Lack of edge forwards

fergiefurr

I know that our attack frustrated everyone today and to me this is one of the biggest reasons why. In Lovett and Halatau we had two of the most ineffective edge forwards in the entire NRL. Neither are going to cause the defence any line break issues.

The halves knew this which forced them to go a lot more side ways as there wasn't a direct hard running threat to allow them to straighten the attack. In turn this played right into parras online sliding defence that lapped it up all arvo.

In round 1 our first two tries were from sironen and Lawrence running hard straight lines off the halves. This then compressed the Warriors defence which allowed us to throw it wide later and cause havoc.

Again this comes back to poor team selection by Taylor. Both Dene and Kyle are good guys who give their all but neither would make 11 or 12 in any other NRL team. Having Aloiai start the game there was a good move but to see him only play 20 mins then not go back there was very frustrating. We get Lawrence back next week which will help but our attack simply can't afford to have these guys plodding up our edges again.

I thought Lovett was good today. It's the first time I've seen him be effective. I do think we need to be playing better players though. The team selected wasn't bad but it could have been better with someone there other Buchanan and it's probably a good idea to play 2 hookers not 3.

Good point fergiefurr forwards able to penetrate on the edges sadly lacking today amongst other things, whilst the two blokes you refer to try, they don't have the spark especially in attack. In some ways we were lucky to only be beaten by 8.

Lovett was good today; tackled his heart out, ran hard and deserves a spot in firsts albeit from the bench, not as a starter. The notion that he isn't a first grader is nonsense, he will only get better.

Nailed it.

Were doing all these sweep plays because we lack punch on the edges.

Its making us predictable.

Sirro and Lawrence are not the best players int he world however they are a threat and can really run a hole.

@fergiefurr said:
I know that our attack frustrated everyone today and to me this is one of the biggest reasons why. In Lovett and Halatau we had two of the most ineffective edge forwards in the entire NRL. Neither are going to cause the defence any line break issues.

The halves knew this which forced them to go a lot more side ways as there wasn't a direct hard running threat to allow them to straighten the attack. In turn this played right into parras online sliding defence that lapped it up all arvo.

In round 1 our first two tries were from sironen and Lawrence running hard straight lines off the halves. This then compressed the Warriors defence which allowed us to throw it wide later and cause havoc.

Again this comes back to poor team selection by Taylor. Both Dene and Kyle are good guys who give their all but neither would make 11 or 12 in any other NRL team. Having Aloiai start the game there was a good move but to see him only play 20 mins then not go back there was very frustrating. We get Lawrence back next week which will help but our attack simply can't afford to have these guys plodding up our edges again.

Yep its a big problem, particularly close to the opposition line. We have zero penetration meaning sides can slide inside out without fearing us having a big backrower running against the grain.

@sideline eye said:
Lovett was good today; tackled his heart out, ran hard and deserves a spot in firsts albeit from the bench, not as a starter. The notion that he isn't a first grader is nonsense, he will only get better.

That's the thing, if we want to be a top 8 team we need better players then him consistently in our team. I agree Lovetts ok, he much better then last year but can you imagine what a dogs or Broncos pack will do to us if we have Lovett and Halatau as our edge forwards? It would be similar to what happened to souths on Friday.

When the best thing you can say about a guy is that 'he tackled his heart out' you know deep down he isn't up to it.

Lovett and Halatau hardly have any alarm bells ringing for opposition defences. They know they can be handled quite easily one on one. It's amazing that when our two front line edge players are out, we are relying on these two. Halatau has had his day, not an 80min player anymore. Lovett can tackle all he wants, but we need some mongrel out wide. Teddy was contained so easily today because their defence didn't even worry so much about our 11 and 12.

Well, Lovett certainly wasn't dominated by Parra's much vaunted back row, so I doubt that the Dogs or Broncos would dominate him either but I agree we need Lawrence and Sironen out there starting. As for Lovett tackling his heart out, I'm more than happy to be able to say that after our last couple of seasons and I say again, in my opinion he is up to first grade standard.

@sideline eye said:
Well, Lovett certainly wasn't dominated by Parra's much vaunted back row, so I doubt that the Dogs or Broncos would dominate him either but I agree we need Lawrence and Sironen out there starting. As for Lovett tackling his heart out, I'm more than happy to be able to say that after our last couple of seasons and I say again, in my opinion he is up to first grade standard.

Playing ok once or twice in a season doesn't make a first grade forward. It's been said hereoften that Lovett wouldn't make any other first grade side in the NRL.and I think that's true.Might be a nice bloke and all that. But if we don't have a better player than him to put into first grade, then we have a big problem in the team.

There was a lot of talk early that we had good depth this year. Well unless there is some in the group that Taylor doesn't seem too want to pick, then that talk is way off. That

I just don't think Lovett is an edge player. He's solid enough in the middle, and I'd only consider him playing there.

We have to recruit. I said it a while ago I would be getting the cheque book out for Ethan Lowe from the Cowboys who is a former Roosters junior.

I agree with OP totally. Problem is we are missing our two first choice backrowers, which any club struggles to cover.

Look at Friday's game. Take out Lowe + Cooper and Cowboys have to put in Bolton and Asiata. Take out Glenn + Gillett and Broncs have Ofahengaue and Thaiday.

I just wish he'd give MCK a run, so at least we can see the guy play and not die wondering.

Back