Knights V Tigers live game thread

Bugger...just seen the Walters news. All the best in recovery, Billy.

@Geo said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1200056) said:
@jirskyr said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1200010) said:
@Magpie1969 said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1200002) said:
Love to be a fly on the wall if Marshall asks for an extension. If Maguire was dead set serious Marshall played his last career game tonight. Big fan but he was shit.

It was definitely old-school Benji Marshall defence tonight. He "did a Doueihi" getting in front of Essay Essay and turning his back, but at least Dou brought Junior Paulo down, not like Benji who basically gave Ese a Jupiter-style gravity slingshot towards the line.

Jupiter II

Lost in space

Dr Smith?

@jirskyr said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199993) said:
@Lauren said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199942) said:
I obviously don’t have any coaching credentials or expertise so can’t offer one solution sorry @jirskyr. But the one piece advice I will offer - due to watching a dismal Broncos team - is that if something isn’t working or stinks, it needs changing.

I'm not having a go at you by any means, I think your comments were more or less valid. What I am saying is I don't know what the coach is supposed to do next.

For example your comment, "if something isn't working, it needs changing". I agree, but I don't think anyone can genuinely say Madge hasn't mixed up his rosters in 2020 - arguably more than any Tigers coach I can recall. He's dropped both his halves, he worked out tactical mid-year transfers for a hooker (Grant) and a winger (Kepaoa). He's promoted and demoted forwards, rested some players, moved some others around (like Mbye and Walters). Sometimes his hand has been forced by injury or suspension. But fundamentally Madge only has 30 guys to choose from and the 13 who aren't playing in first grade don't have consistent reserves games in 2020 to keep themselves in some kind of form.

Even to the point this week that Brad Fittler, who is often a moron so take his opinion lightly, but Fittler made comment that Madge potentially shuffles his roster TOO much.

We still don’t know our best team.
He’s named a captain who is the least inspiring team member.
Is yet to install any game plans that correct any of our issues.
Has made poor team and interchange selections all year.
Doesn’t hold all players accountable.

So when it comes to your suggestions that I quoted, they aren't invalid. But when I dig down into them, with the mindset of agreeing with you to some extent, I ask myself what the coach would do differently to address your concerns. And I'm not a coach either.

For example, "captain who is least inspiring". I don't know if this is true, I'm not on the field and I don't know Moses Mbye. But if the team is so weak-minded that (c) makes a difference, if it's Mbye or Benji or the new guy, then I fear that it's the least of our worries who the captain is. Everyone has a voice, everyone can talk, everyone can lead by example. When there's an error, they can all defend and work hard on their line speed, and the captain shouldn't matter.

When it comes to selections, interchange and accountability, again he's only got a certain # of players to work with. It may simply be the roster just isn't that good, and as biased fans we look for positives in the roster, rose-coloured glasses-style, where perhaps they barely exist. Maybe Luke Garner is a promising young kid with some running game and decent front-on defence, or maybe he's just an inconsistent battler who sometimes plays alright.

And personally I think Maguire has some really good kids in the system, but they're all so green right now, it's hard to just throw them in and not expect some heartache. E.g. Kepaoa, I think there's real potential there, but simply on paper tonight he was poor and the errors were critical. Even still, I think it's a more astute plan long-term to buy a big young winger with footwork, because you can always work on skill and handling, than carrying a Corey Thompson for another few years, who is a really likeable bloke but we've seen his best and it's not top-tier. But it may be weeks, months or even years until we see the fruits of Maguire's 2019 and 2020 decisions.

Because it's interesting you mention the Broncos, who on paper aren't such a bad side. Seibold clearly did a good job in his short tenure with Souths and he impressed the Broncos enough to be hired. Broncos forwards pack is quite enviable in my opinion and there's some real quality in their roster, e.g. Fifita and Staggs. But right now, mid-COVID 2020 they are a horrible football side and I wouldn't have a clue how they rectify that in a hurry.

I know you weren't @jirskyr and I was seriously doing that in jest but was feeling too depressed to add >>?<<. So sincerely sorry for how it came across. My bad.

I actually agree with most of what you say but looking back at our games against Panthers and Eels and seeing how the team managed to motivate itself - while seeming lethargic against Bunnies and now Knights - surely this has to be due to fatigue management and any strategic (game) planning.
If it's left the team feeling mentally and physically depleted, does this actually fall on the players or rather our coaching staff.

I like Madge and his ability for creating an inspiring and encouraging environment despite our flaws, but surely he has to see what we all do. And that is, that this team can realistically only do so much and that some tried and tested methods should stay that. Why change what's been working.
He deserves the credit for bringing the effort out of them but IMO also deserves to be held accountable for poor selections or game plans. This is why I mentioned we need to have someone else in our coaching squad to add more variable (coaching) techniques, the game's tempo is more attack and skill driven. We have smaller players who have shown they are capable of producing quick ptbs and passes, but we don't have the appropriate team leaders to follow this type of game plan through. So while it's not Madge's fault, he should be able to modify the game plan according to our opponents.

@Spacecub said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1198753) said:
I was told earlier this year by grubs mum that most of the squad don't want a bar of Maguire....i got hammered on here, what do we all think now

Are you sure you aren't Grubs mother?

@Newtown said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1198968) said:
Can anyone tell me please why Maguire has kept Lawrence on the full half? Bnji is looking like an aged pensioner and the team are playing like have never had a training session. What a rabble. This is going to hurt financially but the club has to start fulll time sackings straight after this match. Lawrence and Brnji you have now racked up 250 games so however thinking about retirement?

Quite often respect your posts - obviously you were not watching the game when you wrote the above post.
Rowdy was one of the few out there having a dig and you question his commitment. Not one of your better posts Mate.

@hodgo said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199824) said:
@Goanna57 said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199784) said:
@hodgo said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199642) said:
@Goanna57 said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199553) said:
We can be as critical of players as much as we like but the question has to be asked,why have we gone backwards so fast.Maguire is putting a side on the field not a team ,we are going to finish the lowest on the ladder for a few years .I think The players have lost faith in Maguire’s coaching methods he has to own that like some of the players he is past he’s use by date

this is the stuff that blows my mind.
Yeah lets swap coaches again. Lets not let the coach make his team. He trains them to hard. Blah blah blah.

The reason we are in this position is because of these reactions at a higher level. If some players don't want to play for him move them on. If they think they are training to hard go throw them on a worksite for a few weeks. He is a carbon copy of Bellamy except Bellamy has the team he wants and has been allowed to develop a culture.

This is crap but we need a vision we have one we just dont have the cattle.

That’s your opinion but the only crap I see is what you have written

Then enlighten us oh wise one. What would you do? I'm sure you can make this playing group hum.

Firstly I’m not getting paid to make the team hum secondly at the moment there a side not a team.In your first post you stated Maguire needs time to bring his own players to suit his style,he has recruited 10 yes ten players to the club if you want I can list them.He has also given 4 others a start who where at the club .So give him another 2,3,or 5 years so we can finish 9th again but that might be an improvement on this year

@Goanna57 said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1200170) said:
We can be as critical of players as much as we like but the question has to be asked,why have we gone backwards so fast.Maguire is putting a side on the field not a team ,we are going to finish the lowest on the ladder for a few years .I think The players have lost faith in Maguire’s coaching methods he has to own that like some of the players he is past he’s use by date

Yeah lets swap coaches again. Lets not let the coach make his team. He trains them to hard. Blah blah blah.

The reason we are in this position is because of these reactions at a higher level. If some players don't want to play for him move them on. If they think they are training to hard go throw them on a worksite for a few weeks. He is a carbon copy of Bellamy except Bellamy has the team he wants and has been allowed to develop a culture.

Then enlighten us oh wise one. What would you do? I'm sure you can make this playing group hum.

Firstly I’m not getting paid to make the team hum secondly at the moment there a side not a team.In your first post you stated Maguire needs time to bring his own players to suit his style,he has recruited 10 yes ten players to the club if you want I can list them.He has also given 4 others a start who where at the club .So give him another 2,3,or 5 years so we can finish 9th again but that might be an improvement on this year

Can you do the list please !

im sorry mate but surely you can see he is hamstrung by current contracts. The 10 players you list id say are ok and will develop into decent first-grader hopefully 1 or two into awesome first graders but until he has access to the 2.5ish mil tied up in not very good players he is not going to be able to score a big fish. Added to that i doubt a big fish comes here so it has to be done by youth.

@hodgo said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1200175) said:

im sorry mate but surely you can see he is hamstrung by current contracts. The 10 players you list id say are ok and will develop into decent first-grader hopefully 1 or two into awesome first graders but until he has access to the 2.5ish mil tied up in not very good players he is not going to be able to score a big fish. Added to that i doubt a big fish comes here so it has to be done by youth.

As I said last week it would be nice to see improvement year on year.

@cochise said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1200186) said:

i guess that's were we see things differently. Yes we will finish below 9th but I can see improvement in a lot of areas which has me hopeful i guess.

@hodgo said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1200189) said:
@cochise said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1200186) said:

i guess that's were we see things differently. Yes we will finish below 9th but I can see improvement in a lot of areas which has me hopeful i guess.

I can see improvement in our forwards but our backs have gone backwards, massively backwards in some cases.

@Tigerbuck63 said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199106) said:
Where is Russell (Forum Member) tonight.
You gave me crap this week about the side and not having much expectation after losing to the Warriors. I hope you sitting back tonight and learning something about this side, as stated we just don't have the cattle to be a Top 8 team.
Clearly shows it again tonight, until we move the older players on we wont be competitive, Congrats on a crap performance fir the 250 game players tonight.

I'll give you crap again this week then.
You don't know what you are talking about - Rowdy was one of our best tonight
along with Packer, Blore and Lucy in the forwards. The rest very ordinary.

Forget the backs, we lost in the middle - what do you expect?

@Russell said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1200193) said:
You gave me crap this week about the side and not having much expectation after losing to the Warriors. I hope you sitting back tonight and learning something about this side, as stated we just don't have the cattle to be a Top 8 team.
Clearly shows it again tonight, until we move the older players on we wont be competitive, Congrats on a crap performance fir the 250 game players tonight.

Thought it was funny though the way you got called out ..
Where is Russell ( forum member )
?

@hobbo1 said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1200202) said:

?

Careful say his name 3 times in front of the mirror and he appears before you.

@cochise said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1200205) said:

?

Careful say his name 3 times in front of the mirror and he appears before you.

I like the cranky old sod !

?

Where was the other Russell? 4 runs, what an effort

Well there is a couple of points we can agree on after all.one I do think some of those young players will develop in to good players.Proplem is we need to blend them with good very good experience players ,and as you said what top quality players want to come to us

@hobbo1 said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1200174) said:

Can you do the list please !

I’m going to work now will post it Sunday sometime

@Year_of_the_Tiger said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199488) said:
Croc tears from a trash player

Your the one that said he was giving up.

Very poor statement indeed.

@BalmainJnr said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199498) said:
Edit: this image below is me right now and thank you to the clown who down voted my post.
![041F144B-DA8A-48EC-903B-AB8982905F0E.jpeg](/assets/uploads/files/1596878939786-041f144b-da8a-48ec-903b-ab8982905f0e.jpeg)

![images.jpeg](/assets/uploads/files/1596897701593-images.jpeg)

Back