KARMICHAEL HUNT DEFECTION!!!!

@alex said:
I reckon he'll play next year in the VFL, then one year (2011) in the AFL and be back in Rugby (either league or union) by 2012.

He's too short to play AFL. He'll get monstered. Guys like Inglis and Folau I can understand. But Hunt … eh.

Does anyone have a general figure on what a marquee player in the AFL, say a Chris Judd or Gary Ablett Jr would be getting paid per season? Hunt was offered $400,000 a season on a 3 year contract from the Broncos and turned it down ... if i was in my early 20s and was offered $400,000 a year I'd be over the moon!

AFL talent scouts in Brisbane attempted to sign him up as a teenager due to his ability as an AFL junior. He will do okay

K.Hunt played AFL as youngster so he should be decent at the basics. Best of luck to the guy.

He said he played a handful of games in Year 12 and says he's used to the game. Lol. I'm sure a couple of high school Gala Days will prepare you for the AFL hahaha.

@Zaibatsu said:
Karmichael is playing AFL next season and the Tigers will be 09 premiers! Keep it up :slight_smile:

:laughing:
Going off some of your judgements recently, I really hope you're not a punter. Some people really shouldn't bet.

FWIW, I think it will be a failure, and within 12 months of playing AFL he will return to either league or union. Tigers should keep in contact with his manager in 2011 when he does flop.

@T91 said:
K.Hunt played AFL as youngster so he should be decent at the basics. Best of luck to the guy.

And I played tennis at high school but I'm not signing up for Wimbledon just yet! :laughing:

@Yossarian said:
@T91 said:

And I played tennis at high school but I'm not signing up for Wimbledon just yet! :laughing:

Why Not? You never know, we may see you walk out on centre court in a igers jersey ready to take on Federer!

Good on him I say. Great effort if he can play both of Australia's major football codes at the top level. Will be interested to see how he goes.

I've never quite understood the AFL vs. NRL thing. I love my league and don't hate AFL, puts me in a minority. And now Karmichael is a "scumbag" and a "traitor" because he's decided to change codes :unamused: …

I think this underlines just how clueless Danny Weidler and those tossers from the DT are, always claiming how well connected they are and yet Karmichael being approached by an AFL team and mulling over it for months somehow escaped their radar.

Good luck to him, I reckon he'll kill it for the GC.

@alex said:
He said he played a handful of games in Year 12 and says he's used to the game. Lol. I'm sure a couple of high school Gala Days will prepare you for the AFL hahaha.

Mate the AFL have imported blokes from Ireland, Scotland, Wales & Canada who'd never kicked an oval ball, barely seen the game, played it or even knew the rules. I'm sure a professional athlete who has played the sport, understands it and grown up surrounded by it will be just fine.

Karmichael could earn WAY more $$$ in NRL, Superleague or Union.. I'm sure he and the GC are quite confident that he'll adapt.

@Zaibatsu said:
Karmichael is playing AFL next season and the Tigers will be 09 premiers! Keep it up :slight_smile:

Don't let em get to you Z…your 110% right....He doesn't play AFL till 2011.....

If this is a gee up it's the biggest one since fine cotton...cause the press confrence looked pretty real to me.....

@Geo. said:
@Zaibatsu said:

Don't let em get to you Z…your 110% right....He doesn't play AFL till 2011.....

If this is a gee up it's the biggest one since fine cotton...cause the press confrence looked pretty real to me.....

Bwahahahahahaaaaaah!!!

Another pearler Z….....do keep them coming,anything else that isnt going to happen,Ill be up to the TAB tootsweet.

Hunt will struggle says fellow code switcher
Chris Thomson, watoday.com.au | July 29, 2009 - 12:43PM

League star Karmichael Hunt will struggle in his transition to the AFL, says fellow code switcher Adrian Barich.

The only man to have played Australian Football and Rugby League at the elite level says League star Karmichael Hunt will not make the Aussie Rules cut.

Brisbane Broncos fullback Hunt announced today he will switch codes to join the new Gold Coast Australian Football club when it joins the AFL in 2011.

He will complete this NRL season with the Broncos before heading overseas for six months and beginning his Australian Rules career next May.

"I'm pretty excited at the opportunity in front of me," Hunt, 22, said this morning.

"I just felt it was time for a new challenge.

"I've let it sit with me for the past couple of months and I only decided fairly recently."

However, Adrian Barich - who played 47 AFL games with the West Coast Eagles before playing the inaugural 1995 Australian Rugby League season with the now-defunct Western Reds - says Hunt will take years to learn the necessary skills.

"It's the greatest publicity stunt of all time, I reckon," Barich told WAtoday.com.au

"I'm not sure what his kicking is like, but I would suggest that coming into the game he would be the worst kick in the AFL.

"He's a great athlete, but when he comes over he'll have the worst kicking, the worst overhead marking of any AFL player, and he doesn't know how to handball."

Hunt's defection will be the first time an NRL player has switched to Australian Rules.

Broncos CEO Bruno Cullen disagreed with Barich, speculating Hunt would do well in Australian football.

"He played a bit of AFL at high school," Cullen told ABC Radio.

"He's a fantastic athlete. He can kick. The thing that he would be short on at the moment would be that durability … the running."

However, Barich said different philosophies between the two sports would work against Hunt.

"AFL is a contact sport but Rugby League is a collision sport," Barich said.

"He would need to reverse that, for starters.

"That said, he is a freak of an athlete so if he could do it, it would be the greatest sporting story Australia's ever heard."

Barich, who played Rugby Union until the age of 17, said that although his move from AFL to Rugby League was tough, Hunt's move the other way would be even tougher.

"I had to adjust to the level of violence," he said.

"But Karmichael will have to adjust to the skill component which in AFL is much higher.

"It will be hilarious watching him handball.

"When a Rugby League player takes an overhead grab to score a try they're applauded like heroes, but that's just par for the course in Aussie Rules."

The Broncos had fought to retain the star, who has played with the club from being a 15-year-old schoolboy.

In March, club chiefs finally withdrew a $1 million offer, saying they could wait no longer for Hunt to make up his mind.

The Auckland-born fullback has played 10 State of Origin matches for Queensland and 11 Tests for Australia since joining the Broncos in 2004.

No cause for panic, says Gallop
July 29, 2009 - 2:24PM

Karmichael Hunt's switch to Australian Rules "doesn't mean the sky is falling" on rugby league, says NRL boss David Gallop.

Gallop says Hunt's decision to switch codes to league' major football rival Australian Rules with new AFL franchise Gold Coast was not a reflection on any deep problems within rugby league.

‘‘Karmichael has been looking for a change for some time and we wish him luck in finding what he is looking for," said Gallop in a statement as he headed to Singapore for a three-day meeting of international rugby league powerbrokers.

‘‘This is an individual decision, the sky is not falling - only a week ago we had (Wallaby centre) Timana Tahu coming back to rugby league."

He contrasted Hunt's exit from the game with the sensational sudden departure of Bulldogs star Sonny Bill Williams last season early in his contract for a lucrative offer in French rugby union.

And he played down the obvious PR benefit the AFL will glean as it hones on on the fiercely contested Gold Coast sporting market where the NRL's Gold Coast Titans currently reign.

‘‘Karmichael hasn't walked out on a contract," Gallop said.

‘‘He hasn't deserted teammates and we would welcome him back in the future.

‘‘Rugby league is in a very strong position in many areas, Queensland and the Gold Coast in particular, and I am sure that we will maintain and grow that strength regardless of this announcement."

Two very very different games. Clever move by the Gold Coast AFL club if they are willing to spend that sort of money on him. Get a well known QLD RL player to play AFL. That will build up a lot of support and publicity there before they start in the comp. He will be playing for a team that will have very little expectations in their first few years. If he was signed to play for Geelong, Collingwood, West Coast Eagles - a well established team, he would probably never be seen or heard from again. I certainly don't think any of those clubs would risk anywhere near that sort of money on him. Like League the top level players don't just start playing in their mid-20s, they have been playing and developing the skills since they were kids. Good luck to him but it is a very interesting career move.

@alex said:
He's too short to play AFL. He'll get monstered.

Gary Ablett jr probably the best player in the AFL is 182cm K.Hunt 186cm so whats your point?

@weststigerman said:
@Zaibatsu said:

:laughing:
Going off some of your judgements recently, I really hope you're not a punter. Some people really shouldn't bet.

Can't judge sarcasm I see…

Last year the tab paid for my new dirt bike, so I do alright thanks :slight_smile:

Back