Laurie steps in for Tigers

G

Laurie steps in for Tigers
By Josh Massoud From: The Daily Telegraph August 26, 2009 12:01AM

JUST weeks after falling out with team management, dreadlocked wrecking ball Daine Laurie is back in the frame to rescue Wests Tigers' injury-ravaged finals hopes.

With Chris Heighington (knee), John Skandalis (leg) and Keith Galloway (hand) all in doubt for Saturday's must-win trip to the Gold Coast, an enthusiastic Laurie ripped into training at Concord yesterday.

The Tigers could also be without prop Bryce Gibbs, who will risk a three-match suspension when he contests the grading of a dangerous contact charge tonight.

Laurie was dropped 10 weeks ago after missing training in the wake of a family tragedy that saw him leave Sydney. But the 25-year-old did enough to earn himself a place on stand-by for Skandalis prior to last week's clash against the Eels.

Tigers coach Tim Sheens yesterday bemoaned the team's awful injury toll, which has also claimed wingers Taniela Tuiaki (broken leg) and Beau Ryan (knee) for the season.

I hope we don't need him. All reports are he has been terrible in the lower grades.

@mikey said:
I hope we don't need him. All reports are he has been terrible in the lower grades.

Incorrect. He has not been playing terrible.

He played well against Newtown a couple of weeks ago (easily the most damaging forward on the field) and he got voted one of the top 3 on the field against the Bears on the weekend.

Hopefully the stint in the lower grade has taught him something if he is indeed called upon.

Really hope he isn't needed. I lose confidence every time he takes the field and end up waiting for the ref to blow his whistle and give away posession.

We're as good as gone imo…..this could be a good move, give him one or two last tastes of first grade before the off season, might see him pull his finger out over summer

IF Laurie is called up for this one he should be well and trulley up for it with so much of the season spent in the lower grade. If he has learnt his leson he should have had enough time to work on his defence, and we will surely need his aggression against this highly skilled mob Bailey, Friend, Mini and co. Good luck big fella stand up and give us something special.

Laurie is still very inconsistent. He may have a shocker but he may have an absolute blinder. Fingers crossed for the latter… :pray:

I rekon he should be there regardless.We need his aggression even if it's only for 30mins of the game

Given the injuries among the forwards, I'm happy to see him coming off the bench given the lack of size in the current bench named.

about time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he will add some starch. want see him next week against the bulldogs as well, then st.george after that in the first semi.

Wests need the big unit to pull out a performance and a half against the Gold Coast. If Laurie can replicate his form against the Warriors and Parramatta this season, where he was at his damaging, aggressive and enthusiastic bet, then Daine's inclusion will be a tremendous boost for the Tigers. A stint in Reserve Grade allows a player to whige, sulk, reflect and bust their gut to get another opportunity. I'm sure Laurie if given the chance, will be doing everything possible to ensure he doesn't disappoint. Make the most of your opportunity brother. Your team mates need you now more than ever… :pray:

Well ummm lets see how he goes ,Hopefully we can beat the Tightbums and then the Dogs
then i'm hoping Gallant will be back fingers crossed.. :pray:

Hopefully we will see Laurie wanting to prove Sheens and coaching staff wrong. He has made some mistakes now lets see if he can make up for those. His defense will need to be tight and strong especially against Scotty Prince and Preston Campbell. Lets hope he has a blinder!

i hope he is so keen after not playing first grade for a while that he will have a blinder. here is hoping

The last First Grade game Laurie played was the best first grade game he played, and he hasn't been seen since.

Back