Josh Reynolds - over hyped and over paid

Yeah 187500 a season LOL

I paid that for my house

Maybe we should stick that on the field

Clearly Reynolds best skill is running with the ball - he is not a particularly good kicker, nor an organiser, nor has much of a passing game, and his defence is "enthusiastic" rather than efficient. I don't see how anybody could have expected more than this, as even in his prime, which was a few years back now, he was exactly the same. He plays on energy and desire, which although great traits not to be dismissed, need to be accompanied by a range of skills in order to result in a "marquis" performance week in and week out. Unfortunately as he gets older he is going to be incapable of utilising the few attributes he has. Benji at least still has skills - they don't always work out - but he has them still and if he can keep fit and enthusiastic Unlike many here, I believe he is currently the better choice for us to get results. For me, I'd give Reynolds some time in ISP to get his timing and game sense back and then revisit the problem in 4-5 weeks.
In saying the above, I believe that Benji played carrying injuries for a lot of last season whilst he was covering for Reynolds (basically because there was no other choice) - there were a few games that it was obvious he couldn't run at all. So to clarify my comment we can't be doing that again - he certainly should not be playing unless he is 100% fit.

Anyone who thinks he isn’t on significant coin is having a laugh. We signed him right after we lost Tedesco, Woods and Moses. We were crying out for a big name signing and we had the cash to make one. Plus were in a position where we had to pay guys overs. 750 is plausibe. He wouldn’t be on much less.

He was a “Hail Mary” type of buy.
We were desperate for a high profile signing and …..... now we hope to god he comes good.
But you know something I get the feeling his heart is not in to playing at his best for anyone but the Bulldogs. Not that he is not trying ..... just saying Bulldogs are in his DNA.

Reynolds best strength is usually his support play , bit like Baa in that sense

Lets hope we make enough line breaks so his strength can be utilized

Reynolds is a buy we would not have made with a Crystal ball.
If we could see the future and realise that Marshall would be available,
that Cooper Cronk would be available (By that I mean shift Brooks to 5/8 and have Cronk as half to peer mentor him).

Where we went astray was that Maloney was making noises that he wasn't liking his 500K.
That being said…. All this is with a crystal ball.
We were going down the tubes. Seriously down the tubes. We had lost most of our talent and players want to play with good players. Reynolds was a clear indication that we were seriously rebuilding.

We also haven't seen Reynolds play. Too injured, he has barely taken the field. Had we not hired, doubt we would have gotten Cronk, doubt there was much Maloney would have seen in us. I would like to judge him on modern form, in his day the guy could clearly play and was a gutsy defender. We haven't seen him take to the field uninjured for the tigers and I want to see that first.

The bigger problem was hiring Mbye. Cmon Reynolds opened the Bulldogs portal to strong forwards. We passed on Graham, maybe we could have done a Newcastle and overplayed Klemmer or Jackson to come play with us. Instead we took the Dogs overpayed cashcow (perhaps we did this twice.). Then we had people suggest we pinch Lichaa as well... ROFL the bottom 4 team.

I just want to add a lot of what Josh added to the team is now present in players that were not with us then.
Farah and Marshall have added team spirit in spades. Packer brought some grit with him, (bring more out this season big guy). Corey Thompson is just general good guy glue but no one could know these good characters would be joining us.

We lacked leadership in spades and Josh as a person is 100% team. We do not need Josh to guide our younger players now and help them hold their nerve but prior all those signings we needed solid leadership.

McGuire, you need to guide another Reynolds in the halves.

It's amazing what sort of comments trial matches bring out in people.

My ONLY problem with Reynolds is he is trying a little too hard. Best play yesterday was when he went to the left, threw a few dummys, challenged the line, ran around in circles then GOT TACKLED. Fantastic, the more he plays the more he will settle down and pick his moments.

I also have no issue with him being a runner, this is Luke Brook's team, if Luke cant run it then we need to look for someone who can.

Not just Ivan:

kelly Egan would of had a say too. Would be good if we went to England but with twins on the way unlikely

@willow said:
It’s amazing what sort of comments trial matches bring out in people.

Í'd like to say I was amazed, but some people really have a passion for it.

Mbye was good last year and I expect him to kill it this year. Sure Reynolds needs a chance but he hasn't really looked up to it once.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing Col.

You don't know we didn't make a play for some of the players you mentioned.
Cronk was never going to come here, Maloney stated he would never come here. Jackson would never leave Canterbury, I think we made a play for Graham but were outbid. Klemmer was not worth the money being bandied around.

Some things work out, some don't.
We did the best we could at the time - no one can do better than that

I'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but it is hard to see how he's going to be a good fit in the team.
I reckon if Madge can't get it to work well this season he won't see out his contract here.
Mind you, we could have done with a bit more ticker in that trial from the start - we were flat as a tack!

Yep, what annoyed me a little in Mbye's post game interview was that he likened the trial to a NRL game. I hope they turn up with a bit more enthusiasm to Leichhardt in 2 weeks time.

Mybe is good with talk - but to date - remains a player who has not excelled in any position imo.

Latest posts

Back