Jayden "Bud" Sullivan #278

I agree 100% Bud is a 6 like Brooks was always a running 6, as much as it pains me to say Brooks is a better running 6. Bud himself declared he was a 7, wanted the 7 wanted the keys. We've been here before it doesnt end well for us or him.
In saying all that Bud would probably be best served for us as a bench option or a back up 6, 7 in a pinch but similar to Brooks his price tag means we will probably try and shoe horn him into something he's not.
Benji's selection of Bud at 7 with a guy on debut at 6 probably means we haven't learnt our lesson as a club in this regard. To me with the team selection as it was on the weekend we were always on the back foot before the game even began on the weekend, Sezer had to start at 7 and Benji had to choose between Bud and Galvin he couldn't.
Whether you are a 6 or a 7, an organizer or a runner, the other 50% of the game (more for Wests Tigers based on possession) is defence, and that short side try off the tap was just diabolical. It's just basic attention to detail that a first grader should have. It's one thing to get run over or come in when you should of stayed out, it's another to watch a guy run down a 10 meter open shortside with not a soul in front of him from a set restart.

Whether you are a 6 or a 7, an organizer or a runner, the other 50% of the game (more for Wests Tigers based on possession) is defence, and that short side try off the tap was just diabolical. It's just basic attention to detail that a first grader should have. It's one thing to get run over or come in when you should of stayed out, it's another to watch a guy run down a 10 meter open shortside with not a soul in front of him from a set restart.
The first Raiders try was even worse as he made absolutely no attempt to get across in cover.
He looked like he was trying to avoid contact at all costs, not a great attitude so far.

The first Raiders try was even worse as he made absolutely no attempt to get across in cover.
He looked like he was trying to avoid contact at all costs, not a great attitude so far.
Sezer and Galvin in the halves. Bud might be an option as a 14, but not starting as 6 unless Galvin needs a spell for a few weeks. I would rather carry TDS on the bench though to be honest.

Benji must stick with Sullivan now. Any change in plans will weaken the player’s view of his leadership. He needs to give Sullivan an opportunity to respond or risk spreading egg shells.
I tend to agree with this depending on what he has been saying to the team before the weekend. If it was Bud has won the spot and I have faith in him to deliver x,y,z then he needs to be retained. If it was this 17 has the first shot to earn their spot and will be retained if they show they want it then he should be dropped.

As poor as Sullivan was no halfback would have looked at all good playing in a team that was so badly beaten. Criticism of him not running enough, kicking well enough or looking like a 6 in my opinion is foolish given how the game played out. Criticism of his role in the sides terrible defence is fair enough but he was hardly alone.

Benji must stick with Sullivan now. Any change in plans will weaken the player’s view of his leadership. He needs to give Sullivan an opportunity to respond or risk spreading egg shells.
Absolute BS!!

Sullivan was there because Sezer had not trained with the team for a fortnight - and Sezer was still retained on the bench despite the lack of training.

Bennett picked O'Sullivan at 7 in Rd.1 - only to change his mind for Rd.2 after a poor loss!

Benji may be a rookie - but he is the head coach and has the entitlement to make changes on a weekly basis if necessary when players do not meet expectations!

Absolute BS!!

Sullivan was there because Sezer had not trained with the team for a fortnight - and Sezer was still retained on the bench despite the lack of training.

Bennett picked O'Sullivan at 7 in Rd.1 - only to change his mind for Rd.2 after a poor loss!

Benji may be a rookie - but he is the head coach and has the entitlement to make changes on a weekly basis if necessary when players do not meet expectations!
Exactly. Probably only Bula and Api have earned the right to expect their name to be called each weekend.

I tend to agree with this depending on what he has been saying to the team before the weekend. If it was Bud has won the spot and I have faith in him to deliver x,y,z then he needs to be retained. If it was this 17 has the first shot to earn their spot and will be retained if they show they want it then he should be dropped.

As poor as Sullivan was no halfback would have looked at all good playing in a team that was so badly beaten. Criticism of him not running enough, kicking well enough or looking like a 6 in my opinion is foolish given how the game played out. Criticism of his role in the sides terrible defence is fair enough but he was hardly alone.
No coach justifies individual selections to the team...

It is NOT a fricking committee meeting!

It is what was said to Sullivan that counts - and the consistent message is selections will be based on performamce!

Sezer was on the bench - so surely the message was clear enough that there was very little between the two to start despite Sezer's lack of training with the team!

No coach justifies individual selections to the team...

It is NOT a fricking committee meeting!

It is what was said to Sullivan that counts - and the consistent message is selections will be based on performamce!

Sezer was on the bench - so surely the message was clear enough that there was very little between the two to start despite Sezer's lack of training with the team!
In my experience coaches almost always explain why they go a certain way in player selections to the team (though not always directly). Typically it is discussed as part of the video sessions and game planning, particularly when it is a key position player.

Back