Falou to new Western Sdney side..

benjibrotown

According to the people on the couch (AFL show) they annouced that it is immanent that Falou will annouce signing with the new Wester Sydney AFL team within the next 24 hours.. Another loss from the NRL..
In my opinion he shouldnt be picked for QLD, give Lote or Tate a run.

..Broncos star Israel Folau will quit NRL and join GWS team in AFL From Telegraph

ISRAEL Folau has decided to walk out on rugby league and will sign a $1 million-a-season contract with the Greater Western Sydney AFL team by week's end.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal Folau has privately agreed to terms with the AFL's newest franchise - and he has even stated he is keen to play at full-forward.

"The deal with GWS will be done by the end of the week," a highly placed source confirmed last night.

Folau's decision will come as a massive blow to the NRL and will give the new GWS franchise a huge boost in terms of its profile in the Sydney market.

Queensland officials will now have to wrestle with the merits of playing Folau in Origin II.

The Melbourne Rebels were officially ruled out of the race for one of league's hottest talents last Friday.

Folau, 21, grew up at Minto in western Sydney and will quickly settle back into the area with family when he starts the new mega-rich contract, worth $3 million over three years.

While sceptics will question the value of Folau's deal, AFL sources are confident he can make the transition - even comparing him to Hawthorn spearhead Lance Franklin due to his size, strength and speed. Folau has been tested by AFL experts and he was found to be strong in key performance areas.

"The same testing protocol that Karmichael Hunt went through Israel has gone through, and the same conclusions were drawn in terms of his capacity to successfully make the transition," said the source.

Recently asked what role he thought he could play should he switch codes, Folau said: "Maybe a full-forward or something like that. There would be a lot of skills I would have to learn to try to adapt to their game pretty quick. If I make the transition there, it's going to be a big challenge."

GWS will enter the VFL - the second-tier competition in Victoria - next season, where Folau will see his first Aussie rules action. Sydneysiders can expect to see Folau for the first time in his new code in the NAB Cup competition in February.

Folau discussed his future with former Broncos teammate and Gold Coast Football Club recruit Hunt this week. Like Hunt, Folau's contract will be heavily paid as promotional work with his playing salary more relative to his experience.

While Brisbane and rugby's Rebels were only able to offer Folau around $500,000 per year, GWS and the AFL blew the other codes out of the water with their lucrative package.

In AFL terms, it is his kicking ability that remains the biggest question mark hanging over his potential performance levels.

But former Collingwood full-forward and renowned kicking coach Brian Taylor yesterday said Folau's kicking skills could be brought up to speed.

"The really good teachers will tell you the blank canvas is better to work with than the one that has already been painted," Taylor said.

He said he understood the desire to play Folau at full-forward because other spots may not be suitable.

"There is no way he could play in the midfield," he said.

"He would be asked to run flat out for eight minutes. That would be a real concern. If I was playing fullback on Israel Folau the first thing I would do is take him in to traffic. Make him run. Make four or five leads."

Has anybody ever seen the bloke kick?

What a disgrace, it's happening way to often these days..very sad
all for a bit more money..greedy bunch..no loyalty wat so ever!

he shouldnt be allowed to play any more origins this year neither!

Man I hate this AFL who are trying to take over + take rugby league players..
It is war now, hope the AFL teams fail massively.

The sooner grubs like this are gone the better.

I'm not one to complain about player salaries, some of the crap they have to put up with in public makes up for it a bit, but when a no talent hack like Folau, who aside from jumping in the air or being given the ball 10 metres out from the line, has no real rugby league skill at all, turns his nose up at the near 500k a year he's on, enough is enough.

Hope he does go, maybe a player who is actually deserving may get something out of it.

Cast your minds back to the start of the decade. Big name guys left League for another game. But it wasn't AFL it was Union. We lost Lote, Sailor and Rogers, among others. All these big name guys came back. Did the code suffer while they were gone? No. Will this be any different? No.

@Marshall_magic said:
Cast your minds back to the start of the decade. Big name guys left League for another game. But it wasn't AFL it was Union. We lost Lote, Sailor and Rogers, among others. All these big name guys came back. Did the code suffer while they were gone? No. Will this be any different? No.

Yea im sure hunt will be back

i think folau might have better chance at afl
but then again haven't seen him kick

Surprise surprise surprise…. The writing was on the wall ages ago for this.

In fact I remember starting a thread about this topic quite a while ago when he came out with the stupid calls that he hoped the gayfl would be succesful in western sydney whilst he was at a school rugby league coaching clinic.

The bloke's a moron, so good riddance.

he will be back… just like timana tahu... lote tuqiri... matt rogers.... and soon karmichael hunt... they all realised NRL is the best sport around & now its falou's turn

As Marshall Magic said, he'll be back, he's only going for the money. I would be more concerned if he left league for less money….

Look at what Del and Timana have said about Union recently, it's only about the money, they know where the real competition is and what they prefer to play.

Moved to Brisbane supposidly because he missed his family and now coming to Sydney for the big payout. Money grabbing halfwit..goodbye Israel I for one won't miss you and will come crawling back when you fall on your arse.

This is absolutley nothing to do with the Salary cap as this guy would never be happy and is happy to crap on his fans. Would be cleaning streets if he was paid enough.

If they have got him for publicity good luck to them. He's lucky to string two words together in a sentence, and even than its a mumble.

AFL are also going to have a massive problem with paying overs just for publicity. It's not as if their current players are going to be too happy with Folau getting $1M a year. Hopefully this starts a bidding war that will send AFL player salaries skyrocketting and do them out of a bucket load of cash

He's being paid upwards of 1mil a season! Check our the righteous police :unamused:

Why wouldn't you take the money though? He's a professional athlete, with the personality of a brick. I can't see him doing TV or becoming involved with Rugby League once his career is over…. he would be STUPID NOT TO TAKE THE OFFER from the AFL.

It just reflects how pathetic our administrators are, given the fact the AFL can afford to offer him so much and we could only offer half... which is considered HUGE in league circles!

But the bashers and hypocrits come out and say "money hungry", "grub" and so on... yet then complain when one is caught urinating in public or being a general twit claiming they are professional sportsman and so on...

So which one is it? We can't have it both ways... The game today is a professional outfit... has been for years.

Well done to him...

Cue Beestinghead Gould ranting about the salary cap and the NRL administration

The money he got offered is too good to pass up. Let him go, so what. I wonder if players would second guess about leaving league if they were put on a 3 year ban on playing rep football if they return. I hated the fact Ennis got picked for Origin but what burned me even more was Tahu's selection. He jumps ship to Rugby, bags the tripe out of league, comes back and is rewarded with a state jumper. Seriously, has the game's administration possess a backbone at all?

@Kaiser said:
He's being paid upwards of 1mil a season! Check our the righteous police :unamused:

Why wouldn't you take the money though? He's a professional athlete, with the personality of a brick. I can't see him doing TV or becoming involved with Rugby League once his career is over…. he would be STUPID NOT TO TAKE THE OFFER from the AFL.

It just reflects how pathetic our administrators are, given the fact the AFL can afford to offer him so much and we could only offer half... which is considered HUGE in league circles!

But the bashers and hypocrits come out and say "money hungry", "grub" and so on... yet then complain when one is caught urinating in public or being a general twit claiming they are professional sportsman and so on...

So which one is it? We can't have it both ways... The game today is a professional outfit... has been for years.

Well done to him...

I've got no problem with him taking the money, but I think the AFL is sitting a dangerous precedent in regards to their player payments. Existing players aren't going to cop some blow-in earning this sort of coin. If they know that the AFL has this sort of coin, they will all be after a piece of the action

Back