Jarome Luai - Official

Spartan117

Staff member
Forum Leader

Wests Tigers land Luai on five-year deal

Author Wests Tigers
TimestampWed 3 Jan 2024, 12:03 PM

Wests Tigers is delighted to announce the signing of star five-eighth Jarome Luai on a five-year deal.

wt2024_signed_jarome-luai_web.jpg

The three-time premiership-winning playmaker will join the club at the end of next season.

Luai has played 107 games for the Panthers over six seasons, making his NRL debut in 2018.

The 26-year-old has helped Penrith to three consecutive grand final triumphs over the past three years, during which time he made seven State of Origin appearances for New South Wales.

Wests Tigers head coach Benji Marshall believes the addition of Luai will be great for the club.

“We are super excited to announce the signing of Jarome for the 2025 season on a five-year deal,” said Marshall.

“His experience as a genuine premiership-winning playmaker will be great for us and the future of our club.

“We love the way Jarome plays his footy and even better, he is a great person.

“We very much look forward to welcoming Jarome and his family to our club in 2025, but right now, season 2024 is our focus.”

Luai is excited about joining Wests Tigers but wants to focus on his final season at the Panthers.

Luai will make the move to Wests Tigers at the end of next season and reunite with a few of his former Panthers’ teammates Api Koroisau, Brent Naden, and Charlie Staines.

All jokes and negativity aside, it did take some balls to have a press conference to announce he’s leaving the best team in maybe 30 years to join the back to back wooden spooners. He’s setting himself up to be a walking meme.

BREAKING: Luai makes Tigers switch official as Panthers star to join in 2025

Fox League from Fox Sports
January 3rd, 2024 12:15 pm

Jarome Luai has confirmed he will move to the Wests Tigers on a five-year deal, putting an end to months of speculaton surrounding his future.

The Penrith star revealed the news in a press conference in Darling Harbour after the Panthers reportedly waived the 10-day cooling off period.

Luai described the call to leave the Panthers as “probably the toughest decision of my career and probably life so far.”

“Definitely gotten a lot more attention than what we would have liked these past few months,” he added.

“The purpose of this was to clear everything up and get everything out of the way out of respect and curtesy for the year ahead for my team and my teammates in 2024...

“So without further ado, for 2025 I’ll be heading to the Wests Tigers to continue my career.

“The obvious reason was it was a great opportunity for me to provide and create for my family, and also to create for myself.

“I’ve had a great connection with Benji (Mashall), we’ve spoken about the future and what he sees in me and moving forward. I’m really excited about it.”

Although not confirmed by the player or club themselves, Luai’s five-year deal with the Tigers is estimated to be worth a staggering $6 million.

Jarome Luai is expected to confirm his switch to the Wests Tigers.
Jarome Luai is expected to confirm his switch to the Wests Tigers. Source: The Daily Telegraph

The deal represents a major coup for Wests Tigers head coach Benji Marshall ahead of his rookie season as an NRL boss.

And Marshall cannot wait to get to work with his prized recruit, even if he has to wait one year.

“His experience as a genuine premiership-winning playmaker will be great for us and the future of our club,” Marshall said in a statement.

“We love the way Jarome plays his footy and even better, he is a great person.

“We very much look forward to welcoming Jarome and his family to our club in 2025, but right now, season 2024 is our focus.”

The Panthers’ decision to waive the 10-day cooling off period proved to be crucial in hurrying along Luai’s official decison.

Under the new contracting rules in the CBA, there is a 10-day cooling off period after a player receives an offer they’d be willing to accept from another club.

That gives the player’s former club the chance to negotiate and potentially up their offer if they would like. Those 10 days also gives the player the option to change his mind if he wants to.

That period, which began on December 16, came and went without any confirmation of a move from Luai.

On Tuesday, however, the Sydney Morning Herald reported that the Panthers, who tabled a three-year deal worth $2.5 million, waived their right to the cooling off period.

Overall pleased with the signing but at the rumoured price I can't be as enthusiastic about it as everyone else.

Overall pleased with the signing but at the rumoured price I can't be as enthusiastic about it as everyone else.
Depends how much is on the cap. Not the overall price. There were mentions here before that it's as low as $850k. Which, if true, is a great deal.

GREAT DAY!! Turning the corner.

Out halves depth in 2025 would have to be the best in the league.

All jokes and negativity aside, it did take some balls to have a press conference to announce he’s leaving the best team in maybe 30 years to join the back to back wooden spooners. He’s setting himself up to be a walking meme.
Agree. I hope he proves the doubters wrong and this isn’t just another gravy train signing.

It feels good to get a big scalp that we were publicly chasing as opposed to getting pipped at the post like many times prior.

And finally, it’s nice for GNR to be proven right and I’m delighted to say he was right.

Now can you just channel that same positivity toward a gun centre and make that happen now GNR?

Back