Home Turf Anger for Tigers

TigerOnFyah

A PLAN to dump Leichhardt Oval for NRL games has been rubb-ished by inner west rugby league supporters.

South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson called on Sydney clubs to give up their traditional suburban home grounds and play at either ANZ or Allianz stadiums.

He said it would be more financially viable for the clubs to play at the two larger grounds because crowds would be bigger.

It is a similar move to the one adopted by the AFL, where Melbourne clubs play at either the MCG or Etihad Stadium.

Wests Tigers play four games at Leichhardt Oval a season, along with four at Campbelltown Stadium and the rest at Allianz Stadium.

The Tigers attract large crowds for the Leichhardt Oval games, but the suburban ground can only hold 22,000 people.

Richardson’s proposal was not supported by inner west league fans.

“What a ridiculous idea. Rugby league is tribal. Saints at Kogarah, Tigers at Leichhardt and Newtown at Henson,” Mark Skelsey said.

Anne Lynton added, “The ‘spiritual’ homes of their own areas are called that for good reason.”

John Antonopoulos said there was no atmosphere at ANZ Stadium with a crowd of 20,000 when compared to a packed Leichhardt Oval.

Yeah they won't have the bigger crowds when they aren't winning with no home ground support and advantage. I am still dumbfounded that leichardt isn't used more given the boost it gives the boys and the advantage it gives us . Who In their right mind would think it would be good for the club in the long run
\
\
_Posted using RoarFEED 2012_

Old news, been discussed

http://www.weststigersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12285&time=1335573666

Put me down for one of those people Chris G….Leichhardt has great atmosphere and is a good ground to play on (in my experience), but it is a bit of a dump. Moving into the future - years down the track - I think the suburban grounds will have to make way for the stadiums....I would rather this than have to watch the Wests Tigers run around in the NSW cup.

@hellman said:
We should be moving to ANZ.

Yeah, because I'd much rather be part of a soulless ANZ crowd that are 50/50 supporters most of the time than be part of a sea of black, white and gold at Leichardt. *cough cough*

Surely they could do up the suburban grounds to hold more people or something like that?
\
\
_Posted using RoarFEED 2012_

Back