Fishing Thread

How do you catch your squid 🦑?
When the lure is about 5–10 feet below the surface, whip your fishing rod upward and aggressively a couple of times. This action mimics the movement of prawn, which squid love to feed on. Afterwards, allow the lure to fall back down again. Make sure you have moments where the lure is motionless as this is usually the time when the squid strikes. A slow retrieve is preferred so that the squid has ample time to latch onto your lure. If you retrieve too fast, they might detach from the lure. Also, you must have a smooth drag to prevent ripping out their tentacles as they take the bait.

Either with a slow retrieve on a squid jig or a pilchard spiked onto a metal 'pole' with spikes on the end. If you live in Sydney it is the season. My brother usually catches a lot down the Gong. Where I am in Nambucca Heads there is nada as far as I know.
Last time I was out fishing there was a Greek guy catching squid and he swore by pilchards, and was doing ok.

There should be some good videos on how to catch them on YouTube - for example,
Just bear in mind how and where they catch them in Victoria is a bit different to NSW as far as I know so stick to videos for NSW. Talk with your local tackle shop about where and how to get them but beware of the BS they may spin. One of the guys in my local tackle shop has caught more fish than there are in the world - total wank
How do you catch your squid 🦑?
Hang around Eastern Suburbs and pretend you are james Tedesco.

Do you still fish out of your kayak St1 and if so, what sort do you own.
Do you know anything about inflatable kayaks? as I've been thinking about buying a fairly good quality one for quite a while eg. Air Glide 385, Sea Eagle 385 fast track angler or Advanced Frame Sport Elite.
BZN, I have your standard, bog average kayak mate. A comfortable seat and a rod holder either side. Small deck at the back for my tackle box and a holder for my net. Suits my needs as I get up into the mangrove backwaters where power boats can't get. Most of my spots are within a 10/15 minute paddle from the ramp. Sorry, can't help you with inflatables mate although I have seen plenty of people using them up here. Good luck with it, they are heaps of fun.

Reactions: BZN
BZN, I have your standard, bog average kayak mate. A comfortable seat and a rod holder either side. Small deck at the back for my tackle box and a holder for my net. Suits my needs as I get up into the mangrove backwaters where power boats can't get. Most of my spots are within a 10/15 minute paddle from the ramp. Sorry, can't help you with inflatables mate although I have seen plenty of people using them up here. Good luck with it, they are heaps of fun.
Thanks St1: You've obviously got a hard-shell wide bodied fishing kayak which I imagine would be really stable being exactly what you need in a good fishing kayak.

Now being closer to 80 yoa than 70 I would have trouble getting a hard-shell yak on the roof of my car, being the reason I am thinking of the inflatable yak.

I would like to get into some serious paddling to take me to some good spots to catch some of the dreaded Perch that are infesting our rivers, but I've never paddled a yak, are yaks in general fairly easy to paddle at a reasonable speed?

Thanks St1: You've obviously got a hard-shell wide bodied fishing kayak which I imagine would be really stable being exactly what you need in a good fishing kayak.

Now being closer to 80 yoa than 70 I would have trouble getting a hard-shell yak on the roof of my car, being the reason I am thinking of the inflatable yak.

I would like to get into some serious paddling to take me to some good spots to catch some of the dreaded Perch that are infesting our rivers, but I've never paddled a yak, are yaks in general fairly easy to paddle at a reasonable speed?
I'm hearing you BZN. I'm 67 and 110kgs, fairly fit and at times it can be a struggle to toss the yak on the racks. Like you said, they are pretty stable. I've never upended it into the drink so far and they are easy to paddle once you find your technique. By perch I presume you are refering to redfin. They are a pest alright but great eating and give you a run when pulling them in. What part of the country are you fishing mate ?

Just in passing, our neighbor rocked up to our door earlier with a bag full of tailor, and we scored a couple.
Already been in the pan, cooked and devoured.

(The neighbor caught them in the early evening off Narrabeen beach. Lots caught there apparently, last night and tonight.)

I'm hearing you BZN. I'm 67 and 110kgs, fairly fit and at times it can be a struggle to toss the yak on the racks. Like you said, they are pretty stable. I've never upended it into the drink so far and they are easy to paddle once you find your technique. By perch I presume you are refering to redfin. They are a pest alright but great eating and give you a run when pulling them in. What part of the country are you fishing mate ?
Thanks St1:
I'm now living in the Port Macquarie area.
Strangely I'm not a great fish eater at all, but I would love to do my bit to help lessen the population of the pest perch that are taking over our waterways and taking over from our native fish.
I didn't know they were called redfin and I thought they were basically pet food or adding to a compost heap.
I know there is a group called Pest Fish Busters but I haven't contacted them yet to find out where these pesky perch are located mainly.

Got a 2nd hand 13ft 6 in 7 wrap Snyderglas beach rod last year. It's been at a mates in QLD but finally got it here today.
Needs a new butt/ sandspike and possibly new guides but I'm looking forward to testing it out when I put the new butt on it
Tailor fishing started off positive a couple of weeks back but has gone quiet again. Pros have been out netting the mullet so that has probably affected the fish numbers. Anyone else getting much off the beach?
The 'new' 50 year old rod works a treat. Casts well.
For the moment I've converted it from an Alvey into an eggbeater rod.
Bagged out on tailor last night and walked away with them still on the chew.

Not cheap but you can buy a winch to load a yak onto the roof. Brother uses one for his 2 person Hobie.
Another solution is a small trailer. Once again, not cheap but......

Thanks St1:
I'm now living in the Port Macquarie area.
Strangely I'm not a great fish eater at all, but I would love to do my bit to help lessen the population of the pest perch that are taking over our waterways and taking over from our native fish.
I didn't know they were called redfin and I thought they were basically pet food or adding to a compost heap.
I know there is a group called Pest Fish Busters but I haven't contacted them yet to find out where these pesky perch are located mainly.
Not sure what type of perch you a talking about BZN. Thought maybe redfin but not if you are at Port. Carp are the big problem in western rivers but again haven't heard of them in rivers around Port. Bit of a mystery, I might have to do a bit of research.

Not cheap but you can buy a winch to load a yak onto the roof. Brother uses one for his 2 person Hobie.
Thanks for your great suggestions mikey:
Your Brother must be very rich :) to be able to afford a 2 person Hobie, as I believe they are the ants pants in yaks.

Not sure what type of perch you a talking about BZN. Thought maybe redfin but not if you are at Port. Carp are the big problem in western rivers but again haven't heard of them in rivers around Port. Bit of a mystery, I might have to do a bit of research.
Yes, I feel you are 💯 correct St1: re the carp being in the western rivers, so it looks like I will have to jump in my car and do some touring to those areas. What a great excuse to get out of the house for a while. :)

Thanks for your great suggestions mikey:
Your Brother must be very rich :) to be able to afford a 2 person Hobie, as I believe they are the ants pants in yaks.
He is as tight as a fishes butt unless it's food or fishing :)
They are good but just as much work as a boat on the lunch and retrieve. If you're just doing short local stuff a mid-range thing with lots of stability and easy to paddle (or push is the go).
Keep an eye out FBook - they do come up at good prices. Negotiate fair but hard.

This is the type of loader I'm talking about.

Members online

Back