Go Forward??

bbobb

Hi

Was at the game and whilwe played well to win I thought our go forward was once again ordinary. Keith went well but Moors and Cayless didn't offer much and Bryce is not really known for his metre-eating. I felt we were dominated in the ruck which didn't allow Robbie space hence he was quiet.

I am a little disappointed in the fact that we haven't improved in that aera of the game albeit this is the first game of the season. I think if we lay a good platform we will be extreemly competitive with our undoubted strike power

We need someone on the bench with a bit of size. We lost the way after 20mins and struggled to make 30m each set.

Daine Laurie would be handy this season.

Though Andrew Fifita should be a straight swap for Daniel Fitzhenry next week imo.

Mmm was at the game… really did lack the go foward... Cayless needs a few more games so to Moors, both have come off long injury layoffs and will need a few games to reach their full potential. WOnt be long before we have some good grunt of the bench :slight_smile:

I agree we really need Cayless to step up in the next few weeks.
Once Galloway and Gibbs went off that's when Manly got the momentum and really rolled through us.

Moors wasn't too bad at all, from where I was sitting. He didn't see much ball, or game time. Cayless needs a lot of match fitness and quickly. Fitzy's spot on the bench could be put to better use.. maybe A.Fifita, or Tupou would be perfect if/when he gets match fit.

@innsaneink said:
The bench use was woeful, and those that came off it added the impact of a snail.
We basically won with 14/15 men

Agreed…..

Gibbs and Galloway Hey.....

September is a long way away, Sheens said Cayles is at least a month away from peak fitness. Moors played well except from one dropped ball. I see both Fitzy and Flanagan as a bit of a waste on the bench and I would have Fulton as my backline insurance and have another two forwards on the bench

Galloway and Gibbs went forward well. Both were busy and made good meters. Manly played much better when those 2 went off and Kite and Rose came on. Their reserve props played bigger and stronger and they turned the match.

Cayless doesn't look at his best but will play better with more matches. Moors was solid and will also get better. He isn't a giant but looks a willing worker. Heighington seemed to run the ball most when the reserve props were on the field. He isn't as effective when playing 80 minutes but gives a good hand. Flanagan and Fitzhenry should not take 2 spots on the bench. Someone like Fifita or Schirnack would better suit the team. Or maybe even somone like Mataka or Akeipra when fit.

Its deffinately an issue though when teams play big like Manly did and Souths will. Payten won't make a big difference either.

We look big on paper only.

Our forwards look very small although that could be deceiving because we were dominated.

Our forwards arent going to dominate every game no matter how big they are (Look at Souths) and Manly have a big, international forward pack as well.

Size has nothing to do with it. The Manly back row is small compared to most others, but they play the game very physical. Gareth plays the game as physical as anyone so we have no problems with him and I thaught Liam had a job to do to try and keep Watmough as quiet as possible. Watmough still had a big impact, but nothing like he did against us late last year, Liam had a great game in my opinion. Heighington tried hard and i`m not going to bag him for giving away a few penalties as he was doing his best to slow the play the ball down, but we definately need some more firepower off the bench.

When Gibbs and Galloway came off it hurt us. I didn't like seeing them both jog off the field at the same time. What a relief it was when they came back on.

@MacDougall said:
Daine Laurie would be handy this season.

Though Andrew Fifita should be a straight swap for Daniel Fitzhenry next week imo.

Fifita is a few weeks away from getting a call up as long as his strong form for Wests continues.

@Geo. said:
@innsaneink said:
The bench use was woeful, and those that came off it added the impact of a snail.
We basically won with 14/15 men

Agreed…..

Gibbs and Galloway Hey.....

Galloway and Gibbs were solid, no doubting that. Unfortunately in the first half the Tigers disclipine went out the window when Cayless and Moors came on, plus both players looked a little slow out there which hurt the Tigers.

I thought the Tigers handled the Manly pack well apart from George Rose who I'm sure threatened to eat people each time he ran the ball. King, Perry and Kite were all average and Whatmough and Stewart were a handful at times, but never really broke the Tigers.

The use of the bench was very poor though. We would have benefitted from having Gower or Mataka out there for some extra size and mobility.

Cayless looks underdone. Got hammered every time he ran the ball. Hopefully Tupou or Fifita get a run soon.

Latest posts

Back