Insolvent Sharks may have to move

wtfl1981

It's feared the financially strapped Sharks may be forced to move from Cronulla if they're hit with similar penalties Essendon has copped in the AFL supplements scandal. The Bombers have been slugged a two million dollar fine among other penalties.

The Daily Telegraph's Paul Kent has told Triple M's Grill Team if the Sharks are fined it would give the NRL bargaining power to move them elsewhere, especially with nine clubs seen as too many in Sydney.

"I think we would be looking at the Perth Sharks or the Central Coast Sharks," he told Triple M's Grill Team. "We wouldn't be looking at the Cronulla Sharks any longer. "Even right now, as we speak, Cronulla are on the verge of insolvency.

The NRL do not want them to die for a variety of reasons. But there's also a growing belief in the NRL that nine teams in Sydney is too many. Given the Sharks' dependancy on funding from the NRL, a heavy fine would give the NRL a say on how the club is run.

"If they fine Cronulla two million dollars, essentially they're fining themselves because Cronulla's getting all their money from the NRL. But what [the NRL] would be able to say to Cronulla is, 'you now need this money to pay this fine… so we want a say in how the club is run'."

_Posted using RoarFEED 2013_

I'm not a fan of relocation. If I live in Central Queensland and follow the Tigers, why would I stop following them to start following the Sharks. One would think the people of Perth, Central Coast and Central Queensland would want their own team. However I do believe there are too many teams in Sydney and the competition as a whole.

@Fraze23 said:
I'm not a fan of relocation. If I live in Central Queensland and follow the Tigers, why would I stop following them to start following the Sharks. One would think the people of Perth, Central Coast and Central Queensland would want their own team. However I do believe there are too many teams in Sydney and the competition as a whole.

i agree. im in perth, and the only positive i can see with the sharks here is getting the tigers over here once a year.

not sure how they would take here. the force are very well supported, but not sure about a (relocated) league team.

@Fraze23 said:

I wouldn't change sides , but I would get to see NRL quality football every 2nd week

I suppose I look at it as a football fan first and 2ndly as a Tigers supporter

I don't think it would be a bad thing if a club folded. The gap between the top and bottom is huge. If you were to spread say Cronulla's roster amongst the bottom half of the competition IMO It would even up pretty quickly.

A club can't fold without affecting the TV deal we just signed.

To deal with the gap between first and last I think they should focus on juniors and reggies more.

Wow most there players live around the shire?.unfair on the fans IMO but that's where the sympathy would end.Maybe they should relocate them somewhere they can produce their own talent!

CQ has a feeder school which is arguably only behind Keebra Park as the No 1 side in Qld (St Brendans ,Yeppoon)

Look how long it took say a Cowboys side to even make the 8 (7 years) and that was from scratch

The other thing is fair few of the current roster at Cronulla will be retired or near retirement by 2015

Personally I think CQ will need a side brought in to be successful ,whereas Central Coast would be far better off starting from scratch

Just my view from a CQ standpoint

@Fraze23 said:

Its one of the problems WE face in Cambo

@Fraze23 said:

Sydney Swans and Brisbane Lions were originally Melbourne based AFL teams.

well they'll have a choice of folding, merging or moving, clearly moving is the better option if they want to keep some presence in the NRL

Who would want to adopt The Sharks as their new home club? Let's face it, they are currently the least liked NRL team, just ahead of Manly and Melbourne. If they were to move to a place such as Perth or Central Coast, it would only damage that area's development of League.

These are Paul Kent's thoughts hardly gospel. The problem with the media it appears, that if there is no story they make one up. I'd believe it when I see it.

The last few years Cronulla has overtaken St George and Manly as my most hated clubs. I couldn't care less if they moved.

Christ…a NSW Team called the Sharks being relocated to Central Qld,i hope they have good security for home games at Redneck Stadium..,Its laughable on face value but is probaly a kite flying exercise for some obscure reason.

There are too many teams in Sydney, and even without all the ASADA stuff Cronulla would be the most likely candidate to be moved. Least history, smallest talent pool and small fan base and reach.

The fact they're a joke off field just further cements it. They can keep Cronulla alive in the juniors.

Move to QLD before adding a new team in the Western states (which should be unaffiliated to previous NRL clubs). Or Sharks can merge with the Dragons. Dragons surround them to the north and south so geographically it makes total sense. But the fans would hate it.

@happy tiger said:
CQ has a feeder school which is arguably only behind Keebra Park as the No 1 side in Qld (St Brendans ,Yeppoon)

Look how long it took say a Cowboys side to even make the 8 (7 years) and that was from scratch

The other thing is fair few of the current roster at Cronulla will be retired or near retirement by 2015

Personally I think CQ will need a side brought in to be successful ,whereas Central Coast would be far better off starting from scratch

Happy, that's the only way CQ will get an NRL team, bring one in. Even then I wouldn't count on them being successful on or off the field - ever.

@cqtiger said:
@happy tiger said:

Happy, that's the only way CQ will get an NRL team, bring one in. Even then I wouldn't count on them being successful on or off the field - ever.

And that is my point ,CQ you know probably better than I do what Rocky people will and won't support as the main support for any CQ bid will come from Rockhampton directly and places like Gladstone ,Emerald etc secondly

The people I have spoken to have said they will enjoy being able to have to travel only 1.5 hours to watch an NRL game ,few have said they will support the CQ side though

Latest posts

Back