Gone forever?

crouching_tiger

Have we seen the last of Marshall's trademark sidestep?? I honestly can't even recall the last time he tried it!! I do recall when he was fading it out of his game a little as it was being overused way too often.
Brad Fittler always had one of the best left(?) foot steps i can remember, and he only used it sparingly and virtually had a 100% strike rate with it.
Will we ever see it again?? :pray:

I got shot down for suggesting it, but this is another example of why I believe Marshall is carrying too much weight

@crouching_tiger said:
Have we seen the last of Marshall's trademark sidestep?? I honestly can't even recall the last time he tried it!! I do recall when he was fading it out of his game a little as it was being overused way too often.
Brad Fittler always had one of the best left(?) foot steps i can remember, and he only used it sparingly and virtually had a 100% strike rate with it.

Who cares…as long as we keep winning!

I'd rather he bring back the sidestep and get rid of the stupid 'no-look' NBA pass. Has come off once in a million attempts. The fact that refs can't pick it either means they call most of them forward anyway

He did one just 2 weeks ago, and broke through the line. Think it was from a scrum play.

Definately using it a lot less but I'm sure he heas tried a couple this season. Used to a be a couple a game.

Marshall is crafty enough to not over use it. This is a big game play, as you mentioned with Brad Fittler.

Lets hope we see the magical side-step on the 3rd of October, with Benji scoring under the post!!!

Warriors game two weeks ago
12:27: Lui feeds the scrum, passes it to benji who puts on a small sidestep and runs 60m in the clear

@Kul said:
Warriors game two weeks ago
12:27: Lui feeds the scrum, passes it to benji who puts on a small sidestep and runs 60m in the clear

But that wasn't his "trademark" sidestep. I do recall the one you are talking about. That one was different.

@Balmain Bug said:
The Fonz wanted it greatly reduced and almost eliminated from Benji's game.

I believe Mr Sheens was referring to the flick pass not the sidestep….

Didn't stop him against the Warriors though 5m out from our line....

He has many variations on his trademark sidestep.

The biggest differences is that defenders were being able to wait and see alot more and read the step better.

Wait for a game where it really counts and it may just produce. Alot will have to do with Lui establishing a level of dominance in the halves to allow Benji to be more free flowing at his choosing

@crouching_tiger said:

did one in the Warriors game, broke through and got run down.

The one in the Warriors game was his trademark sidestep i remeber watchin n thinkin geez been a long time since ive seen Marshall pull out one of those… If you look back at the past few times hes used it they havent been successful the opposition can defend it better now as the game has changed massive since wen he was bringing it out twice a game back in 04 and 05

@smeghead said:
He has many variations on his trademark sidestep.

The biggest differences is that defenders were being able to wait and see alot more and read the step better.

Wait for a game where it really counts and it may just produce. Alot will have to do with Lui establishing a level of dominance in the halves to allow Benji to be more free flowing at his choosing

The last truly great footwork I can definitely recall Benji doing was in the blockbuster against the Eels late last year where he turned them inside out and then threw the no-look flick pass to put Ayshford in the corner.

You usually see it whenever Benji is at 2nd or 3rd receiver just outside the fringes of the Ruck. He'd usually pick out a Center or Backrower who isn't paying enough attention and look to step back on the inside. Of course the most famous one is the one he pulled off against Cronulla in late 2005\. My personal favorite was vs Canberra in 05 at Campbelltown. I got to see that one from front on.

You don't see it as much these days because he is playing halfback about 80% of the time. But every now and then he will drift out there and give it a lash.

There was another one against the sharks in a night game at Cambo, was a channel 9 game…about 20 out from the line, left some backrower forget who - clutching at air while he slid over to score

@innsaneink said:
There was another one against the sharks in a night game at Cambo, was a channel 9 game…about 20 out from the line, left some backrower forget who - clutching at air while he slid over to score

Was that the same game where I think Elford dribbled the ball about 15 meters like a soccer player and scored a try?

There was another one against the sharks in a night game at Cambo, was a channel 9 game…about 20 out from the line, left some backrower forget who - clutching at air while he slid over to score.

I am pretty sure the player left grasping for air was Sam Isemonger.

Didn't Benji use the step off the mark recently when pinned down on our line against the Warriors? He must be doing something right because I read somewhere that he has "freakish" tackle bust statistics (50+ i think)

Back