Forum Factions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember that. Sheens did do that. Even before combining the reserve grade teams, he had all the NRL contracted players playing for Balmain Ryde Eastwood.
Apparently this was an issue for Wests Magpies supporters back then as their team was seen as inferior.
Possibly the same would happen again. But really I do believe that WTs as a professional organisation are missing out on an opportunity to be unified by trying to keep a number of unaffiliated (no supporter connection to WTs) magpies fans appeased.
So why not have both?
It’s too confusing at the moment.

A second reserve grade side is just a waste of money - for whoever has to pay for it.
Talking about all the extra "Talent" this would allow us to keep is just a dream...
Considering we didn't have enough talent to make 1 team competitive this year.

If anyone is any good, They'll get poached to another feeder side.... Or Q Cup and get paid decently.
We're the wooden spooners currently... (Bottom 8 Side 87% of our existence)
Imagining that any player on the up would want to play in the reserves to our "reserve grade" side and see it as some sort of career progression is batshit crazy.

I wouldn’t mind the club resurrecting the Wests Tigers reserve grade team, but not at the expense of the Magpies team. It would be great to have both, whereby one is filled by Local South West boys and men looking for an additional pathway to first grade / stay and play for their area in the highest level without going professional.
The Wests Tigers reserve grade team should be made up of promoted Flegg players and remaining contracted top 30 / Dev players.
This would give us the greatest range of talent to choose from and would provide a supporting option for supporters of Balmain, Wests Magpies Inner West, South West and fans that follow & support junior pathways progression.
We’re flat out paying for Jacko to fly domestically 😂

Yada yada yada - obviuosly a rusted on Balmain supporter if you're still trotting out that lemon.
Lemon?
It’s the truth.
For what it’s worth I hate WestsTigers losing as much as I hated Balmain losing.

How did I start it. I got chastised for having an opinion ages ago, now I'm staying out of it and want the thread to dissolve.
Yeh, apologies. On Sunday you responded to a post from July 29 and it seems to have escalated from there. There's nothing wrong with the discussion, it's just annoying when it gets hijacked by the "we saved you" followed by the "no, we saved you" crap. Truth is Wests Magpies were basket cases in the early days of the JV and later Balmain went out the back door.
Personally, I don't see a problem with the NSW Cup team being Wests Magpies but clearly others do. Would love to see Balmain have a team in the NSW Cup but I'm not sure that will happen any time soon.

Yeh, apologies. On Sunday you responded to a post from July 29 and it seems to have escalated from there. There's nothing wrong with the discussion, it's just annoying when it gets hijacked by the "we saved you" followed by the "no, we saved you" crap. Truth is Wests Magpies were basket cases in the early days of the JV and later Balmain went out the back door.
Personally, I don't see a problem with the NSW Cup team being Wests Magpies but clearly others do. Would love to see Balmain have a team in the NSW Cup but I'm not sure that will happen any time soon.
Imo Father Time is slowly disintegrating the argument and must say there is a lot less now than in previous years. I myself have followed weststigers longer than I ever did Balmain. Like most I don’t care what reserves are called and only that a pathway is there

I remember that. Sheens did do that. Even before combining the reserve grade teams, he had all the NRL contracted players playing for Balmain Ryde Eastwood.
Apparently this was an issue for Wests Magpies supporters back then as their team was seen as inferior.
Possibly the same would happen again. But really I do believe that WTs as a professional organisation are missing out on an opportunity to be unified by trying to keep a number of unaffiliated (no supporter connection to WTs) magpies fans appeased.
So why not have both?
It’s too confusing at the moment.
They weren't just seen as inferior. They were the leftover dreggs that wouldn't get a run in other reggies team in the comp and ran a distant last because of Sheens decision. Its definitely an issue - no denying that. But its only a small part of the bigger picture. The club will never be unified ( no matter what we call ourselves ) until we have one home ground. I can't think of one other professional sporting organisation in the world playing out of 3 different home grounds.
It would be great if we had a board that had no affiliation with either Wests or Balmain and could make the hard decisions without worrying about either side of the JV complaining. Unfortunately would mean Ashfield giving up control and appointing a fully independent board or selling the licence. Can't see either happening in the near future.

What you have said there brother is exactly why the Weststigers will never be a true joint venture unless it becomes united 100%. Going backwards by having magpie v tigers in KOE doesn't add to the harmony of an NRL join venture imo.
This is my last post on this topic because I'm sick of all the rubbish.
The opinions of having a tiny strip of gold on our jerseys because its how much Balmain contributes totally does my head in. I can't say how I feel because apparently when you become staff on this forum you have to surrender one's opinion.
I just hope whatever happens in 20yrs from now , for the sake of ny grandchildren, that the "Weststigers" are black, gold and white and resemble a unified joint venture as it was intended from day one.

A second reserve grade side is just a waste of money - for whoever has to pay for it.
Talking about all the extra "Talent" this would allow us to keep is just a dream...
Considering we didn't have enough talent to make 1 team competitive this year.

If anyone is any good, They'll get poached to another feeder side.... Or Q Cup and get paid decently.
We're the wooden spooners currently... (Bottom 8 Side 87% of our existence)
Imagining that any player on the up would want to play in the reserves to our "reserve grade" side and see it as some sort of career progression is batshit crazy.
You what, screw it just name all senior professional elements of the club as the Wests Tigers brand.

Ideally one name: Wests Tigers. One homeground: a shiny new stadium, with a roof, somewhere out west. We can share it, but needs to be filled with Tigers colouring and signage. One logo on the jersey: remove the Balmain and Western Suburb logos. Training done at the COE. Players can buy/rent in areas where they are happy to commute to the COE from.

Isn't this what the Dogs did this year in Cup?
The Dogs Cup side as top side and Mounties were their Cup B side.

We don't have enough quality players to make up 2 NSW Cup sides and given the crowds would be expensive . People say they don't care what our Cup side is called ? Well if that's true just call it the same as our NRL side that is
Wests Tigers . Those that want it called Wests Magpies are not neutral .They are entitled to their opinion . I was a Balmain supporter for decades but once the merger took place I dropped my Allegiance to Balmain and adopted Wests Tigers as the only club I support . IMO I'd be happy if all teams called Wests Tigers and none Balmain but at the grass roots say up to Matt's and Ball probably need some continuity from the junior competitions . It seems to me that some want to maximise the profile of the Magpie brand but I was never a Western Suburbs Magpies supporter and never will be . I just want the Wests Tigers brand to be the main brand with the biggest profile . It needs all the help it can get these days
This is my opinion and I'm entitled to it as others are to theirs !

Imo Father Time is slowly disintegrating the argument and must say there is a lot less now than in previous years. I myself have followed weststigers longer than I ever did Balmain. Like most I don’t care what reserves are called and only that a pathway is there
100% right.

Father Time will destroy the argument completely within a few years.

I'm 20 (was born in 2001, after the merger) and I have never in my life had a discussion regarding Wests or Balmain with anyone close to my age.

There is no affiliation to either side because Wests Tigers is literally all we've known.

These debates will slowly disappear thankfully.

100% right.

Father Time will destroy the argument completely within a few years.

I'm 20 (was born in 2001, after the merger) and I have never in my life had a discussion regarding Wests or Balmain with anyone close to my age.

There is no affiliation to either side because Wests Tigers is literally all we've known.

These debates will slowly disappear thankfully.
just as the dinosaurs have before

What you have said there brother is exactly why the Weststigers will never be a true joint venture unless it becomes united 100%. Going backwards by having magpie v tigers in KOE doesn't add to the harmony of an NRL join venture imo.
This is my last post on this topic because I'm sick of all the rubbish.
The opinions of having a tiny strip of gold on our jerseys because its how much Balmain contributes totally does my head in. I can't say how I feel because apparently when you become staff on this forum you have to surrender one's opinion.
I just hope whatever happens in 20yrs from now , for the sake of ny grandchildren, that the "Weststigers" are black, gold and white and resemble a unified joint venture as it was intended from day one.
Clearly, we have differing opinions. I wasn't advocating a Balmain KOE side, I was just saying I wouldn't care if they had one. And, I'm not sure who said you weren't entitled to an opinion because you're a staff member. It certainly wasn't me.

Clearly, we have differing opinions. I wasn't advocating a Balmain KOE side, I was just saying I wouldn't care if they had one. And, I'm not sure who said you weren't entitled to an opinion because you're a staff member. It certainly wasn't me.
Yep, different page. I wasn't referring to you re my opinion.
Look, there goes a dog with a fluffy tail, or could be my twin brother 🤪

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back