Has the Penny Finally Dropped

supercoach

I got the feeling today they went out their with a plan to grind out a win. Instead of trying to score off every play it was a case of keeping it simple,a good kick chase and some brutal defense. St George have used this tactic all year and Manly based last years campaign on the same tactics.

When you have the big game players or should I say the match winners you will come up with the money most weeks if you control the game and wait for your chances. Today the raiders were poor, but it was our defense that caused them to under perform and in the end it was a couple of big plays that put the icing on the cake. For most of the last four years we have backed our attack to make up for our defense. Easy said than done but today we did the opposite.

I still think 2009 is going to be a year of "if only" but their was plenty to like today about a pretty ugly win

Yes…the penny has dropped

The game was played in our end....the defence in the first half was outstanding at one point Canberra had 17 tackles inside our 20 we had 2...the score was 12 nil....The Raiders albeit their own worst enemy..still asked enough questions to test the defence....We still held an NRl side to Nil for 70 odd minutes...add to that a similar effort agaisnst the Cows last week and the defence has certainly improved throughout the year....

Those close losses mid seasons will probably cost us a finals birth....defence wasn't the issue and if we can control the football the attack and points should flow...

Sheens said we are a better side than at this point last year and I agree with him...

The acid test comes this week aganst the Manly scum,,,I think they are up to it.....

i reserve my judgment till after the Manly game. Form team, acid test, will tell us a lot. Don't necessarily think a win proves it or not, just the performance.

i agree ,,,but for me it has to be a win ….
in race horse terms we are sitting nice and are about to make a run down the outside ...we need to continue the momentum if we are a chance.....

Must beat Manly to keep momentum. Thats was this season is all about. Scoreboard is the only thing that matters though a good performance would be great.

@Tigerpete said:
i reserve my judgment till after the Manly game. Form team, acid test, will tell us a lot. Don't necessarily think a win proves it or not, just the performance.

Agree, if we win then great, we'll all be stoked and the Tigers will no doubt take plenty of confidence out of the match. If we lose, I hope it's a close one and we push the Eagles all the way, if that happens I still think the team will take plenty of confidence out of it as they can match it with the best sides in the comp IMO.

Back