Justin Olam #281

In fairness, Olam will only do damage if he is given space by the halves.

If the defence is in your face on every play, it doesn't matter how good you are.

Halves will be the key off the back of a good platform by the pigs.

I am over the Halves love affair.

Seriously OVER IT.

2022 remember, we had Hastings + Brooks + AD.. we were predicted to come 8th by some.
We came last. Why? we got Steamrolled with fair halves.

2023 We actually hire a decent forward pack and can move the ball forward. on some metrics our pack was performing in the top 8... Why?
Lost Halves + lost backs.

2024, I actually and foolishly have hope:
same pack, but we have a full season together.
Rookie Half + Grandad half. ... Probably worse then 2023, except I reckon Sullivan can actually guide a team slightly better then Brooks.
Our backs are actually looking better!

We have that balance now that people thought we had in 2022. 2022 it was just mediocre in the forwards and the back. With Olam, we don't upgrade Toa, we upgrade the other Center position that went missing.

Forwards let your team move forward.
Hooker, gives early ball to your halves and can help control the play.
Halves usually get the kick meters and spot where the gaps are in the opposition line.
Center's are key to defense, ensuring your wingers don't get overlap and also help create that overlap.
Wingers are there to cross the line and try to tackle a runaway edge attack.
Fullback covers defensive gaps (A big ask on Bula) as well as having the freedom to find gaps to push.

^we win when it all works together. Yea sure a DCE or Cronk would reorganise a team and give sloppy backs a chance. We don't have that. When we pull together as a team and function that way we will start winning games.

Good halves help, they are only 1/13 on the field.

The word down here in Bleak City, I’ve just heard, is that he’s had some real issues with the drink. Can’t verify that for sure but hope it’s just a rumour and he doesn’t take that part of his game to us.
I’d imagine it wasn’t a problem until he got injured
It’s my understanding that it supposedly slows rehab

My source within the club tells me the coaching staff are pleasantly surprised by Olam. They knew he was big and strong, but they didn't know he had football smarts. Not to mention he is smashing it in the gym. Really sets a good training standard. The young lads have a guy to look up to.
Hi guys. A lot of you liked this post so I need to clarify that I have no sources within the club and was talking out of my ass.

Back