KARMICHAEL HUNT DEFECTION!!!!

@Zaibatsu said:
@weststigerman said:
@Zaibatsu said:
Karmichael is playing AFL next season and the Tigers will be 09 premiers! Keep it up :slight_smile:

:laughing:
Going off some of your judgements recently, I really hope you're not a punter. Some people really shouldn't bet.

Can't judge sarcasm I see…

Last year the tab paid for my new dirt bike, so I do alright thanks :slight_smile:

Don't backtrack now mate :laughing:

@JRD said:
@alex said:
He's too short to play AFL. He'll get monstered.

Gary Ablett jr probably the best player in the AFL is 182cm K.Hunt 186cm so whats your point?

Nth Melbourne - 16 players under 186cms, shortest Brent Harvey at 172cm
Richmond - 15 players under 186cms, shortest Jake King at 178 cm
Collingwood - 16 players under 186 cms - shortest 177cm
Geelong - 21 players under 186cms, shortest 175 cm

So, I am assuming that all other clubs will probably be in the same vicinity

There is 3 players playing this year at 172cm.
Shortest ever was 162 cm (Danny Craven, played in the 90's for Saints and Brisbane)
So, I am siding with JRD, 'Whats your point'?

@Zaibatsu said:
@stryker said:

How am I backtracking? :confused:

Because 13 hours ago you told me I had failed and that those of us who were discussing this TRUE story were being fooled. Now it was just sarcasm ???

@alex said:
I reckon he'll play next year in the VFL, then one year (2011) in the AFL and be back in Rugby (either league or union) by 2012.

He's too short to play AFL. He'll get monstered. Guys like Inglis and Folau I can understand. But Hunt … eh.

Does anyone have a general figure on what a marquee player in the AFL, say a Chris Judd or Gary Ablett Jr would be getting paid per season? Hunt was offered $400,000 a season on a 3 year contract from the Broncos and turned it down ... if i was in my early 20s and was offered $400,000 a year I'd be over the moon!

I believe the salary cap for AFL is about $8million, give or take some.
Judd I believe earns about $700k-$800k as would the other top players. I heard on one news source Hunt would be getting $3million over his 3 years though which would require heaps of outside football work and probably a major reason for his move.

Overall I am not sure what to make of this move both from the AFL and Karmichael Hunt. Karmichael played a few AFL games in high school and was getting looked at by AFL scouts before his entrance straight into FG. He has achieved pretty much all he can in rugby league in his short career and says he is looking for a challenge. To make a name in the AFL is just that. His body size, etc will mean he will probably play as a defender. The big problem for him though is that the modern AFL game relies on a top skill set and I wouldn't have a clue how clean his AFL skills would be, though he does have a few years before the Gold Coast are an AFL side. He could eventually be a mid-fielder though he would need to lose some of his muscle as he is fairly big for an AFL player. To call him a traitor, etc I don't agree with. His contract is up and he is free to do anything he chooses. The game and his club will move on and some young star will more than likely make his name at the club.

The AFL see this as a publicity stunt. There seems to be no other reason for targeting league players. They will probably get a few more 1st time viewers to their games on tv and live, though whether they stick around won't be because of him is another issue. The AFL really see this as a war while league will continue to live on without the game causing too much of an impact. Young kids should be the AFL's targets and they will not follow Hunt to AFL, they will instead support Winterstein, Folau or Beale.

@stryker said:
@Zaibatsu said:
@stryker said:

How am I backtracking? :confused:

Because 13 hours ago you told me I had failed and that those of us who were discussing this TRUE story were being fooled. Now it was just sarcasm ???

Um NO. I said I was being sarcastic about the Tigers winning the premiership????? Open your eyes and READDDDDDDDDD whats infront of you before you comment?

How is this a suprise to anyone? Maybe the destination is unexpected but the act is not.

This is a fellow who sold out his own country because he wanted to play Origin (and get the money involved no doubt) No character or spine for Harmichael has ever been displayed in his approach off the field.

That and now he can run amock drunk and the AFL will protect him with a cover up.

I honestly don't blame Hunt for the choice to switch…

Ofcorse I personally like the NRL more than the AFL but there is no question that the AFL is so much more successful its unbelievable, 80,000 crowds at regular season matches sums it up really, thats a crowd the NRL can only draw to a grand final, who wouldn't want to play infront of 60,000+ crowds EVERY weekeend?

@Danos said:
I've never quite understood the AFL vs. NRL thing. I love my league and don't hate AFL, puts me in a minority. And now Karmichael is a "scumbag" and a "traitor" because he's decided to change codes :unamused: …

I think this underlines just how clueless Danny Weidler and those tossers from the DT are, always claiming how well connected they are and yet Karmichael being approached by an AFL team and mulling over it for months somehow escaped their radar.

Good luck to him, I reckon he'll kill it for the GC.

I thought he was a scumbag long before he did this… :laughing:

I guess we should all be thankful. The last time a new club started on the gold coast, they stole 2 of our key players…

@Zaibatsu said:

Ofcorse I personally like the NRL more than the AFL but there is no question that the AFL is so much more successful its unbelievable, 80,000 crowds at regular season matches sums it up really, thats a crowd the NRL can only draw to a grand final, who wouldn't want to play infront of 60,000+ crowds EVERY weekeend?

I didn't know he had signed with a major Melbourne side.

Last time I checked the Lions crowds are falling, the Gold Coast have no guaranteed support base. In fact crowds are down in Sydney to boot and even strongholds such as Adelaide.

@Zaibatsu said:
Can't judge sarcasm I see…

It's actually the Karmichael comment that had me laughing, considering he's officially announced he's joining. I wish you were serious about the tiger's comment, I think that's enough to boost our chances.

But hey, you're not completely wrong because he doesn't play officially until 2011.

@Zaibatsu said:

He won't be playing in front of 60,000 crowds too many times with the Gold Coast Whatevers…

@smeghead said:
@Zaibatsu said:

Last time I checked the Lions crowds are falling, the Gold Coast have no guaranteed support base. In fact crowds are down in Sydney to boot and even strongholds such as Adelaide.

He will be playing in Melbourne every 2nd week though… As for the Lions, their crowd figures might be slightly down as you would expect with the current financial situation but they still do very healthily.

I'm not trying to go into bat for the AFL, I hope this experiment fails to be honest, I'm just saying that I can understand the lure of the code for our players, especially if they have an AFL background as a junior as Karmichael does.

The scary thing is, the AFL are making him (and any other NRL poachings) salary cap exempt, thus could be a massive gateway if Hunt proves to be successful and the clubs aren't dipping into their cap space by signing them.

Average crowds for 2008:

AFL: 38,287
NRL: 16,321
Brisbane Lions: 28,128
Brisbane Broncos: 34,736

Don't think he was going for the crowds. The new Gold Coast team will probably have lower crowds, especially after the first few rounds if they start to struggle.

@smeghead said:
@Zaibatsu said:

The AFL think they can set up a team anywhere and the punters will turn up in droves. As you point out, the reality is they struggle to sustain two teams in Perth and Adelaide so I don't know how they think two teams in SE Qld or Sydney will work. I'm betting there are is a good chunk of the Lions support base who travel from the GC who won't be doing that anymore.

@Juro said:
Average crowds for 2008:

AFL: 38,287
NRL: 16,321
Brisbane Lions: 28,128
Brisbane Broncos: 34,736

Don't think he was going for the crowds. The new Gold Coast team will probably have lower crowds, especially after the first few rounds if they start to struggle.

You have to question how many Lions fans travel from the Gold Coast now. I just don't think there is a natural base for an AFL team on the GC that will sustain a team long term. The AFL are soon going to have 4 teams that they have to artificially keep successful in order to prevent them going under. You think the Lions would average 28000 if they ran 14th for a few years?

Yeah, you're right. The addition of the extra team will dilute the fan base even further for the AFL.

Latest posts

Members online

Back