Food thread

About 10 years ago, someone posted a recipe for Pear and Sweet Potato soup. I, stupidly, didn't write down the recipe, so if it was you, would you please, pretty please, post it again?

About 10 years ago, someone posted a recipe for Pear and Sweet Potato soup. I, stupidly, didn't write down the recipe, so if it was you, would you please, pretty please, post it again?
Suzie you asked that before and I sent it to you 🤣

INGREDIENTS​

• 1½ tablespoons butter
  • 2 onions, finely chopped
  • 6 sweet potatoes a little bit smaller than the size of a tennis ball peeled and diced
  • 2 largish pears, peeled, cored and diced without juice
  • 6-8 cups chicken broth, I make my own chicken broth by boiling then simmer chicken bones and adding 1 table spoon of chicken stock powder. I simmer for approx 2 hrs.
  • 1½ cups white wine, guzzle the rest 🤣
  • 1½ cups Greek yogurt
  • chopped fresh parsley , to garnish the top of the broth.
  • DIRECTIONS
  • Melt the butter in a large pot over a medium heat, and sauté onion for 2-3 minutes until softened but not brown.
  • Add the diced sweet potato and diced pear, and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
  • Add the chicken broth to the pot, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 20-25 minutes, or until the sweet potato (and pears) are soft.
  • If including wine in your soup, add this in the last 10 minutes while the soup is simmering.
  • Cool the soup for about 30 minutes.
  • If using canned pears, drain these well, reserve the juice and add the pears now.
  • They will help to cool down the soup.
  • There is no need to chop the pears as the soup is about to be processed.
  • In batches, process the chicken broth, sweet potatoes and pears until smooth in a blender or a food processor.
  • Adjust the thickness of the soup so that it is to your liking by adding either more pears or some of the reserved pear juice, or more wine.
  • Return the soup to the pot.
  • If serving straight away: gently reheat, without bringing to the boil, stir in a swirl of yogurt and garnish with fresh mint or parsley.
  • If serving later: refrigerate after processing.
  • If taking to work for lunch: take the required quantity of yogurt in a separate container and spoon onto soup after it has been heated in the microwave.
  • If freezing: freeze after processing.
  • When ready to serve, defrost, gently reheat, without bringing to the boil, stir in a swirl of yogurt and garnish with fresh mint or parsley. During the recipe where I say I, then you should insert my missus. It's her trusted recipe that she downloaded. I can vouch that it is magnifico. She serves it sometimes with herb bread, num num 😻 this is downloaded from hell knows where, we'll see if we can find you the recipe or a similar one online. 👍

I eat a lot of salads. This one is delicious.

Lion House Sarah's Salad​

Lion House Sarah's Salad
Lion House Sarah's Salad

RECIPE​

Convert to Metric
1 headIceberg Lettuce
3 stripsBacon
½ 10-ounce p…Peas (frozen)
¼ teaspoonSugar
½ teaspoonSalt
¼ teaspoonPepper
½ cupSwiss Cheese (shredded)
⅔ cupGreen Onion (chopped)
¼ cupMayonnaise
¼ cupSalad Dressing

Anyone ever do any cooking with crab?
🦀

What's the go?
Thinking of trying my hand at a Cambodian crab curry.
That sounds delicious man. Did you make it? Photos plz.

I looked it up and it looks pretty simple. Condensed milk; Maggie sauce salt pepper and some other ingredients. Can pick it all up from Asian grocers

Chinese style is pretty easy too

I looked it up and it looks pretty simple. Condensed milk; Maggie sauce salt pepper and some other ingredients. Can pick it all up from Asian grocers

They look great. Coconut milk or cream is used quite often in chilli or curry crab recipes as well.

Planning a crabbing trip my next day off.
Don't wanna pay for em.

Even though it hasn't rained for a couple of days here the Macquarie river is still close to breaking the bank though Bathurst.
The people down stream from Cowra are going to be in a bit of trouble as Whyangla dam is overflowing.
The local news said they were releasing 25 Megalitres a day.
Thinking of everyone affected .
Hang tough BT1.

Ok, here’s my offering. As my wife and I have gotten older, whilst we still cook, we also adapt existing dishes and this one is a fave.
1. Go to Aldi and buy a Chicken/Penne pasta bake $9.99
2. Go to WW and buy a beetroot/feta salad pack $6 plus an avocado and a punnet of cherry tomatoes ( Solarno best imo). Then buy a small container of thickened cream, chilli flakes and extra tasty Parmesan cheese.
3. In your kitchen pre heat oven to degrees 200.
We use fan force for all round coverage.
4. Open Chick/Pasta and allow to sit for a few minutes.
5. Add cream to Chic/Pasta , not too much but cover most of it. Then sprinkle chilli flakes on top (to your preferred heat level), finish by covering entire dish in Parmesan.
6. Wrap in aluminium foil before putting in oven for approx 45 minutes.
7. Get a large salad bowl and empty the salad ingredients in, peel avo and slice into bite size pieces and add to the salad.
Wash and chop about 10 cherry tomatoes in half and add to the salad.
8. Dress the salad with the packet of dressing provided and give it a good toss.
9. When chick/ pasta ready serve up on a plate and either add salad or take salad to the table.
10. Eat and enjoy.
11. We find it’s a great lunch, and of course wash it down with a glass or two of your favourite vino.
12. Bread or rolls optional but I like a couple of slices of WW Garlic/Olive oil sourdough to mop up.
Hope you find this attractive and look forward to any questions or feedback.
And it’s oh so easy to prepare !

Before I go to sleep I’ll also share one of my favourite Malaysian curry dishes. This was originally borrowed from an old book but never fails to satisfy curry lovers.
Serves 4 easily but needs a very long prep time so make sure you’re up for that.
Ingredients;
- 1kg beef- best cut not really necessary as it’s going to get extensive cooking( we use chuck or topside).
- one large brown onion
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 piece of ginger the size of your thumb
- 2 tablespoons of coriander powder
- 2 tablespoons of ground chilli powder( this can be reduced if you’re not a curry fan)
- 1 desert spoon of ground fennel seeds
- 1 heaped teaspoon of fine white pepper
- 10 cardamom seeds
- 12 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 desert spoon tumeric
- 2 lemon grass stalks, lightly crushed
- 2 cups of grated coconut
- 3 cans of coconut cream (400g)
- juice of 3 fresh limes
- 3 cups of water
- salt to taste
- white long grain rice

Chop the meat into 3cm deep cubes, mince ginger and garlic, dice the onion.
Put meat, garlic, ginger and onions into a heavy cooking pot, pour over the coconut cream, the lime juice and all the spices . ALL of them.
Allow to marinate for a couple of hours.
Add the water and grated coconut and put pot on a low heat, bringing it to a simmer. Simmer for about 4-6 hours, stirring regularly.
When the meat is falling apart, and the sauce has become thick, sticky and somewhat dry in appearance , it’s ready to serve.
Remove cinnamon stick and lemon grass and serve over white long grain rice.
For added taste and effect it can be served alongside a platter of sliced vegetables like cucumber and carrot with an easy satay sauce to dip them in( bought one is fine).
Of course the optimal accompaniment is ice cold beer( try something different like Tiger or Singha)for effect. Also wine is ok but must be very chilled( red and white), maybe alongside some ice water for the table.
Enjoy !
Cheers.

Back