Finch & Reffs Back Tigers No Try

system

NRL referees boss Robert Finch warns of NFL style obstruction plays
By Stuart Honeysett
August 11, 2009 .NRL referees boss Robert Finch has defended the decision by video referee Phil Cooley to controversially disallow a try to Wests Tigers winger Taniela Tuiaki, claiming 90 per cent of officials agreed with the ruling at a debrief on Monday.

Finch also rejected suggestions by Sydney Roosters coach Brad Fittler that referees were too aggressive and talked down to players and instead said captain Craig Fitzgibbon had been the instigator in his sideline confrontation with referee Gavin Badger.

Angry Tigers coach Tim Sheens blasted the decision by Cooley to disallow Tuiaki's try for obstruction as decoy runner John Skandalis prevented Sydney Roosters replacement Riley Brown from making a tackle on Robbie Farah in the lead-up.

Replays suggested the call was tough as Farah had fended Brown away before passing to Tuiaki, and Skandalis' contact was minimal. Sheens claimed "we're playing in skirts" before branding the ruling as ridiculous.

However, Finch said only one of the 10 officials at Monday's debrief would have awarded the try under the benefit of the doubt rule. The others agreed that Cooley had made the right call.

"That was no try. You can't have blokes like Skandalis standing in the Roosters defensive line," Finch said.

"We had a video referees meeting today and we're all comfortable with that decision. In that meeting there were eight video referees plus myself and (assistant) Stuart Raper.

"There was one that may have given it benefit of the doubt."

Given the obstruction rule has been described as a lottery this season, Finch said he was happy to review it again at the end of the year but warned the game could become like the NFL if measures weren't adopted to limit decoy runners and block plays.

"The interpretations that we use were put up to every first grade coach and captain at the end of last year and 94 per cent voted it should be maintained," Finch said.

"We are implementing what the game wanted. If people are looking for black and white in obstruction, the game doesn't allow for that.

"We don't want to head down the path of NFL."

Sheens rejected Finch's explanation and asked if Brown had been impeded from making a tackle on Farah then why didn't referees Gavin Badger or Tony De Las Heras immediately blow a penalty.

"I am concerned that we've gone a full season now with two referees and we get a lot more decisions right between them towards the back end of the season," Sheens said.

"In that particular scenario you've got everyone saying it wasn't a try. The referee at the time does not penalise Robbie."

Under the current system I did not know what it would come back as. I would call it a try for any team really.

What gets me though is that the classic shepherd has been let go without penalty numerous times this season. It's like they are still making it up as they go along.

Bottom line though is that Finch has presided over the most consistantly flawed period of officiating in recent memory in terms of consistancy and officials knowing the rules and the hapless turd does not deserve a job

really what else would that muppett finch say. he always backs his refs when they are right or wrong. dead set joke decision and we are just kucjy it did not effect the final result.

imo it was a clear cut try.

Skando was slightly past the defensive line and certainly impeded no body.

It scares me that 9/10 refs call no try.

Maybe a little commonsense could prevail. There is the "obvious" obstruction and then there are the ones

where nobody is actually obstructed. Too hard to get this right?

Bottom line though is that Finch has presided over the most consistantly flawed period of officiating in recent memory in terms of consistancy and officials knowing the rules and the hapless turd does not deserve a job

I said they myself less than half a hour ago Smeg.

It was a deadset try for all money. The NRL has got the players playing in skirts and referees wearing pink outfits. All we need now is the coaches to start wearing tutus..

And you wonder why people are watching AFL and Union instead.

The roosters defender had a hand on the player with the ball and had every opportunity to make a tackle and chose not to take it. That is not obstruction.

How much more proof do we need to throw these officials out of their roles? Who is really paying them?

Being an old referee I always try and judge the decisions without showing any bias to my team… It was a try.

All I ask for is consistency. Last week it would have been a try (ala Sandow). But at their de-brief that all said - "Gee. Sandow's shouldn't have been awarded." Then they all come out this week ready to call a no try on anything even mildly resembling a shepherd.

Based on past calls - it was definitely a TRY!

Latest posts

Staff online

Back