Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to NSW Supreme Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Topine truly has a psychiatric injury and will never play football again , I feel for the guy and he deserves some damages money.

If however he’s bunging it on, that’s totally disrespectful to people with actual mental illnesses and he’s a bleeping fraud.

If Topine truly has a psychiatric injury and will never play football again , I feel for the guy and he deserves some damages money.

If however he’s bunging it on, that’s totally disrespectful to people with actual mental illnesses and he’s a bleeping fraud.
Really. I feel sorry for the court. Wearing a sheep's fur on your head is also a mental illness.

100%. We don’t know the whole story.

What we do know is that rugby league / elite team sport culture will never be acceptable by snowflake standards.
Who are the snowflakes that you are referring to 05?

Allegations will be tested in court - thankfully a civil Court and not the Coroner's Court this time...
???? I don’t think I’ve read something more hyperbolic , and intellectually dishonest ! Now I know you can’t possibly believe what you’re saying …. That’s sensationalist nonsense !
His life was at no point put in any danger .
Mis mental state and emotional well being ? Completely different answer . And the bulldogs have a lot to answer for as others have said for the way they handled that part of it .
But the stuff you’re going on about …. Is Fairy land stuff

Last edited:
There is a very big difference between punishment and humiliation. What the dogs did is very much in the latter.

It actually could have been a bonding opportunity if that douchebag trainer didn't tell the teammates to not rally around him after it.

I mean, why even do it? What outcome were they hoping for? Is this the best way to achieve it? NO! It's not only negligent, but it's a bloody dumb approach.

Our method was solid this year. Peroxide hair, probably coupled with extra training. Api still wears the reminder... and our 1 player who didn't meet the standards went through a smooth release.

Anasta is now going off about it being a can of worms. What happens if the kid kills himself? Same reply?
Agreed ! That’s the real issue , not the training , and the nonsense being hyperbolised by others on here . The real issue is the damage to his mental state .
I 💯 agree , that this could easily be interpreted as humiliation.

The main correlation is that in BOTH cases fellow players allegedly recognised the physical distress of their team-mate and raised it with the trainer who ignored their concerns and ordered then to continue...

The next time a player dies on a club's watch without heeding the findings and recommendations of the Coroner in this case will likely be referred to the DPP for charges in regards to providing a safe workplace!

This Inquest only concluded last month - so the Topine incident occurred before its findings - but after the Titmuss death...

Answers to your questions

1. Is OVER-TRAINING as corporal punishment conducive to elite athletic performance and development - NO!!! Any idiot can tell you that!

2. YES - he had been with the club and training at an elite level for years

The main correlation is that in BOTH cases fellow players allegedly recognised the physical distress of their team-mate and raised it with the trainer who ignored their concerns and ordered then to continue...

The next time a player dies on a club's watch without heeding the findings and recommendations of the Coroner in this case will likely be referred to the DPP for charges in regards to providing a safe workplace!

This Inquest only concluded last month - so the Topine incident occurred before its findings - but after the Titmuss death...

Answers to your questions

1. Is OVER-TRAINING as corporal punishment conducive to elite athletic performance and development - NO!!! Any idiot can tell you that!

2. YES - he had been with the club and training at an elite level for years

Your level of empathy for Topine and Titmus is really impressive Snidest 0 (y).

As a civil case the standard of proof required is lower - his team needs to prove that on the balance of probabilities his version of events and the resultant after effects he claims to have experienced is more likely true than not - not 'beyond reasonable doubt' as per a criminal hearing.

I'd be surprised if the club didn't settle.

I never asked that question . You’re making stories up to suit your narrative . I asked was the training methods provided by a 3 time premiership winning trainer and a 2 time premiership winning assistant coach , the correct training to win premierships . And that’s absolute horseshit that you would have any idea whether or not it is . Unless you have the data and have done the studies off private data provided by elite nrl programs .
Once again 1 situation is he was wrestled into a stand still . And to have trained yourself soo hard under extreme conditions that you can’t move … many of us have been there and done that .
And the other which has no relevance what so ever outside an absolute drawing of the longest bow by you , is a lack of hydration and fluids , and a complete lack of duty of care re. The players .
I normally agree with you on most things , but you’re clearly too emotionally attached to this to see the Forrest through the trees.
For me , if a 3 time premiership winning trainer wanted me to crawl through a river of shit , and he thought that was how you gain an advantage and what forged a winning team culture , that’s exactly how I’d train.
Once again I’ll say it cause you’re clearly not reading what I’m actually saying , the REAL issue isn’t the training IMO , but the mental and physical load putting the player under .
And for you to say “he’s an nrl player , he knows what the correct training is “ , we literally had a winger quit on us this year because of the intensity of training , and the expectations put around standards .
So not all teams are training to these levels . It’s such a horseshit argument to make yourself seem right .
If he wasn’t expecting those standards , then there is malpractice in regards to the passage of information. If he was and the rewards for not meeting standards re. Being late to training , we’re clearly defined , I mean IMHO , then there’s a question to be asked about whether this is the job for him .
If it later comes out that these types of “rewards” and training methods are barbaric , and antiquated , not industry standard , then I’ll happily recant on everything I’ve said … but I honestly don’t think they arnt . Which means you are projecting your own morality on something that just isn’t applicable .
As I said - at least this will be left to a Civil court to decide rather than the Coroner.

This is rightfully a legal minefield - and will set a precedent!

As a people manager in any industry - there are lines you don't cross and what has been alleged is beyond an acceptable line in this century.

NRL are working of implementing recommendations from the Titmuss inquest across all clubs - but that will mean better medical oversight of trainers will be mandatory and each club will need to adhere to the protocols.

Touma won three premierships as trainer - give me a break!

That was the stacked Roosters sides - and trainers never deliver Premierships!

As a civil case the standard of proof required is lower - his team needs to prove that on the balance of probabilities his version of events and the resultant after effects he claims to have experienced is more likely true than not - not 'beyond reasonable doubt' as per a criminal hearing.

I'd be surprised if the club didn't settle.
It is a civil case because it is not a criminal matter!

The burden of proof is just as rigorous - but Bulldogs won't want the publicity so will try to settle.

I don't think Topine or his family will settle though unless under court ordered mediation....

Reactions: BZN
???? I don’t think I’ve read something more hyperbolic , and intellectually dishonest ! Now I know you can’t possibly believe what you’re saying …. That’s sensationalist nonsense !
Mis mental state and emotional well being ? Completely different answer . And the bulldogs have a lot to answer for as others have said for the way they handled that part of it .
Believe he's referring to the Titmuss Coronial Inquest which is very recent, and also relates to an incident that occurred training with an NRL club.

No hyperbole required. Not sensationalist.

"His life was at no point put in any danger" - are you sure, were you there? One of his claims is that he needed assistance to stand after this incident. That's not a safe work environment nor something you'd expect a young, fit, professional athlete to have inflicted on them.

READ!!!!

1713967376827.png

4 million dollars,

Is he kidding!
I hope he gets every penny of the 4 million$$$ Spartan.
If his psyche has been damaged to such an extent that his footy career and something he loved doing, has been taken from him by some boof head, he's being compensated for the $$$ he would possibly have earned if he was able to continue playing.

What happened to MF Snidest?
You seriously don't know?

Suffered a serious injury in 2013... I think season ending.. Possible torn pec iirc.
Long story short he took his own life not being able to deal with his news.
Pressure on him to provide for family back home in Tonga was a factor apparently
Such a sad and terrible waste of a beautiful young life
RIP Mosese Fotuaika

You seriously don't know?

Suffered a serious injury in 2013... I think season ending.. Possible torn pec iirc.
Long story short he took his own life not being able to deal with his news.
Pressure on him to provide for family back home in Tonga was a factor apparently
Such a sad and terrible waste of a beautiful young life
RIP Mosese Fotuaika
Oh dear :( how sad, and yes, I had forgotten.
This is a perfect example of how much pressure talented sports people are under to be out there at every opportunity, stay injury free, and not have unnecessary pressure put on them by some numb nut trainer.
As you said and @Snidest 0 said originally, RIP MF 🙏.

Poor Mosese was only a kid and I doubt his family would've been one to pressure him... But the family unit among islanders is very strong and he would've felt obliged to help as much as he could, this would've been seen by him as a failure I presume.
Depression so much more prevalent these days and clubs have an obligation to look after these immature young fellas when things don't go to plan

I hope he gets every penny of the 4 million$$$ Spartan.
If his psyche has been damaged to such an extent that his footy career and something he loved doing, has been taken from him by some boof head, he's being compensated for the $$$ he would possibly have earned if he was able to continue playing.
Couldn't disagree more.

So many haven't got the aptitude or fortitude to.be professional anything

Some one else's fault.

doesn't deserve anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back