Joey not a happy chappy.....

@Geo said in [Joey not a happy chappy\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1132079) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Joey not a happy chappy\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1132076) said:
@JoshColeman99 said in [Joey not a happy chappy\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1132073) said:
I can see where he’s coming from. His entire life is footy and the NRL have literally no money stashed away for an emergency, pretty ridiculous. The NRL should have money put away for a crisis.

Shouldn't the players at BJ's level have some money stashed away for a rainy day (or a biblical flood in this case )

I'm guessing they will get backpaid if anything was to happen

Talking of this at least when they spoke of clubs going under financially we didn't get a mention in the Bottom 3 clubs (Manly definitely ,Sharks and Warriors )

Wests Tigers have fought their way to be self-sustainable ...that doesn't even take what Wests Ashfield are able to tip in if necessary..

The concern is the amount of Corporate dollars currently provided starts to dry up..if there is no footy or the CV crisis starts to hit them...

We are in a better position than a lot of Clubs..

As for the players just concentrate on playing..

Self susttainable? Didn't those graphs put out by the club show us making a loss last year?

@gallagher said in [Joey not a happy chappy\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1132217) said:
I can see where he’s coming from. His entire life is footy and the NRL have literally no money stashed away for an emergency, pretty ridiculous. The NRL should have money put away for a crisis.

Shouldn't the players at BJ's level have some money stashed away for a rainy day (or a biblical flood in this case )

Talking of this at least when they spoke of clubs going under financially we didn't get a mention in the Bottom 3 clubs (Manly definitely ,Sharks and Warriors )

Wests Tigers have fought their way to be self-sustainable ...that doesn't even take what Wests Ashfield are able to tip in if necessary..

The concern is the amount of Corporate dollars currently provided starts to dry up..if there is no footy or the CV crisis starts to hit them...

Self susttainable? Didn't those graphs put out by the club show us making a loss last year?

I should have added almost...increased spending on the football dept last year from the previous years led to that loss..

Doesn't change the point the Wests Tigers are in a better position than other Clubs to deal with what comes..

@Geo said in [Joey not a happy chappy\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1132219) said:
@gallagher said in [Joey not a happy chappy\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1132217) said:

I should have added almost...increased spending on the football dept last year from the previous years led to that loss..

Doesn't change the point the Wests Tigers are in a better position than other Clubs to deal with what comes..

No doubt about that but due to the league's club backing.

@happy_tiger said in [Joey not a happy chappy\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1132211) said:
@Cultured_Bogan said in [Joey not a happy chappy\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1132176) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Joey not a happy chappy\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1132171) said:
@Cultured_Bogan said in [Joey not a happy chappy\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1132161) said:

Maybe for once it is worth crowing about the clubs financial position. What good is it for Manly fans to have a good on field results when they don't have the coin to field a team?

You must have had crystal balls pre season CB ..you shall now be known as Bogandamus

Bogandumbarse?

Boganbargarse but I love you too much to say that bro

That would have been accurate 6 years ago haha...

Due to his natural abilities and hard work he is in a much better position than most not just financially but from a health and well-being point as well.

If it means for the short term you have to earn marginally less because you signed a contract that states you would ,so be it. Focus on football and your health and the rest will work it’s self out.

I sometimes have empathy for these guys, because many of them have from a young age live a life that is surreal and they have never had to deal with employment outside of the NRL and often reporters Ask them questions that are intentionally leading to get a quote for an article.

@TCL said in [Joey not a happy chappy\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1132233) said:
Due to his natural abilities and hard work he is in a much better position than most not just financially but from a health and well-being point as well.

If it means for the short term you have to earn marginally less because you signed a contract that states you would ,so be it. Focus on football and your health and the rest will work it’s self out.

I sometimes have empathy for these guys, because many of them have from a young age live a life that is surreal and they have never had to deal with employment outside of the NRL and often reporters Ask them questions that are intentionally leading to get a quote for an article.

Yes and their reply should be " I play the game because I love it and realize that there is 100 other blokes who would kill and die to play one game of NRL and would do it for a 1/4 of what I earn a season "

@pawsandclaws1 said in [Joey not a happy chappy\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1132204) said:
Joey better get his head out of his arse. Australians are losing and will lose their jobs. Having a footballer complaining is the last thing the NRL needs.

And 475 Italians lost their lives yesterday. All patients dying alone basically triage condemning them to be left to die. An international tragedy and I'm sure lots of families in Leichhardt and the outer South West are impacted.

A player like Joey will be able to ship overseas in an instant and still command good money to ply his trade elsewhere.

I understand BJ's sentiment. No one wants to give up anything throughout this. No one wants to give up their leave entitlements when businesses decide to back up on staff while business is on a downturn. Those who have no leave will be expected to take it without pay. Businesses will hurt without income, I mean one forum member has already said he's down to nothing virtually overnight.

Everyone is hurting, which is why his comments that he believes he should be looked after and treated differently when everyone else is being asked to sacrifice is completely out of touch.

He has a point in regards to the NRL though. Pretty horrendous Financial management by them . But the self absorption to make that claim , especially when at the last CBA negotiations were in line with the broadcast negotiations and the players ask for a set percentage of the revenue .
This was always the risk with negotiating this . You can’t get upset when the cards don’t fall your way .

@Cultured_Bogan said in [Joey not a happy chappy\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1132246) said:
Joey better get his head out of his arse. Australians are losing and will lose their jobs. Having a footballer complaining is the last thing the NRL needs.

And 475 Italians lost their lives yesterday. All patients dying alone basically triage condemning them to be left to die. An international tragedy and I'm sure lots of families in Leichhardt and the outer South West are impacted.

A player like Joey will be able to ship overseas in an instant and still command good money to ply his trade elsewhere.

Good. He can piss off now with his attitude of entitlement and enjoy Northern England.

Jeezus. Can you imagine the stuck pig squealing of the clubs if league central accumulated a big cash reserve? Too much money to clubs is never enough. The difference between us and AFL is that AFL has a strong central body and the NRL is run by a few greedy clubs. Cross Uncle Nick and your cards are marked. Good luck accumulating a cash reserve for the long term viability of the game. V'Landys made some tough calls which guaranteed the long term viability of the red hots but has buckleys of doing that with the NRL.

@Curaeus said in [Joey not a happy chappy\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1132082) said:
Even if you could plan for one-off global disasters like COVID-19 does anyone really think the mental giants running the NRL would be capable of coming up with anything decent. These clowns could not run a kids birthday party.

I have more chance of winning lotto than Greenburg having a stash of cash or a plan for the future

@pawsandclaws1 said in [Joey not a happy chappy\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1132264) said:
@Cultured_Bogan said in [Joey not a happy chappy\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1132246) said:

Good. He can piss off now with his attitude of entitlement and enjoy Northern England.

As I said I'm in agreeance with his disappointment that we have to suspend employment and deal with the consequences of that, but it is rich to listen to someone on a professional sportsman salary complain that they should be exempt because they have an employment contract. So do the rest of us.

Man this is disappointing, there are going to be major impacts on people with less room to move than Joey. He really needs to be pulled into line for this

I work for a company that has a bonus every quarter
We were told today,sorry boys but this quarter you will all be getting nothing.hard pill to swallow considering how busy we have been.
The scary thing is I’m very lucky compared to what a huge majority of employees and employers are about to go through.my heart goes out to all small business owners.
For a guy like Joey to say this seems laughable.
I can understand his mortgage is probably triple most peoples but so is his wage.
Professional athletes should be one of the last people to have a voice in this situation.

@diedpretty said in [Joey not a happy chappy\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1132174) said:
@GNR4LIFE said in [Joey not a happy chappy\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1132068) said:
Yes, because the NRL should anticipate a world wide pandemic. Funny how players are happy to trot out how the game is a business when they are negotiating contracts, yet when it comes to the downside of business, suddenly it’s not fair.

True but there was an article earlier today quoting Gould who said when the Commission was first formed 9 years ago, one of the things they intended to do was put aside 50 mil a year in to a futures fund. Today that fund would have had 450mil plus interest. So JL does have a point that the NRL have mismanaged what funds they have received over time. The other interesting point is where did it all go??? I read somewhere that John Grant a previous NRL halfwit drives a yellow Maseratti. He obviously did well.

That is the main question in all of this...where did all of the money from the last TV rights deal go? Would love the Crime and Corruption Commission to start having a solid dig through NRL's business. Toddy would be sweating if it did you would think.

@Sausagesorcerer said in [Joey not a happy chappy\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1132294) said:
We were told today,sorry boys but this quarter you will all be getting nothing.hard pill to swallow considering how busy we have been.
The scary thing is I’m very lucky compared to what a huge majority of employees and employers are about to go through.my heart goes out to all small business owners.
I can understand his mortgage is probably triple most peoples but so is his wage.
Professional athletes should be one of the last people to have a voice in this situation.

I'm guessing I got my last bonus on Tuesday ....

@happy_tiger said in [Joey not a happy chappy\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1132309) said:
@Sausagesorcerer said in [Joey not a happy chappy\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1132294) said:

I'm guessing I got my last bonus on Tuesday ....

I dare say
Enjoy it might be the last for a while

Back