John Bateman #268

Happy with that, as with Bateman joining there is enough experience in the pack for mine.

Plus, no point being called a development club without utilising one's youth.
And where did u get this ground breaking news

OKay, whats the Hastings Vs Bateman conflict about?

I don't get it. Why would a half conflict with a second rower/lock? ?

OKay, whats the Hastings Vs Bateman conflict about?

I don't get it. Why would a half conflict with a second rower/lock? ?
Both are red personalities, domineering.
Those two would kill each other in an isolation cell.
Old news, nothin much to talk about.... he's gone now so good luck 👋

Fairly certain Bateman will be on the edge so it would be interesting to see who provides the link between Api and the halves.

I wonder if Klem, Stefano, Joffa and Twal would be made to do a bit of ball playing. I can't imagine Brooks, AD and Laurie being able to do much if they're constantly at first receiver.

Fairly certain Bateman will be on the edge so it would be interesting to see who provides the link between Api and the halves.

I wonder if Klem, Stefano, Joffa and Twal would be made to do a bit of ball playing. I can't imagine Brooks, AD and Laurie being able to do much if they're constantly at first receiver.
That’s why I believe the rumours Nathan brown will be here. He would be perfect to fill this role

That’s why I believe the rumours Nathan brown will be here. He would be perfect to fill this role
It would be good if a forum member could report on how they are training....usually a good indication of how they'll play in trials.
I think Bateman will provide that link role and also play the edges.
The second trial traditionally is where we'll see the closest to the round 1 line-up (or at least at some stage during the 2nd trial). Fly on the wall stuff.

I think Justin Matamua is the obvious choice. He apparently has impressed Sheens so much he is in the 30. Chris Faagutu is another highly rated 13 but sill very young.
Interesting 🤔
I like a ball playing lock to be an elusive player, someone who has a good pass and can change direction and run through a gap. Has an offload too.... Bateman has all that.
If they're a log they become robotic and easily dealt with. James Graham, when he first hit the seen, played that link role quiet well until opposition realized his feet were stuck in concrete and the dogs attack was stifled.
Justin is a big lad and I can't wait to see if what your saying is true. How many days now 🤔

Tigers recruit was “in two minds” before deciding on NRL return.
“There was a chance it could go either way.”

SmartSelect_20230109-082505_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Wests Tigers recruit John Bateman was reportedly "caught in two minds" whether to return to the NRL or remain with Super League outfit the Wigan Warriors before a final meeting decided his fate.

Bateman inked a four-year deal to land at Concord and return to Australia after 42 appearances for the Warriors across 2021-2022, with the Bradford-born forward now set to add to his career down under after playing two seasons with the Canberra Raiders before returning home.

The signing of Bateman adds to a strong year of recruitment ahead of the 2023 season for the Tigers, who have also welcomed Apisai Koroisau, Isaiah Papali'i and David Klemmer to their forward pack for Tim Sheens' return to the coaches box.

Bateman, who has tallied over 250 appearances at either the domestic or international level, remained a chance to stick with the Warriors for another year before signing with the Tigers, with Wigan coach Matt Peet revealing his star second-rower was strongly considering the option of continuing his career in England.

While Peet was aware that "there was a chance it could go either way", a final meeting with Bateman soon settled the forward's future.

"We've spoken to him a couple of times and wish him all the best," Peet said, via Wigan Today. "We would like to see him go over there and succeed because he remains a friend of the club.

“He was only clear (that he wanted to leave) right at the end.

“For a while he seemed to be caught in two minds, and it was only in my very last meeting with him that it was clear that his mind was made up. The club and Wests came to an agreement quickly.

“It would've been great if it had been dealt with quicker but with the World Cup it wasn't meant to be.

“I was always aware that there was a chance it could go either way, and I got my head around that."

Bateman will be in the frame to make his NRL return in Round 1 when the Tigers host Gold Coast at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday, March 5.

The Englishman will have to wait to face his old side however, with the Tigers not scheduled to clash with Canberra until Round 14 of the NRL season, which will commence in June.

I can't wait to see John play against the Raiders and beat them.

Any news on His arrival to Australia , heard it was visa delay , what’s the normal time to get a visa ,
It is visa issues that’s delayed his arrival.

Club has an immigration lawyer working on trying to sort it out but still a while to go.

They’re hoping he’ll be here at some stage in January, so they can get him prepped for the second trial game.

I wonder if Klem, Stefano, Joffa and Twal would be made to do a bit of ball playing.
Your profile is Tim Sheens.

He turned Gareth Ellis into a ball player!
The one thing Sheens can do is turn a good forward into a ball player.

Latest posts

Members online

Back