John Bateman #268

I really hope we haven’t signed Bateman up to be a ball playing 13.
Why ?.. I also, thought that ball playing 13's were an outdated idea, and the trend was to have a third Prop, or a solid body eg Finucaine, Taumalolo at 13, or Tapaue, Twal, But now it seems like the coaches have gone back to a more nimble option in a pack. Cleary actually always had Yeo, play ball, and did not follow the trend. Sheens likes small packs in general, so it will be interesting to see what he does.

Why ?.. I also, thought that ball playing 13's were an outdated idea, and the trend was to have a third Prop, or a solid body eg Finucaine, Taumalolo at 13, or Tapaue, Twal, But now it seems like the coaches have gone back to a more nimble option in a pack. Cleary actually always had Yeo, play ball, and did not follow the trend. Sheens likes small packs in general, so it will be interesting to see what he does.
I meant that as in I don’t think Bateman is suited to that role.

We've obviously induced him to break the contract early. You think he asked for a release and then the Tigers rang him up and asked if he was available?
I'm sure we have and so has every other club. Not sure what your overall point is.

I just feel it's a dog act by Bateman to string Wigan along since July then tell them 2 months before the start of the season that he wants to move. Don't think anyone would disagree with that. As we all know, when a player asks for a release, they generally get it because no club wants a player that doesn't wanna be there.

The fact he's done it before means his word or his signature means nothing.

He's a good player though and looking forward to having him on the edge. Would just take a little while longer to warm up to him. In saying that, he plays one good game and knowing me, he'll become my favourite player.

This^^

Sheens loves the smaller faster ball playing pack. We won a premiership off the back of it. The idea got outdated during his last tenure. I'm thinking old man Sheens hasn't changed his ideas too much and will continue this at 13 rather than have a third prop in the pack that's been the current trend.

I think it comes down to who you have available to pick from. Yeo would be a ball playing 13 in every squad regardless of the trend because he can. He gets the job done 100%. Attack and defense. I can’t think of another player who is as good at what he does consistently across a season.

Bateman? Simplistically I’m happy to have signed him. Logistically 4 years seems risky but if he gets some momentum going with some short term results and future signings then bring it on.

Bateman to leave Wigan​

26 December 2022

Wigan Warriors can confirm that John Bateman will leave the Club with immediate effect to take up an opportunity in the NRL.​

The Club first heard murmurings that John Bateman wanted to leave in July. After speaking to John, his agent and the Club in question, we made it clear that we wanted John to remain at Wigan and the matter was closed.
During the World Cup campaign, John let the Club know of his desire to go back to the NRL. He asked to get the World Cup out of the way first, and then pick up discussions. With our desire to help England to do well in the tournament, we agreed to wait. After the tournament, John went on holiday and expressed his uncertainty regarding his future and requested time again to sort out in his own mind what he wanted to do.
On Wednesday 14th of December, John informed us of his decision that he wants to try the NRL one more time. It has been somewhat of a frustrating period but the Club now accepts that it is in everyone’s best interests that John is allowed a transfer from Wigan. On Friday 23rd December, the paperwork was completed.
In situations like this, there are obvious consequences. The uncertainty surrounding John’s future means that we have had to delay the squad numbers. The squad numbers have now been signed off and will be communicated between Christmas and New Year.
Secondly, there will be no immediate replacement for John as players have their contracts agreed with their Clubs. The recruitment of two class centres in Toby King and Jake Wardle means that Willie Isa and Kai Pearce-Paul can move back to their preferred positions at back row and with Liam Farrell and Morgan Smithies, we have lots of options. We will continue to monitor the squad and the marketplace as the 2023 Super League season unfolds.
As always in these situations, we have acted with the best interests of the Club at heart and we will continue to act in that manner. The Club received a significant transfer fee for John. We thank John for his service over his two stints and we wish him well.

Wigan whingeing about having players poached . Talk about the biter bit . A good deal of mirth in Non-Wigan SL circles right now.Happy Xmas

This is a big win-win for the Tigers!

The reasons I fully endorse this signing are as follows:

Bateman is a proud bloke who just loves to compete and individually wage war on his opposite number! He will not tank!

He is entirely in the Sheens mould in that he is a genuine footballer who actually reads play in both attack and defence - he stays on the ball & will not be restricted to his designated corridor + is a highly effective ball playing forward either by hand or even foot.

These are all of the qualities than made Benny Galea so critical to our Premiership side in 2005 (and one of my personal all-time faves)!

If he is unable/unwilling to complete the 4-year commitment - it will be because his form has warranted massive bucks to return to the the UK.

No harm - no foul!

He will prove to be a great point of difference in the back row from the strong, nuggety Isaiah Papa'ali'i on the the other side.

Bateman is also a genuine hard nut who can really throw his hands & has been doing it against bigger kids since he was a munchkin - and other players know that too!

AAA+++

Last edited:
I think it comes down to who you have available to pick from. Yeo would be a ball playing 13 in every squad regardless of the trend because he can. He gets the job done 100%. Attack and defense. I can’t think of another player who is as good at what he does consistently across a season.

Bateman? Simplistically I’m happy to have signed him. Logistically 4 years seems risky but if he gets some momentum going with some short term results and future signings then bring it on.
Hopefully we can get 2 good seasons out of him. Don't mind him being below par in his last 2 seasons if he shines in his first 2.

The bs thing with Wigan, is that they have been one of the quote Powerhouse clubs in the SL for quite a while

So when a team steals on of your best players to help them kmake finals for the first time in 100years, who do you think gives a flying **** about if ur angry or not

The bs thing with Wigan, is that they have been one of the quote Powerhouse clubs in the SL for quite a while

So when a team steals on of your best players to help them kmake finals for the first time in 100years, who do you think gives a flying **** about if ur angry or not
I don't think that Wigan are angry at the WT's ...but they are certainly pissed at Bateman ...and maybe there is a warning for all to see in those comments .....

Wigan weren't so worried when
they signed him and help entice
him to break his Canberra contract.

They can kick rocks who cares.

Smart choice i think we can promote from within seeing as we've added much needed experience already. Papal'li wanted to move to the middle Joffa can play there then theres the kid coming through we can blood him throughout the year.
Papali'i has good ball playing skills. Which have been good on an edge, he is a busy player.

Latest posts

Members online

Back