Dogs🤗
Roosters😣
Panthers😦
Manly🤗
South🤗
Storm😦
Parra😦
3 more wins

@avocadoontoast said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199639) said:
@hobbo1 said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199636) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199628) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199606) said:
What about Brooks

Koepka ....champion golfer

Brooks was terrible

7 or 6 he’s rubbish
He’s so robotic and has no rhythm or feel for the game

He’s gone backwards under Madge (as has every back).

Funny you mention that. He was average under Taylor, looks average under Madge but seemed to look a lot better under Ivan. 2 of those coaches seem to have fairly similar attacking structures, and they are not based on attractive attacking football.

@old_man_tiger said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199861) said:
@Lauren said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199848) said:
@Spacecub said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199732) said:
I'm not blaming any of the players, Maguire has stuffed this side, it's clear he's lost the dressing room....its time for him to go...Newcastle were like this last year,they made the decision to punt Brownie after he was in the same position...Maguire has to go

I just feel Madge is more structured and methodical in his coaching.
Don't think there's anything wrong in that itself except the game has moved onto what would have been perfect for 2005-2012 WT team, and that we require as much emphasis on our attack.
He's been a great coach for our defence but due to our young inexperienced squad there needs to be someone on hand who understands the modern game, to help us incorporate a more variable style of game.

Tonight's game sucked but don't think it's enough to call for his head.
Realistically we needed a complete overhaul and we simply need to tinker with our defensive and attacking structures. Unfortunately for fans, having a team like ours means it's gonna take some time to steady the ship.

Lauren I hear you and agree he would have been great for us earlier.
On the other hand, defence is the cornerstone of nearly every good team.
Apart from us in 05 and the odd flash in the pan from parra or the warriors the examples of teams relying on attack and getting to the GF are very rare.

Oh I agree about the importance of defence and am not discrediting it, if you ask me I think they're equally significant.
However was highlighting how teams such as Roosters(since Cronk went there) and the Storm(this year) have moved away from this structured style and this itself has accentuated that the game is evolving - into a more flowing or touch footy style. It's why the Panthers are excelling in the current game.

Teams lose, sometimes badly like tonight. Not the end of the world. Will still be there supporting whomever runs out in our jersey in all our remaining games.

@Curaeus said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199921) said:
Teams lose, sometimes badly like tonight. Not the end of the world. Will still be there supporting whomever runs out in our jersey in all our remaining games.

Yep 100% will be there next week, already have my tickets and a beer lined up before the game. That is if you are still coming @Tiger_Steve ?

@cochise said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199798) said:
@JoshColeman99 said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199783) said:
@cochise said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199780) said:
@JoshColeman99 said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199765) said:
@cochise said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199737) said:
@JoshColeman99 said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199721) said:
@cochise said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199708) said:
@JoshColeman99 said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199695) said:
@cochise said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199682) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199639) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199628) said:
What about Brooks

Brooks was terrible

7 or 6 he’s rubbish

100%, not one back has improved outside of Nofa

Talau has been really good. Leilua is brand new, we’ve had two debutants on the wing along with Jennings who’s woeful and Corey was just as good as last year on the wing. Doueihi has been solid too. Not a very fair comments

I think it is, Doueihi has got worse as the season progressed, Talau has been ok but its his 1st year, BJ has not had the same impact for us, Mbye speaks for itself, Benji is not getting any better, Brooks is a shadow of the player he was, Reynold's game is not improving. I'm not suggesting we sack him, but there are things to be concerned about as I stated last week.

Doueihi has been injured and has still been quite solid. Been less involved when our forwards have been getting rolled which is a lot lately, we’ve won 1 out of our last 5 don’t forget hard for anyone to look good. BJ went from a grand final team to us of course he won’t look as good. Benji has played a year too long, Brooks is the big one that I’m questioning. Don’t think you can blame the coach besides Brooks, but he was great last year under Madge as well so who knows

To be honest, I don't really see anything that much different from Doueihi to what I saw at Souths, Mbye has dropped away enormously as well. I'm not arguing against Madge, just concerned about the lack of improvement in our skill players.

Mbye was never that good in the first place. I would argue he played just as good at bulldogs. Our forwards have improved a lot but it’s clear we need to sign some new halves and give Mbye the boot.

I agree our forwards have improved, Lucy is playing great football. I just feel Madge is a better coach of forwards than backs.

You’re probably right in that regard. He’s always done well with the forwards

I'd like to see us find him an attack orientated assistant, something like what the Panthers have done with Barrett. I don't know who but feel that would assist us greatly moving forward.

I like to see decent assistants. I don't think a defence orientated one would go amiss after a couple of the performances this year. I would be looking at Dean Pay. He may not be a 1st grade coach, but has a good records at the clubs he was an assistant at prior to that.

@cochise said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199931) said:

Yep 100% will be there next week, already have my tickets and a beer lined up before the game. That is if you are still coming @Tiger_Steve ?

I live outside Sydney and probably wouldn't be there anyway with all the Covid 19 restrictions but I'll be following the game for sure. Hopefully we can still win a few games in what's left of this year.

@avocadoontoast said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199844) said:
@Sco77y said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199812) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199750) said:
@cochise said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199745) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199743) said:
What about Brooks

Brooks was terrible

7 or 6 he’s rubbish

Talau has been really good. Leilua is brand new, we’ve had two debutants on the wing along with Jennings who’s woeful and Corey was just as good as last year on the wing. Doueihi has been solid too. Not a very fair comments

I think it is, Doueihi has got worse as the season progressed, Talau has been ok but its his 1st year, BJ has not had the same impact for us, Mbye speaks for itself, Benji is not getting any better, Brooks is a shadow of the player he was, Reynold's game is not improving. I'm not suggesting we sack him, but there are things to be concerned about as I stated last week.

Doueihi has been injured and has still been quite solid. Been less involved when our forwards have been getting rolled which is a lot lately, we’ve won 1 out of our last 5 don’t forget hard for anyone to look good. BJ went from a grand final team to us of course he won’t look as good. Benji has played a year too long, Brooks is the big one that I’m questioning. Don’t think you can blame the coach besides Brooks, but he was great last year under Madge as well so who knows

You are really clutching at straws. Madge is not doing a good job, it’s as simple as that.

I have concerns, but I think it would be a mistake to get rid of him now. We do need some stability on the coaching front.

I don’t think it would make a difference mate. We’re regressing under him. It hasn’t worked.

So what coach is going to get this club going? We’ve already burned through about 5 in as many years.. Can we keep blaming the coach every time we suck? Half of our squad is talentless. Any coach is going to need a steady period to iron out this mess.

No idea. But what is fact is that this years team is more his team than last years, and we’re worse.

I think the team on paper still suck, but I agree to some extent; even average players can be taught a system and to execute basics. Look at how may average players have thrived under Bellamy or Bennett. In fact, take any Bellamy or Bennett team: they play boring and predictable rugby league ... but it wins.

This is a **simple game dictated by defence and getting basics right**. I'm going to defend Madge here. **I think he gets the "basics" premise** but I just think the team he has sucks a lot, more than even we think. e.g. it is some sort of bad team when you **can't** afford to drop some of the players on our team.

@cochise said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199931) said:

Haha! I’ll be there as always. Might need to bring a swear jar but pre game beers are on and tickets secured!
Can’t guarantee I’ll still be there for 2nd half though?

@cochise said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199798) said:
@JoshColeman99 said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199783) said:
@cochise said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199780) said:
@JoshColeman99 said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199765) said:
@cochise said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199737) said:
What about Brooks

Brooks was terrible

7 or 6 he’s rubbish

To be honest, I don't really see anything that much different from Doueihi to what I saw at Souths, Mbye has dropped away enormously as well. I'm not arguing against Madge, just concerned about the lack of improvement in our skill players.

Mbye was never that good in the first place. I would argue he played just as good at bulldogs. Our forwards have improved a lot but it’s clear we need to sign some new halves and give Mbye the boot.

I agree our forwards have improved, Lucy is playing great football. I just feel Madge is a better coach of forwards than backs.

You’re probably right in that regard. He’s always done well with the forwards

I'd like to see us find him an attack orientated assistant, something like what the Panthers have done with Barrett. I don't know who but feel that would assist us greatly moving forward.

I like to see decent assistants. I don't think a defence orientated one would go amiss after a couple of the performances this year. I would be looking at Dean Pay. He may not be a 1st grade coach, but has a good records at the clubs he was an assistant at prior to that.

@bigsiro said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199960) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199844) said:
@Sco77y said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199812) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199750) said:
@cochise said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199745) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199743) said:
What about Brooks

Brooks was terrible

7 or 6 he’s rubbish

You are really clutching at straws. Madge is not doing a good job, it’s as simple as that.

I have concerns, but I think it would be a mistake to get rid of him now. We do need some stability on the coaching front.

I don’t think it would make a difference mate. We’re regressing under him. It hasn’t worked.

So what coach is going to get this club going? We’ve already burned through about 5 in as many years.. Can we keep blaming the coach every time we suck? Half of our squad is talentless. Any coach is going to need a steady period to iron out this mess.

No idea. But what is fact is that this years team is more his team than last years, and we’re worse.

I think the team on paper still suck, but I agree to some extent; even average players can be taught a system and to execute basics. Look at how may average players have thrived under Bellamy or Bennett. In fact, take any Bellamy or Bennett team: they play boring and predictable rugby league ... but it wins.

This is a **simple game dictated by defence and getting basics right**. I'm going to defend Madge here. **I think he gets the "basics" premise** but I just think the team he has sucks a lot, more than even we think. e.g. it is some sort of bad team when you **can't** afford to drop some of the players on our team.

I think that the success of these simple gameplans relies on the effort and commitment of the players carrying them out. We lack that.

It also comes of the back of a couple of very good players steering the team around. We also lack those.

@hugh1954 said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199896) said:
Dogs🤗
Roosters😣
Panthers😦
Manly🤗
South🤗
Storm😦
Parra😦
3 more wins

Dreaming

@Lauren said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1199942) said:
I obviously don’t have any coaching credentials or expertise so can’t offer one solution sorry @jirskyr. But the one piece advice I will offer - due to watching a dismal Broncos team - is that if something isn’t working or stinks, it needs changing.

I'm not having a go at you by any means, I think your comments were more or less valid. What I am saying is I don't know what the coach is supposed to do next.

For example your comment, "if something isn't working, it needs changing". I agree, but I don't think anyone can genuinely say Madge hasn't mixed up his rosters in 2020 - arguably more than any Tigers coach I can recall. He's dropped both his halves, he worked out tactical mid-year transfers for a hooker (Grant) and a winger (Kepaoa). He's promoted and demoted forwards, rested some players, moved some others around (like Mbye and Walters). Sometimes his hand has been forced by injury or suspension. But fundamentally Madge only has 30 guys to choose from and the 13 who aren't playing in first grade don't have consistent reserves games in 2020 to keep themselves in some kind of form.

Even to the point this week that Brad Fittler, who is often a moron so take his opinion lightly, but Fittler made comment that Madge potentially shuffles his roster TOO much.

We still don’t know our best team.
He’s named a captain who is the least inspiring team member.
Is yet to install any game plans that correct any of our issues.
Has made poor team and interchange selections all year.
Doesn’t hold all players accountable.

So when it comes to your suggestions that I quoted, they aren't invalid. But when I dig down into them, with the mindset of agreeing with you to some extent, I ask myself what the coach would do differently to address your concerns. And I'm not a coach either.

For example, "captain who is least inspiring". I don't know if this is true, I'm not on the field and I don't know Moses Mbye. But if the team is so weak-minded that (c) makes a difference, if it's Mbye or Benji or the new guy, then I fear that it's the least of our worries who the captain is. Everyone has a voice, everyone can talk, everyone can lead by example. When there's an error, they can all defend and work hard on their line speed, and the captain shouldn't matter.

When it comes to selections, interchange and accountability, again he's only got a certain # of players to work with. It may simply be the roster just isn't that good, and as biased fans we look for positives in the roster, rose-coloured glasses-style, where perhaps they barely exist. Maybe Luke Garner is a promising young kid with some running game and decent front-on defence, or maybe he's just an inconsistent battler who sometimes plays alright.

And personally I think Maguire has some really good kids in the system, but they're all so green right now, it's hard to just throw them in and not expect some heartache. E.g. Kepaoa, I think there's real potential there, but simply on paper tonight he was poor and the errors were critical. Even still, I think it's a more astute plan long-term to buy a big young winger with footwork, because you can always work on skill and handling, than carrying a Corey Thompson for another few years, who is a really likeable bloke but we've seen his best and it's not top-tier. But it may be weeks, months or even years until we see the fruits of Maguire's 2019 and 2020 decisions.

Because it's interesting you mention the Broncos, who on paper aren't such a bad side. Seibold clearly did a good job in his short tenure with Souths and he impressed the Broncos enough to be hired. Broncos forwards pack is quite enviable in my opinion and there's some real quality in their roster, e.g. Fifita and Staggs. But right now, mid-COVID 2020 they are a horrible football side and I wouldn't have a clue how they rectify that in a hurry.

There are some things you just can't coach. The raw emotion displayed by Adam Doueihi came from a will to win and a fire in the belly. That's how you play eighty minutes and that's how you win games.

Love to be a fly on the wall if Marshall asks for an extension. If Maguire was dead set serious Marshall played his last career game tonight. Big fan but he was shit.

@Magpie1969 said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1200002) said:
Love to be a fly on the wall if Marshall asks for an extension. If Maguire was dead set serious Marshall played his last career game tonight. Big fan but he was shit.

It was definitely old-school Benji Marshall defence tonight. He "did a Doueihi" getting in front of Essay Essay and turning his back, but at least Dou brought Junior Paulo down, not like Benji who basically gave Ese a Jupiter-style gravity slingshot towards the line.

Let's face it if you got paid based on performance you'd see the majority of our squad lined up outside centrelink every Monday morning waiting for their dole cheque

Bunker call leaves NRL world baffled as Knights are awarded ‘double movement’ try
NRL PREMIERSHIP
August 8, 2020 7:15pm
Source: FOX SPORTS
Jacob Saifiti is awarded a try despite it clearly being a double movement.
Jacob Saifiti is awarded a try despite it clearly being a double movement.Source: FOX SPORTS
Newcastle forward Jacob Saifiti was awarded a controversial try right on half time in Saturday’s clash with the Tigers which had fans fuming.
Replays showed the 24-year-old’s four-pointer was a clear double movement as he grounded the ball before the line and then grounded it again on the line in his second attempt.

@jirskyr said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1200010) said:
@Magpie1969 said in [Knights V Tigers live game thread](/post/1200002) said:

It was definitely old-school Benji Marshall defence tonight. He "did a Doueihi" getting in front of Essay Essay and turning his back, but at least Dou brought Junior Paulo down, not like Benji who basically gave Ese a Jupiter-style gravity slingshot towards the line.

Jupiter II

Lost in space

Back