Heath Mason

We need to start exploring options of spine players in centre/wing. It's where teddy started and it's where we struggle.

Not big enough. Could argue that Hodgo was only tiny but the game has changed so much since he was on the park.

Not big enough. Could argue that Hodgo was only tiny but the game has changed so much since he was on the park.
He’s short, but have you seen the physique on him ?
His arms are bigger than Hodgo’s legs.

He’s short, but have you seen the physique on him ?
His arms are bigger than Hodgo’s legs.
I’m sure he is strong and tough and I truely hope he is the next big thing but I won’t be putting my money on it happening.

I’m sure he is strong and tough and I truely hope he is the next big thing but I won’t be putting my money on it happening.
Fair enough, he’s the only 18 year old that I saw score an individual try throughout the trials and it wasn’t just his try, he always lays the game at high speed which is a rare trait.
Future NRL player for sure in my opinion.

Interesting to see if people commenting about Mason's size, of all critiques, would say the same thing about, say, a Papenhuyzen for example.

He's a smaller player, Heath, but there's plenty of similar stature playing, or have played, plenty of nrl.

I don't think his size will necessarily be the thing that holds him back if he does kick on and develop well.

Interesting to see if people commenting about Mason's size, of all critiques, would say the same thing about, say, a Papenhuyzen for example.

He's a smaller player, Heath, but there's plenty of similar stature playing, or have played, plenty of nrl.

I don't think his size will necessarily be the thing that holds him back if he does kick on and develop well.

Does Mason have the talent of Pap?

Jye Gray who is the next big thing at the Rabbitohs is about 10cm shorter and about 10kgs less weight wise.
Why do the Rabbitohs and many shrewd league experts rate him as the next big thing ? It’s because he’s lightning fast, plays the game with extremely high energy meaning he gets plenty of touches of the ball, is always heavily involved and is tough enough to handle the physicality.
That sounds very similar to Ryan Papenhuyzen and also very similar to how Heath Mason plays.

We already have Simpkin and TDS. No need to make things complicated for the sake of it.
Get rid of Simplekin asap, not complicated.
He got sacked on the line with the ball twice again yesterday, one time he did his little ballerina spin first and then……. sacked.
He must be one of the worst I’ve seen, I watched him yesterday looking at all the defenders, looked both sides of our attack, and still went the wrong way? Not to mention his ability to turn into a speed hump, only thing is they don’t seem to slow down ?

I'm thinking this guy is one of those footballers that will never truly make it but could be a huge asset if used correctly. I reckon we train this guy up at hooker. He then plays 14 covering every position in the backline, gives Api a rest when needed and also provides spark through the middle at lock for small periods.
I agree. The 14 IMHO should be able to slot in a few positions if required. Pretty much anywhere in the backline to cover for injury but also have a primary role as a backup dummy half. Mason seems very willing and adds spark.

I must admit that when Simpkin comes on we lose a bit of direction. (TDS is already better than him around the ruck)

I hope he does become the next RP. But even RP has struggled due to his size.

Mason not even remotely close to being ready. Might eventually find his feet, but he currently lacks the physicality or movement on field, looks hesitant and is easily managed by the defence.

Mason not even remotely close to being ready. Might eventually find his feet, but he currently lacks the physicality or movement on field, looks hesitant and is easily managed by the defence.
I agree he’s not yet ready for week ti week NRL, what 18/19 year old is ?
I can’t agree that he’s hesitant, he does everything with high intensity like only the good players do.

Same reason I reckon Feledy wont make NRL
Funny you mention that, I’ve read upteen posts here on how Staines is too small for NRL…
Saw a photo of Staines standing next to Feledy at the season launch… Staines dwarfed Feledy…

His defence right now is awful. Nowhere near NRL standard. As it stands his only prospect is at FB and even that’s a stretch. He’s got time but he really needs to work on that aspect of his game.
I agree that I’ve seen a few highlights that indicate he needs to work on his defence, but his high energy and ability in attack is well above average.
Let’s revisit this in 18 months time, I bet he’s played NRL and on his way to being a very good NRL player by that time.

Latest posts

Back