Jake Simpkin #242

@tony-soprano said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340611) said:
@tcl said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340460) said:
Played really well. Great debut, nice passing, running and good defence.

Can he kick?

He is young and will be sore tomorrow, his body shape is solid , let’s hope his body stands up to a season of 1st grade.

Very exciting. This season maybe a success in the long run. Blooding a few youngsters this year will do wonders for next.

Haven’t seen any kicks

Hopefully it’s a skill he possess. Makes a big difference if your 9 can kick.

@rustycage said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340589) said:
@tigerpower said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340586) said:
@jirskyr said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340559) said:
@851 said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340455) said:
@sabre said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340454) said:
@851 said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340422) said:
@glebe-tiger said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340399) said:
Better than Liddle. He's the future.

I have said that since the season started, we need to extend his contract before other clubs come knocking, and they will

The Roosters will be keeping an eye on him following Friend's retirement

I just mentioned this above

He's contracted until the end of 2022, Roosters, or anyone else, can't even speak to him until November 2021.

Which is literally around the corner. We need to get on him now.

I'm sure it's all under control

now the club has played him at least resigning is in the right direction, if he had stayed behind Liddle we would havexlostchim to broncos or Roosters or dogs
you can sit behind the like of cam Smith but not J Liddle

He was great.

I hope playing him the full match was a one off. We’ll cook him playing 80 mins every week as a 19 year old. At one point he looked a bit wobbly and I was surprised he didn’t go for HIA.

I’d have Liddle on the bench. Much more important than having a front rower there to play for 20 mins.

I have said that since the season started, we need to extend his contract before other clubs come knocking, and they will

He's contracted until the end of 2022, Roosters, or anyone else, can't even speak to him until November 2021.

That isn't far off. I reckon we need to give him priority over Liddle. I reckon Liddle is good but I think Simpkin looks better.

@earl said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340725) said:

That isn't far off. I reckon we need to give him priority over Liddle. I reckon Liddle is good but I think Simpkin looks better.

I still think there is room for Liddle in this team and the future. Simpkin is our 9, but Liddle has the pace and ball skills to either fill in for simpkin when needs 15 minutes or be a rover in the middle of the ruck.

As frustrating as last night, it was tremendous seeing Jake performing a top 4 team. Hopefully we can hold onto long term.

@tigerpower said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340747) said:

I still think there is room for Liddle in this team and the future. Simpkin is our 9, but Liddle has the pace and ball skills to either fill in for simpkin when needs 15 minutes or be a rover in the middle of the ruck.

Depends I’d they deem Simpkin a 80 hooker

@tony-soprano said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340754) said:

Your probably right. But we need a back up , he is young and we need a number 2.

@tigerpower said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340758) said:
@tony-soprano said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340754) said:

Your probably right. But we need a back up , he is young and we need a number 2.
Yeah plus Jake can go to 13 better then mbye IMO

Very impressive, but still a long way to go.

I would still have Liddle on the bench IMO. Sorry to put it on the kid but Joe O and him were the culprits for T Burgess' try. Obviously expected due to playing 85 minutes in the middle in his first NRL game.

Excited to see him develop, but with our track record, I wouldn't discount Liddle and put all our eggs in Simpkin's basket.

I am content with a long term spine of:
9 - Simpkin (19 yrs old)
7 - TBA (don’t rush out and panic buy)
6 - Douehi (22)
1 - Laurie (21)
All young and all very talented. Whilst the model of recruiting other clubs rejects has burnt us in the past perhaps an Adam Reynolds could mentor these guys into super stardom and set us up for long term success. All are we better to go all in on youth and aim for a young up and comer?

@jc99 said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340441) said:

Good hookers are at a premium. Either liddle or Jake will get snatched up and we need to keep Simpkin or best case scenario both

I hope it doesn't end up like a repeat of Tedesco and Paps
We need to sign Simpkin up again now
If liddle signs elsewhere now then Simpkin will hold all the cards
Let's not loose both this time

@cairnstigers said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340856) said:
@jc99 said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340441) said:

Good hookers are at a premium. Either liddle or Jake will get snatched up and we need to keep Simpkin or best case scenario both

I hope it doesn't end up like a repeat of Tedesco and Paps
We need to sign Simpkin up again now
If liddle signs elsewhere now then Simpkin will hold all the cards
Let's not loose both this time

Agree and the longer you leave this the more exposure he gets the price and interest go through the roof.. Need to have this done ASAP

@tigerpower said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340586) said:

Which is literally around the corner. We need to get on him now.

Sign him up now with the Promise of a top 17 spot in all games this year as long as his body can handle it
This would help him further develop his game
Add to that a starting 13 spot if he can consistently perform like he just did against souths
55 tackle against souths
25 more then any other tiger
65 meters
What a great debut for a young hooker
I hope we are negotiating an extended contract now
I am tired of loosing star players
The Tigers know what they need to do
Now do it

@tt-01 said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340845) said:
9 - Simpkin (19 yrs old)
6 - Douehi (22)
1 - Laurie (21)
All young and all very talented. Whilst the model of recruiting other clubs rejects has burnt us in the past perhaps an Adam Reynolds could mentor these guys into super stardom and set us up for long term success. All are we better to go all in on youth and aim for a young up and comer?

We should keep Brooks and Madden but look at juniors coming through as well. No need to go out and get someone like Reynolds unless you could get him relatively cheaply.

We also need outside backs.

@willow said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340413) said:
He went really well overall. I was at the game tonight, ended up with box seats on the halfway and got a good view of things. I don't like to bag the refs, but Souths clearly got away with more leeway in the ruck than the WT - and he kept a slightly thinner 10 metres for them - our boys got pinned multiple times for showing good linespeed for a change - thought we got judged harshly in this respect.

Forwards all had a dig but because Souths had a thinner 10 metres, we just couldn't dent their line as much as we should have. Not sure Stefano is ready to be starting just yet - I think I'd keep Musgrove starting as he does do a lot of dirty hitups early.

Biggesst criticism regarding our attack is that we play far too flat. I don't think it suits Brooks and we don't have enough bodies in motion during set pieces - it used to be one of our strengths, now it's one of our biggest weaknesses. We had chances on our left edge tonight but lacked the depth in attack to capitalise.

Kicking game was better but Brooks is still the weak link - Doueihi's kicking game was very good, 3 line drop outs forced, general kicks well positioned. Brooks doesn't get enough height on his crossfield kicks and doesn't give time for anyone to chase properly.

I think if we start to play with a bit more depth in attack, we will be much better served. Defensively Tamou set the linespeed well tonight and was backed up strongly by Joe O who I thought was our best forward.

As for young Jake - he took the right option aside from one forward pass and stood up well against one of the heavyweights. Make no mistake - Souths did not play poorly tonight - they left the field exhausted and had multiple players down with niggles and cramp.

Tonight we set a standard which we need to achieve every week.

Thanks Willow, I was wondering how things looked at the ground.
IMO Tamou has set a decent line speed at the start of most games, which has been dropping off immediately he is substituted or even non-existent on the other side of the ruck to him. This has been his upside IMO, the arm grabs and lazy defence however have been valid criticism.

Back to Simpkin, I only got to see that last 15mins (had to listen to radio for the rest) so I can't comment on his overall game. But he was at marker when Burgess ran through for the match winner, and Burgess was the responsibility of the markers... or at least one of them.

@barra said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340940) said:
@willow said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340413) said:
He went really well overall. I was at the game tonight, ended up with box seats on the halfway and got a good view of things. I don't like to bag the refs, but Souths clearly got away with more leeway in the ruck than the WT - and he kept a slightly thinner 10 metres for them - our boys got pinned multiple times for showing good linespeed for a change - thought we got judged harshly in this respect.

Forwards all had a dig but because Souths had a thinner 10 metres, we just couldn't dent their line as much as we should have. Not sure Stefano is ready to be starting just yet - I think I'd keep Musgrove starting as he does do a lot of dirty hitups early.

Biggesst criticism regarding our attack is that we play far too flat. I don't think it suits Brooks and we don't have enough bodies in motion during set pieces - it used to be one of our strengths, now it's one of our biggest weaknesses. We had chances on our left edge tonight but lacked the depth in attack to capitalise.

Kicking game was better but Brooks is still the weak link - Doueihi's kicking game was very good, 3 line drop outs forced, general kicks well positioned. Brooks doesn't get enough height on his crossfield kicks and doesn't give time for anyone to chase properly.

I think if we start to play with a bit more depth in attack, we will be much better served. Defensively Tamou set the linespeed well tonight and was backed up strongly by Joe O who I thought was our best forward.

As for young Jake - he took the right option aside from one forward pass and stood up well against one of the heavyweights. Make no mistake - Souths did not play poorly tonight - they left the field exhausted and had multiple players down with niggles and cramp.

Tonight we set a standard which we need to achieve every week.

Thanks Willow, I was wondering how things looked at the ground.
IMO Tamou has set a decent line speed at the start of most games, which has been dropping off immediately he is substituted or even non-existent on the other side of the ruck to him. This has been his upside IMO, the arm grabs and lazy defence however have been valid criticism.

Back to Simpkin, I only got to see that last 15mins (had to listen to radio for the rest) so I can't comment on his overall game. But he was at marker when Burgess ran through for the match winner, and Burgess was the responsibility of the markers... or at least one of them.

Yeah, Simpkin and Joe O got caught flat as Burgess hit the ball at speed. Disappointing for a front rower to score that far out.

I'm sure Madge and hartigan will be smart. They went up to Brisbane to steal him off broncos they won't lose him now surely.

@earl said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340917) said:
@tt-01 said in [Jake Simpkin](/post/1340845) said:
9 - Simpkin (19 yrs old)
6 - Douehi (22)
1 - Laurie (21)

We should keep Brooks and Madden but look at juniors coming through as well. No need to go out and get someone like Reynolds unless you could get him relatively cheaply.

We also need outside backs.

Yeah good point. With that spine we could get an up and coming game manager from junior ranks. I’d love it if we could land Katoni Staggs

Latest posts

Members online

Back