Folkes 'toughening Wests Tigers up'

Captain_Awesome

Wests Tigers centre Chris Lawrence says the presence of premiership-winning former coach Steve Folkes as the NRL side's conditioner has made them mentally tougher for the season ahead.

Lawrence is relishing Folkes' tough fitness regime as he aims to stay injury free and finally cement a place in the game's representative teams.

The gifted back has played for the Prime Minister's XI but injury prevented him from taking up the spot he earned in last year's City side.

"I was a bit disappointed last year, I got picked for the City team but then got injured and missed all the rep season so I just want to first and foremost stay fit," he told AAP.

"If I can stay fit and get on the field for the Tigers then it's just a matter of playing good footy.

"I know I can play good footy but it's also about consistent footy as well … then it's out of my hands."

This year Lawrence also has State of Origin in his sights.

"Definitely. First City-Country because I got picked last year but didn't get to play so I'd love to play in that game," he said.

The 21-year-old has battled back and groin injuries during the off-season, but said Folkes, who coached the Bulldogs to the premiership in 2004, had made a big difference to the Tigers' preparation.

"Folkesy's sort of made us mentally tougher, making sure we turn up each day for training whether we feel sore some days or you're mentally tired some days, he makes sure we turn up and are ready to train hard," Lawrence said.

"There might be weeks you're a bit down (during the season) so it should help our consistency.

"He definitely has a lot of variety and there's a lot more tough sessions.

"Where in the past we'd have one or two a week, we seem to have something tough every day."

The arrival this week of dual international Lote Tuqiri has placed big expectations on the 2005 premiers, but Lawrence said the Tigers were setting their own standards.

"We're not listening to that but I think we're expecting a lot more of ourselves," he said.

"Last year we were very disappointed not to make the finals, we sort of believed in ourselves that we were good enough.

"We want to put the pressure on ourselves to try and make the finals because we believe we are good enough."

Over the past few years there have been a few players who were getting away with a few things at training. They knew they could, when they were training with the same staff all the time for a few years on end. Since Folkes has arrived, these players aren't getting away with it anymore. And they know it!! Everything in this department has been freshened up and the results will no doubt speak for themselves on the field this year.

good to see the players knew they needed to be that bit more mentally tougher.
hoping for the team to be able to grind out wins, in tight matches, similar to what the sharks did in 2007.

@crouching_tiger said:
Over the past few years there have been a few players who were getting away with a few things at training. They knew they could, when they were training with the same staff all the time for a few years on end. Since Folkes has arrived, these players aren't getting away with it anymore. And they know it!! Everything in this department has been freshened up and the results will no doubt speak for themselves on the field this year.

We're all hoping that Folkes training regimes help the Tigers out on the field. The team has to play a bit hard harder and smarter this year. Farah has said the Tigers attack won't change, but the defence has room for improvement, particularly on the tryline, as well as being able to grind it out in tough conditions which has been a Tigers weakness for years now. Glad Lawrence is finally injury free too, hopefully we'll see him take his game to a new level this year.

Wests Tigers centre Chris Lawrence says the presence of premiership-winning former coach Steve Folkes as the NRL side's conditioner has made them mentally tougher for the season ahead.

Lawrence is relishing Folkes' tough fitness regime as he aims to stay injury free and finally cement a place in the game's representative teams.

The gifted back has played for the Prime Minister's XI but injury prevented him from taking up the spot he earned in last year's City side.

"I was a bit disappointed last year, I got picked for the City team but then got injured and missed all the rep season so I just want to first and foremost stay fit," he told AAP.

"If I can stay fit and get on the field for the Tigers then it's just a matter of playing good footy.

"I know I can play good footy but it's also about consistent footy as well … then it's out of my hands."

This year Lawrence also has State of Origin in his sights.

"Definitely. First City-Country because I got picked last year but didn't get to play so I'd love to play in that game," he said.

The 21-year-old has battled back and groin injuries during the off-season, but said Folkes, who coached the Bulldogs to the premiership in 2004, had made a big difference to the Tigers' preparation.

"Folkesy's sort of made us mentally tougher, making sure we turn up each day for training whether we feel sore some days or you're mentally tired some days, he makes sure we turn up and are ready to train hard," Lawrence said.

"There might be weeks you're a bit down (during the season) so it should help our consistency.

"He definitely has a lot of variety and there's a lot more tough sessions.

"Where in the past we'd have one or two a week, we seem to have something tough every day."

The arrival this week of dual international Lote Tuqiri has placed big expectations on the 2005 premiers, but Lawrence said the Tigers were setting their own standards.

"We're not listening to that but I think we're expecting a lot more of ourselves," he said.

"Last year we were very disappointed not to make the finals, we sort of believed in ourselves that we were good enough.

"We want to put the pressure on ourselves to try and make the finals because we believe we are good enough."

By David Benuik
Source: [Sydney Morning Herald](http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/folkes-toughening-wests-tigers-up-20100307-pqfu.html)

Folkes coming into the coaching staff was a very smart move… Hopefully we'll see a Tigers outfit that can really press on in those close matches and absolutely blow out the score line in those we dominate!

@Kaiser said:
Folkes coming into the coaching staff was a very smart move… Hopefully we'll see a Tigers outfit that can really press on in those close matches and absolutely blow out the score line in those we dominate!

Couldn't agree more. A wise move indeed. 7 days to go. Tick, tick, tick… can't wait. go yo Tigers..

folksey is the man with the plan. its no nonense this year. it should realistically make a world of difference on the field, fingers crossed.

Steve Folkes was always a fit player and a quality one at that.It looks like its rubbing off on WT.The fitter they are the better they will be.Can't wait for round 1 monday….......
\
\
\
:sign: :supporter: :righton:

first thing is i hope lawrence is 100% with the back.hope he isn't just dealing with the pain and then it gradually keeps getting worse through the season.

the timing of folkes has come at a perfect time for a player like lui.
alot of kids see their natural talents wasted because they don't put in the hard work.
should be good for alot of the youngsters coming through if folkes stays for a while.

Folkes was a very good coach at the Bulldogs. Unfortunately, he was pushed out by internal factions at the Dogs and he will bring a much needed discipline to the Tigers. Up there with one of the best signings for 2010…

Lets hope he can turn our pack into the likes of the Dogs in 04\. No fan of the dogs at ALL but Mason, O'Meley, Ryan and Asotasi that year were probably at their toughest ever. Note that Jason Cayless played against them for the Roosters in the GF. Hope he hits good form early in the season

Back