OFFICIAL Jake Averillo #?

Im not syaing you are wrong, but we don't actually know if they "have to". Latu is ready, that i have no doubt. Javon will be suspect defensively but so will Madden and AD. So really, it comes down to how Javon and Latu combine for me. All 3 options to partner Latu are suspect defensively and all 3 bring different attributes. Personally AD isnt an option to start there for me. I would be giving Latu,Madden and Javon a heap of reps in preseason with Latu locked in in the left and having a good look at how Javon goes moving over to the right. If he can transition to the right comfortably, im giving him first crack. The possible reward is worth the risk IMO. These kids could light it up playing freely off each other.
put Javon near KPP and he will be OK... certainly no worse then Madden, and even Romey who missed some simple tackles for tries with us this season.

Though I do think attack will be Javon left and Latu middle with both free to shift. as per the reserve grade games they played together where they nailed it.
 
Im not syaing you are wrong, but we don't actually know if they "have to". Latu is ready, that i have no doubt. Javon will be suspect defensively but so will Madden and AD. So really, it comes down to how Javon and Latu combine for me. All 3 options to partner Latu are suspect defensively and all 3 bring different attributes. Personally AD isnt an option to start there for me. I would be giving Latu,Madden and Javon a heap of reps in preseason with Latu locked in in the left and having a good look at how Javon goes moving over to the right. If he can transition to the right comfortably, im giving him first crack. The possible reward is worth the risk IMO. These kids could light it up playing freely off each other.

The six man bench opens up opportunities to test out different combinations too.

As per my bold section of your post, I could not agree more. He can bring a bit, but overall, he stifles others and particularly those on his edge more.
 
put Javon near KPP and he will be OK... certainly no worse then Madden, and even Romey who missed some simple tackles for tries with us this season.

Though I do think attack will be Javon left and Latu middle with both free to shift. as per the reserve grade games they played together where they nailed it.

I agree Latu will be mainly right and in the middle, it makes sense as he has looked good there previously. He just looks even better on the left and I'd like him to combine with Sam, thats why I would try Javon on the right. Hopefully we can find a style that allows both halves to play both sides freely and smoothly. I doubt we have the coaching ability to pull that off though
 
put Javon near KPP and he will be OK... certainly no worse then Madden, and even Romey who missed some simple tackles for tries with us this season.

Though I do think attack will be Javon left and Latu middle with both free to shift. as per the reserve grade games they played together where they nailed it.

Thats another reason why I want Javon on the right, he has to defend outside KPP for mine.
 
i see no harm giving Averillo open slather/game control , to do as he wants in the centers , 1st half he was out there on the left more than a few times with good results.
Keeps the opposition guessing and will be good for free flowing Benji Ball tactics
 
What is Benji Ball?

Throw it around with no idea, rhyme or reason...probaby what well see with the same attack coach...but its garbage

I have a little theory regarding why we are not changing our attack coach. Besides that fact Benji likes control of this, I also think that maybe the belief is our attack looked pretty good whenever we had genuine halves who play straight. So maybe they are thinking it isnt the structure that was the problem, it was the style of AD and Luai that didnt suit it. Its a very small example, but our attack looked good with 2 halves that play striaght in Madden and Latu.

I said all year the combo of AD and Luai. 2 guys who play sideways will destroy us.

Just a possible theory.
 
Averillo outstanding today, let’s hope he brings that spark to us next year.
Junior Phins showed the club has depth and along with first grade results augers well for their future.
 
If it's a choice between A.D. and Averillo at 6 you'd have to go with Jake based on his ball handling .
I don't know that we can waste him wider. He needs to be touching the ball.

He'd be a better 1 than the million dollar man, but that's never gonna happen
I don't think that's the choice though. Latu and Javon are battling for the 6 jersey
 
Lotta haters here reckon he can’t play …
I really didn’t know a lot about him but he looked ok to me. I saw a bit of Benji in his play which maybe why the coach was drawn to him.
He’s not a big guy so think he needs some bulking up a bit in the off season to handle the regular rigours of first grade.
 
I really didn’t know a lot about him but he looked ok to me. I saw a bit of Benji in his play which maybe why the coach was drawn to him.
He’s not a big guy so think he needs some bulking up a bit in the off season to handle the regular rigours of first grade.

He has played 135 NRL games already ..he isn’t really a fringe NRL player as some would suggest…

he will be good for us … I would start him out in the centres but I’m sure he will get some time at 6 as the season and injuries progress …
 
Back
Top