Lachlan Galvin #277

I find it funny that people think its perfectly ok to demand current international backrowers should be sacked or demoted, but get their panties scrunched when it is suggested that the kid needs a rest also.
Lachie has surprised the hell out of me this year. I called his selection in round 2 retarded and even though he held his own and did not look out of place, he also took a bath from Strange and his side was flogged. I felt a bit vindicated but bit my tongue and watched him put two good games together the following weeks. His composure and defence have been great. His energy levels and involvement have been great. His kicking and decision making have been good, his errors very low. His is clearly a very good football player and someone we must keep.

HOWEVER, he has to be judged - not as an 18 year old rookie, but as a first grade 5/8th. This isnt the make a wish foundation, it is top level football in the most elite version of itself in the whole world. We are 2 & 6 with him at 5/8. He is running the worst attack in the competition. You can make every excuse under the sun, but at the end of the day, he is in a position that pays big money because it has huge responsibility. He will command big money one day im sure as he is very good, but I suspect it wont be as a 6. Not at this level.

He is at risk of having a stunted development or burning out. A couple of weeks back in Flegg to recharge will do him the world of good. This season is done and so we need to start organising who plays with Luai next year and what we do with the others. He has had a good introduction and great audition. I want to see some others after our bye round so we can make informed decisions based on them.
Give Latu a few games at 5/8

Knew it wouldn’t be long before Galvin copped it.

The guy is 18 and our go to player along with Bula. That says it all really.

How about surrounding our better players with actual first graders? Maybe that might help?
We’re the only club whose supporters get stuck into our good players more than our shit ones!!

The thing is both possible halves are injured. Not saying he should be dropped as I haven’t watched all games this year (so I’m saner than most 😂) but just can’t see an alternative
The curse of tigers first grade

No one is laying the boot into him.
He has to be managed. I see no evidence this is happening correctly.
Plenty are laying the boot into him. It's a case of extreme opinions. It's either he's the 'saviour' or he's a massive letdown. Seen this so many times by journos, not surprising some fans are adopting that same blissful then defeatist mentality

Tough gig this game.

He is still learning, took a few wrong options but so did Api and Bud. He will hopefully learn from it, also don’t think he should be dropped He needs game time.

Doesn’t help that we keep losing players to the bin and are constantly on the back foot. Can’t build momentum and sustained pressure by giving the opposition cheap penalties. It’s a team sport and some of our players are doing dumb shit. The team is attempting to defend their ass off as players are in the bin, we concede points and then have to chase the points, while under mental fatigue.

Love watching Galvin play. I wouldn't drop him.

It's really hard playing on the back foot all the time and you can see the mix ups and confusion out there. I suppose he's partly responsible for that, but it'd be crazy to drop him when he's one of our best and we have no one to replace him at all.

I think there's some really good progress happening amid the rough patches and he looks particularly threatening out wide.

Error rate very low, sound defensively, solid fundamentals. He's going good.

Think @Tucker makes excellent points about him and maybe ideally he has someone to learn behind, but with our first grade squad it's better he try to figure it out himself rather than watching Muppets having a go. How disheartening would it be to be dropped and have to watch trash play while you're stuck on an average lower grade side. You could try explaining it to him all you like, but it would just feel like disappointment because there's just no justification for dropping him.

I still see him as a wide player. Centre or second row. His defence is strong, effort is good. He has skills.

He could be what Schuster was supposed to be.

It's easy to compare him to a former Tiger in Liam Fulton.

But I reckon he's a Gavin Miller type of player.

That said- he's held up at 5/8 admirably in a struggling team.

I believe Latu Fainu is our 5/8 going forward however- a running organiser. Next to Luai, this is our best combination IMO.

If Galvin was to be tutored by Bateman....

Just my opinion BUT Lachie is going good for a ROOKIE 5/8 in the top NRL side,however,what happens when things get worse than what they are and we rely on him to get us out of trouble ?
He has no real idea of how to organise or get points on the board YET,as Tucker and others have said he needs to be managed..the KID will be tortured by the hardnosed NRL vets that have been in the game for years NOT 7/8 games..
Lachie is a developing NRL standout,if he isnt managed he will be burnt out and uninterested by seasons end ...
The old saying "if old enough,good enough"was a saying years ago in the community footy park,this is NRL the toughest comp in the world ...manage him,develop him and you will have a superstar for the next 10 years...

ps....Matt Groat...smashed by JWH and never recovered...I dont want that for Lachie...maybe Im to sensitive to see kids get mauled by boneheads...

Last edited:
The kid is all effort and is trying issue is other players are dominating his options & it’s clear our attack training has been virtually non existent.

The amount of times during the game you see him get frustrated with players around him indicates a coaching & personnel issue.

Api is over playing his hand with forward movement and Galvin often is just parked. He looks alot better when he roves which is why I think overtime he would make an excellent lock.

We also haven’t seen Galvin/Bula, Galvin/Olam or Galvin/Fainu link play last few weeks which is strange as when they put the move on it is effective.

I have no issues him playing 1st he is miles above what other options we have, my main concern is losing like winning becomes a habit and with some of the halfwits around him on the park it could impact his positive development.

Love watching Galvin play. I wouldn't drop him.

It's really hard playing on the back foot all the time and you can see the mix ups and confusion out there. I suppose he's partly responsible for that, but it'd be crazy to drop him when he's one of our best and we have no one to replace him at all.

I think there's some really good progress happening amid the rough patches and he looks particularly threatening out wide.

Error rate very low, sound defensively, solid fundamentals. He's going good.

Think @Tucker makes excellent points about him and maybe ideally he has someone to learn behind, but with our first grade squad it's better he try to figure it out himself rather than watching Muppets having a go. How disheartening would it be to be dropped and have to watch trash play while you're stuck on an average lower grade side. You could try explaining it to him all you like, but it would just feel like disappointment because there's just no justification for dropping him.
I think Galvin should keep his spot for now as he’s not doing anything wrong. Just don’t think he has the speed to make it as a 5/8. He has had plenty of opportunity on the front foot, we are getting into their red zone repeatedly, yet he doesn’t take those opportunities! Teams have worked him out, don’t fall for the dummy and slide and you’ll cut him off. Watch the games and you will see what I am talking about. Look at the raiders 5/8 same age debuted at the same time, yet fast and bends the line. Hope I am wrong but I think he’s more a back rower, lock or slower centre.

Now that Sheensy is coach of the best school team in the country, we should see a few Galvins coming out of Westfield Sports.
The question is..where will they go?

I still see him as a wide player. Centre or second row. His defence is strong, effort is good. He has skills.

He could be what Schuster was supposed to be.

It's easy to compare him to a former Tiger in Liam Fulton.

But I reckon he's a Gavin Miller type of player.

That said- he's held up at 5/8 admirably in a struggling team.

I believe Latu Fainu is our 5/8 going forward however- a running organiser. Next to Luai, this is our best combination IMO.

If Galvin was to be tutored by Bateman....
I agree, if he was to move to the forwards I think edge back row much better suits his skills rather than a middle forward.

There is also having the players around him that have to learn how he plays, on the weekend at one point he was running around in the attacking 20 and Sullivan actually ran on to a beautiful ball from Galvin (close to scoring)
Hoping he , Sam Fainu and Olam will gel the more games they play together on the left side.

Back