throw of the dice for Campbelltown to come and show they support their club. Then, we will have to reassess whether we continue to run games here at a loss," he said at the time.
>
This week, Mayer refused to speculate on what would happen if a repeat of the Round 6 crowd figure occurred. Instead, he implored the locals to come out and support a side sitting in the top six.
>
"That won't happen – failure is not an option. We've deliberately and intentionally targeted this game to have the crowd that we believe is appropriate. 12,500 is reasonable. It's realistic. We think we can get that crowd," Mayer told NRL.com.
>
"The fact is we're the only game in Sydney on Saturday night. Even the casual observer that wants to come along and watch a quality game of football, come and do it. Come and see some of our young star players against the Baby Broncos."
>
Mayer's call-to-arms will have echoed through the entire region in the lead-up, having organised functions with players almost every single day this week – a rarity in rugby league.
>
A special Women in League Movie Night was celebrated in Macarthur Square on Monday night; a free barbecue was set up at PCYC Minto on Tuesday; the club mascot and cheerleaders will be paraded through town centre on Wednesday; players will visit the Razorback Gala Day on Thursday; and finally, an open training session will be held on Friday before a visit to the hospital.
>
"We've literally letter-box dropped 50,000 homes in a lot of growth areas such as Camden and Narellan," Mayer continued.
>
"We've been on cinema this week with a TV commercial promoting the game around $10\. Later this week we'll be using some of our venue partners, relationships with Wests Campbelltown, Liverpool Catholic Club, Wests Ashfield – we'll be promoting a very special family ticket price.
>
"We've been on 1000 telegraph poles advertising the game for over a week now. We're literally on buses and taxis driving in and around the south-west of Sydney. So we want everyone in the region to know this game is on. The call to arms has been well and truly taken up so far by our fans and our members and I've personally written to every one of our members this week for them to attend."
>
It will certainly be a challenge, given the absences of Origin stars Robbie Farah, Corey Parker, Matt Gillett, and Justin Hodges. Injuries to James Tedesco and Sam Thaiday won't help either.
>
An announcement on the status of the off-contract Tedesco would've helped, but Mayer said negotiations were still on-going.
>
"We've been pretty transparent about this. There's no doubt the club, the player himself and his management want to have James stay at the club. But they're never easy, these types of things. We're working to try and get a resolution," he said.

So they're only expecting 12,500? I'd be pretty disappointed if that is all that turns up, given the way we are playing this year, the $10 tickets and the amount of advertising being thrown at the game.

Ten dollar tickets,heaps and heaps of promotional work a quality game even minus some players, their are no excuses any more. Would love to see them pack the place, but I think their is a trend right across the NRL in 2014 to stay away so maybe 12500 is about what to expect.

Anyway get out their, this is a massive game for us a win is so important

And where was he after LO drew 8K? This guy is unbelievable

Personally i'd be disappointed if 12K turn up. $10 tickets, only game on in Sydney that day. You'd seriously be right to ask for at least 14K. I don't really have an issue with Mayer's comments. I really think he's just trying to stir up some passion and get a response from people who want to prove him wrong and attend.

12,000 will be brilliant. I'm expecting 9000 at most. We are missing our gun players and so are the Broncos. It's not the most attractive game.

@GNR4LIFE said:

we don't have to pay council fees to play at leichhardt so comparing the two is apples and oranges. regardless, the failures of one do not excuse the failures of another, for years the people of campbelltown have been complaining for years of a lack of presence in the area. I lived in balmain for years and never was i offered $10 tickets or a free bbq with the players. the club is doing everything in its power to draw a crowd and this attitude of some fans that every game is a battle between the two grounds for supremacy gets us nowhere.

I know there are players out, But i thought they would still get 15,000 on a fine night.

@dermo said:
@GNR4LIFE said:

we don't have to pay council fees to play at leichhardt so comparing the two is apples and oranges. regardless, the failures of one do not excuse the failures of another, for years the people of campbelltown have been complaining for years of a lack of presence in the area. I lived in balmain for years and never was i offered $10 tickets or a free bbq with the players. the club is doing everything in its power to draw a crowd and this attitude of some fans that every game is a battle between the two grounds for supremacy gets us nowhere.

I've really tried to take a back seat to complaining about things these days. A lot of the things people complain about are petty, i.e the size of the Magpie, best and less selling a 5 dollar WT's jumper without any white on it showing no recognition to the Magpie branding etc. I'll let others complain about that crap. But i think this is a reasonable thing to be annoyed over. Yes its been a great initiative but thats not the point. The point is the fact that whenever C-town pulls a low crowd the threats come out, yet when its the other way around he turns a blind eye. You might be right about the council fees being a motivation, but thats not the public's fault. Why should they be made to feel like the bad guys constantly, when crowds in the inner city never raise an eyebrow.

I'll be there with 4 others….looking forward to it as I have not been to CSS for 12 years.

15,000 is not unreasonable....anything less would be a huge disappointment given the media attention and cheap seats...

Sounds like the Teddy negotiations have become difficult....it can only mean the 2 parties can't agree on his real worth....

I fail to see how the only game on Saturday night has any relevance in the crowd we attract. I have read regularly on here how even our own fans won't travel to Campbelltown for a game so why would we expect fans of other teams to travel there to watch 2 teams they don't support.

Im just glad they changed from the standard advertising approach and have tried to take a different angle on how to connect with the public…

I found this to be the most interesting report made by Mayer in the article. With regards to Tedesco he stated, "there's no doubt the club, the player himself and his management want to have James stay at the club".

I'm not going to protest the lack of orange in the commemorative t-shirts.

:wahoo: :wahoo:

This morning fox replayed a game from the late 80's. It was Balmain Vs Penrith at LO (capacity crowd) Balmain was leading with about 10 to go. The ground announcer over the p.a. said "Wests have just beaten Manly" a huge cheer went up from the crowd. Made me smile.

@Tigerdon said:
This morning fox replayed a game from the late 80's. It was Balmain Vs Penrith at LO (capacity crowd) Balmain was leading with about 10 to go. The ground announcer over the p.a. said "Wests have just beaten Manly" a huge cheer went up from the crowd. Made me smile.

Yeah, was there and it was pretty well the norm for Wests to get a cheer when good results came over the speakers, and not just against your neighbours don. Yet fifteen years after uniting, some vitriol still flies around here. Go figure.

@Tigerdon said:

I miss the days pre-fox and internet when you'd be at a game and the GA would come over the PA with scores from the other games and there'd always be a roar when there was an upset, particularly involving Manly.

Everyone hates manly

Even the casual observer that wants to come along and watch a quality game of football, come and do it. Come and see some of our young star players against the Baby Broncos."

Cambo suffers from its location.
Ive never lived there, I only go there 2,3 or 4 times a year
I dont think many casuals will atend, unless theyre from Cambo

Other than this game, everything else cambo has is available eveywhere else…its just very far for anyone NOT from there

Latest posts

Back