Isaiah Papali’i #265

My take on this is different because when I first heard this I thought, no he has got to honour his contract,” Anasta said.

“Then I had a think about it myself and I was in a very similar situation.

“It was the Tigers, but it could have been any club, where I signed at that club and Tim Sheens was the coach.

“He signed me for a specific reason. He wanted a certain something out of me in terms of leadership and direction with a few players there and he made the sell to me.

“He was the coach and the Australian coach and I wanted to play under Tim Sheens. That was the only reason I signed. The sole reason I signed.

“Then he got sacked a few weeks later. I honoured the contract, but now I look back at it and I think it was a poor decision from me.

“If I had my time over it would have been in the best interests of me and the club not to go there because it wasn’t the right fit.

“I was taking hit ups off taps, which is one thing, but what I’m trying to say is if he doesn’t want to go there and he only went there because a coach wanted him for a specific role to play his part in that team.

“Sometimes motivation is solely because of the coach

bwaiths take
Nice story Braith.Pretty sure Braith wasnt wanted by the Roosters and was at the backend of his career with limited options and that was the reason he signed with WTs. Papalii got offered significantly more money than his club was prepared to pay. Have now realised they screwed up and have made provisions to match it. Totally different

My take on this is different because when I first heard this I thought, no he has got to honour his contract,” Anasta said.

“It was the Tigers, but it could have been any club, where I signed at that club and Tim Sheens was the coach.

“He signed me for a specific reason. He wanted a certain something out of me in terms of leadership and direction with a few players there and he made the sell to me.

“He was the coach and the Australian coach and I wanted to play under Tim Sheens. That was the only reason I signed. The sole reason I signed.

“Then he got sacked a few weeks later. I honoured the contract, but now I look back at it and I think it was a poor decision from me.

“If I had my time over it would have been in the best interests of me and the club not to go there because it wasn’t the right fit.

“I was taking hit ups off taps, which is one thing, but what I’m trying to say is if he doesn’t want to go there and he only went there because a coach wanted him for a specific role to play his part in that team.

bwaiths take
No Bwaith - it was a poor decision by Sheens to even contact you in the first place.
Taking hit ups
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

bwaiths take

Bwaith no one care about your career in 2010

Braith was bog average for most of his career and voted most over rated player a few times by his peers, that’s when your rubbish.

Anyway typical of NRL 360, good cop bad cop approach to everything to create drama. Nobody would watch them if they actually told the truth

bwaiths take

Rubbish... If that was the sole reason for him or Papalii they could of easily add a Coach clause into the contract and they didn't...
If Papa starts playing the NZ card then I would say we want a quality player from them and you are not allowed to play for an NSW team again for 3 years.
IMO he and his Mgr are just trying to upset the apple cart and hope we give in as its not a good look. I still maintain the NRL should be stepping in and telling his Mgr that you signed a contract you deal with it. Tigers have made a lot of recruitment decisions around this and should not be penalised for doing the right thing.

A stand up guy?
What about this maybe..

“Yeah look im really committed to trying to win the comp this year. When my time here is over i look forward to joining the Tigers and having a big season”
After some more thought and considering how Api handled the situation I agree with you actually.

I still think he is trying to do the right thing by his current team and will end up with us but his reluctance to come out and completely hose down the story has in fact created the story.

Api was asked early on about honouring his contract and he jumped straight on the front foot saying he will, end of story and we haven’t heard anything about it since.

If papalies manager had half a brain he would have put the coach clause in his contract, it's the tigers here we are talking about, that sack there coaches before they ever see a contract out. This as I predicted has given the club a very bad name and is one of the biggest reasons why nobody wants to come here, players and coaches.

I'm going to resist my natural inclination to catastrophise, and assume he is coming. I feel the situations are different to Moses, Matterson and the Lawnmower man, in that we had already signed them and they had played for us. I felt it was weak of all of them to break their contracts but we have benefitted from this 'change of heart' situation too: most recently with Brent Naden.

But if IP is allowed to wriggle out of a contract before he has even played, then it would spell the end of any remaining scrap of the idea of the competition being fair. Lower teams will be used (like they already are but worse) to extract bigger salaries at bigger clubs who will magically find funds to grant this (thank you TPAs) and lower teams will be stuck at the bottom. It's already a very crooked system, with no appetite at all by private clubs to create anything resembling a fair competition.

Maybe I'm bitter. I just gave up my membership after 11 years, as the pockets of joy and community I feel with fans, are getting fewer and fewer, and there are other things to do with the time and money. Of course I don't want a player who is not happy to be here, but if he is allowed to go, then they should admit the NRL doesn't care about loads of teams and their fans. They proved it once before in 99. Now they are doing it by slow attrition.

Apologies for long rave.

Haven't got Kayo Demps. If you have time, would appreciate any key insights he gave.
Despite the nonsense posted,

Imo - AD speaks very highly of the Tigers.

He did allude to how he felt storm couldve been beneficial for him for the remainder of the year but the club didn't agree and he's comfortable with that.

You can really tell he loves the Tigers and he wants them / US as he calls it... to do well.

He did allude to how he felt storm couldve been beneficial for him for the remainder of the year but the club didn't agree and he's comfortable with that.

You can really tell he loves the Tigers and he wants them / US as he calls it... to do well.
Thanks. Good to hear

I loved the bit where he said he's not a real good defender....

I'm going to resist my natural inclination to catastrophise, and assume he is coming. I feel the situations are different to Moses, Matterson and the Lawnmower man, in that we had already signed them and they had played for us. I felt it was weak of all of them to break their contracts but we have benefitted from this 'change of heart' situation too: most recently with Brent Naden.

But if IP is allowed to wriggle out of a contract before he has even played, then it would spell the end of any remaining scrap of the idea of the competition being fair. Lower teams will be used (like they already are but worse) to extract bigger salaries at bigger clubs who will magically find funds to grant this (thank you TPAs) and lower teams will be stuck at the bottom. It's already a very crooked system, with no appetite at all by private clubs to create anything resembling a fair competition.

Maybe I'm bitter. I just gave up my membership after 11 years, as the pockets of joy and community I feel with fans, are getting fewer and fewer, and there are other things to do with the time and money. Of course I don't want a player who is not happy to be here, but if he is allowed to go, then they should admit the NRL doesn't care about loads of teams and their fans. They proved it once before in 99. Now they are doing it by slow attrition.

Apologies for long rave.
You are right. Tigers need to stand firm. If they do, IP will still come and before long he'll be playing his best.
This is coming from Parramatta finding extra cash and pressuring him to change his mind. Nothing to do with Madge being sacked or his girlfriend in New Zealand.
If we do fold , that will do me. But it wouldnt surprise me sadly. We are as weak as p..

The argument clubs sack coaches before contract is dumb.

If clubs are to just allow backflips does that set the precedent for clubs to back flip on player contracts too.

The goes both ways argument can be reversed

Back