Joe Ofahengaue #240

Apparently we've been shopping him around. You don't have much leverage to get swaps etc if you are trying to move the guy on
I was mainly talking about what has happened in the past with Parramatta, but generally we seem to be pretty poor at doing favourable deals.

We are probably paying some freight as well.

Needing and wanting "great" footballers is a pipe dream not a reality. The bloke was the Kelly Barnes winner last year and earned an extension on the back of that and then less than twelve months later we cut him because he is costing too much. If that is not a poor reflection on the way the club is run I don't know what it is. Joe O was never going to make or break us but every club needs players like him and the very reason Parramatta was happy to take him off our hands.

“This contract extension is a reward for his professionalism, attitude, and commitment since joining us last season"

Justin Pascoe - September 22
Agree he was one of our best last season, but last season there were very few players in our squad who were deserving of any accolades at all!
Don’t get me wrong, as i said, i really like him, BUT my point was that if we are at all fair dinkum about competing with the best across every position on the park and winning a premiership in the coming years, maybe Joe is a player that needs upgrading when the opportunity arises - particularly with the juniors we have waiting to be blooded.
Regarding your quote from Pascoe however, I have to agree with you, his rhetoric seems a complete about face. Makes you wonder if there is more to the release.

But is saying that

Ricky Stuart Ruben Wiki Laurie Daley Brad Clyde Brett Mullins Johnny Lomax Jason Croker Ken Nagas Noa Nadruku Scott Prince Benji Marshall James Tedesco Robbie Farrah Pat Richard's Mitchell Moses Brett Hodgson

The list goes on and on and on for the positive
Sheens picked a bumper team in Canberra.
Half those tigers names though were released under Sheens. Brett Hodgson played in england for 7 more years and IMHO our team dipped without him. Likewise Pat Richards came back here and set the world on fire still.

Sheens can identify them. Tedesco, etc. Yet clearly he has made some mistakes (letting Andrew Fifita go, etc).

Sheens picked a bumper team in Canberra.
Half those tigers names though were released under Sheens. Brett Hodgson played in england for 7 more years and IMHO our team dipped without him. Likewise Pat Richards came back here and set the world on fire still.

Sheens can identify them. Tedesco, etc. Yet clearly he has made some mistakes (letting Andrew Fifita go, etc).
Yes but with Fifita he had alot going on outside of football and Hodgson was bake in his last 18 months I understand why he was let go then a new lease of life in England the softer competition helped his body hold up

I read somewhere but could be wrong that Gibbs knees were busted and we were desperate to offload his contract. Threw in Fafita so sharks world take him.
"Club officials assured Sheens the money spent on Blair would not affect the retention of other key squad members.

They were wrong. Bryce Gibbs, Andrew Fifita, Beau Ryan and Chris Heighington would soon be out the door, quickly followed by Mitch Brown, who left for the Bulldogs after the NRL told the Tigers that they were over the salary cap and could not register their new recruit’s contract until they made room.

Sheens felt he had been let down by club powerbrokers, but did not tell the players of his frustrations with the bosses. Consequently, he wore the blame for the break-up of the close-knit team. It cost him the trust of his players and, ultimately, his job at the end of the 2012 season....

"Club officials assured Sheens the money spent on Blair would not affect the retention of other key squad members.

They were wrong. Bryce Gibbs, Andrew Fifita, Beau Ryan and Chris Heighington would soon be out the door, quickly followed by Mitch Brown, who left for the Bulldogs after the NRL told the Tigers that they were over the salary cap and could not register their new recruit’s contract until they made room.

Sheens felt he had been let down by club powerbrokers, but did not tell the players of his frustrations with the bosses. Consequently, he wore the blame for the break-up of the close-knit team. It cost him the trust of his players and, ultimately, his job at the end of the 2012 season....
Cheers. Where was this from? I feel it was more complicated than just over spending on one player. To lose 5 over one signing?

Cheers. Where was this from? I feel it was more complicated than just over spending on one player. To lose 5 over one signing?

From a 2 part editorial on WT from 2021. (SMH).

It was definitely more complicated than that. It had to have been. But I guess there are sources that have gone on the record to say that letting go of ALL of those players to sign Blair was not part of the plan.

Don't forget that in 2012, (where at one stage we won 7 or 8 on the bounce and were up at 4th before imploding) It was at the end of the season when Beau and Heino went to the Sharks that things REALLY blew up between Coach and players.
Still hurts :(

From a 2 part editorial on WT from 2021. (SMH).

It was definitely more complicated than that. It had to have been. But I guess there are sources that have gone on the record to say that letting go of ALL of those players to sign Blair was not part of the plan.

Don't forget that in 2012, (where at one stage we won 7 or 8 on the bounce and were up at 4th before imploding) It was at the end of the season when Beau and Heino went to the Sharks that things REALLY blew up between Coach and players.
Still hurts :(
Sure does. We haven’t recovered since. Thinking about the bigger picture, perhaps tigers and sheens teaming up again (which I was staunchly against) can finally heal those wounds.

The NRL website didnt have a photo for Joffa for this weekend, just a blank space. So for one last time ive dropped him back in a tigers jersey :D His face says it all but Good luck Joe!
1684930770767.png

But is saying that

Ricky Stuart Ruben Wiki Laurie Daley Brad Clyde Brett Mullins Johnny Lomax Jason Croker Ken Nagas Noa Nadruku Scott Prince Benji Marshall James Tedesco Robbie Farrah Pat Richard's Mitchell Moses Brett Hodgson

The list goes on and on and on for the positive

Spoke grammatically correct sentences.
They were the type I was talking about. No-one could have predicted how the Blair signing would turn into arguably the worst signing of all time. At the time everyone wanted him, from memory Sheens didn't know of the signing and the club had enough to keep everyone and put preference on the 2 upcoming props n 1 was Sharron. Then Fifita and Gibbs chose to go to Sharks, a couple of injuries Ellis went home a few others then chose to leave. I get we had some big mistakes but I like to think we've finally learnt and this season is gradually showing what this team can do .

They were the type I was talking about. No-one could have predicted how the Blair signing would turn into arguably the worst signing of all time. At the time everyone wanted him, from memory Sheens didn't know of the signing and the club had enough to keep everyone and put preference on the 2 upcoming props n 1 was Sharron. Then Fifita and Gibbs chose to go to Sharks, a couple of injuries Ellis went home a few others then chose to leave. I get we had some big mistakes but I like to think we've finally learnt and this season is gradually showing what this team can do .
Sheen's has an amazing eye for talent and he built that 2005 with no money and did alot with left overs at the Tiger's

I read somewhere but could be wrong that Gibbs knees were busted and we were desperate to offload his contract. Threw in Fafita so sharks world take him.
Yea, ah.
But that's not the whole truth.

Gibbs was causing way too many errors at key moments. I saw those last games and they were horrible. Just Horrible. I wanted to rip Gibbs up.

Sheens misjudged Fifita horribly. Yes the Sharks came knocking, Fifita was making errors but was making impact. Had we kept him he would have been immense.

Also we traded Fifita and Gibbs to keep Woodsy and Groat. Chris H and Beau R were traded to get Useless Blair.

So everyone seems to be saying were linked to Josh Shulster...

Trading Joe O -> Josh S... While Josh has faults, he clearly is an A game player and has something dynamic to offer.
However look at this leadership wise. HORRIBLE DECISION. Josh S clearly has a huge attitude problem. Joe O has been solid in character and seemed like the kind of person with the right attitude to foster in our team. I mean Performance, Joe O is an average first grader.

Yet, damn it Joe O seems to have exactly what we want in the tigers. strong work ethic and performance. Flip it, Joe O has very little to show for that performance, including 1 wooden spoon and zero finals appearances. ... I mean great guy, but we aren't winning with him.

I just feel a bit lost with this one. When the Sharks who had Gallen, Lewis and a bunch of strong older forwards, recruit Dale Finucane based off Leadership... We see how some teams really value what leadership brings. If Joe O is being punted for Josh S, then I have to wonder how much we value leadership. ////

So everyone seems to be saying were linked to Josh Shulster...

Trading Joe O -> Josh S... While Josh has faults, he clearly is an A game player and has something dynamic to offer.
However look at this leadership wise. HORRIBLE DECISION. Josh S clearly has a huge attitude problem. Joe O has been solid in character and seemed like the kind of person with the right attitude to foster in our team. I mean Performance, Joe O is an average first grader.

Yet, damn it Joe O seems to have exactly what we want in the tigers. strong work ethic and performance. Flip it, Joe O has very little to show for that performance, including 1 wooden spoon and zero finals appearances. ... I mean great guy, but we aren't winning with him.

I just feel a bit lost with this one. When the Sharks who had Gallen, Lewis and a bunch of strong older forwards, recruit Dale Finucane based off Leadership... We see how some teams really value what leadership brings. If Joe O is being punted for Josh S, then I have to wonder how much we value leadership. ////
DW, Schuster wont be coming here...He has 100% pledged his commitment to Manly...and of course so the WT club doesn't look like they have missed out once again have come out and said they are "not interested" in Schuster as they don't think he is a "good fit"...bet your bottom dollar if Schuster was interested in the WT they would change their tune...

Yea, ah.
But that's not the whole truth.

Gibbs was causing way too many errors at key moments. I saw those last games and they were horrible. Just Horrible. I wanted to rip Gibbs up.

Sheens misjudged Fifita horribly. Yes the Sharks came knocking, Fifita was making errors but was making impact. Had we kept him he would have been immense.

Also we traded Fifita and Gibbs to keep Woodsy and Groat. Chris H and Beau R were traded to get Useless Blair.
Thanks for jogging those memories. Was in a time I wasn’t paying as much attention to the tigers but I remember Fafita s aggression.

Joffa playing cowboys back to back.

Wonder how many times in the NRL a player has played a team twice back to back?

Back