Laurie - What't the Fuss?

Geez there is some seriously bad judges of footballers on this forum. Anybody who thinks that Daine has been up to State Cup level let alone First Grade level this year needs their head read. Plenty of potential there no doubt but he has made no metres and has been a liability in defence. The effort has been there but not the execution. We have a lot better current forward options at the club.

@southerntiger said:
Geez there is some seriously bad judges of footballers on this forum. Anybody who thinks that Daine has been up to State Cup level let alone First Grade level this year needs their head read. Plenty of potential there no doubt but he has made no metres and has been a liability in defence. The effort has been there but not the execution. We have a lot better current forward options at the club.

Against the warriors he made a big impact.

Not many forwards can do that. Yeah he isn't Gareth Ellis but he can play when he gets it right.

Didn't we lose to zero against the Warriors though?

Easy to stand out for a good game in an underperforming side.

Harder to get your game right so it doesn't mess up a well performing side.

Just watched the Magpies V Bulls game again on Fox…

Laurie went well for the majority of the game played good minutes...some good offloads and pretty good go forward but defensively he was all over the shop at times he went missing a bit....I think he is back there to work hard on that part of his game something I believe we can't afford having him do in First Grade at this stage of the season....Surely by now the kid can retreat backwards into the defense line ...the Bulls didn't exploit it as they should have...pretty sure Manly would...

Laurie will get another shot ...hopefully this stint in State Cup will make him more hungry to prove he's got what it takes....definately worth persisting with....

IMO big Laurie holds the key to his own future. If he puts in big time over the off season he could be anything next year, he could also fade off the scene as quickly as he arrived. Clubs dont have the luxury anymore of carrying to many players with the tag "could be's" theirs just not the space in the cap. The marketing people would love to have him all guns firing but at present the no frills players are getting the job done

I think he is well over-rated by many, looks completely lost in back play positionally and gives away far too many penalties. Something just hasn't clicked there yet and I would be leaving him out of the side while we are still a possibility of making the eight, just not worth the risk while the negatives outweigh the positives.

But personally I wouldn't be giving up on him, he could be anything if he can understand the subtleties of the game a little better.

Big impact,but high error rate(dropped ball,penalties conceeded,positioning in defence & missed tackles)make him a liability.Takes pressure off oppostion too often.
Clearly coach Sheens is unable to rectify,& unless something changes Laurie may disappear without trace as early as end September.
Wld be a shame,as apart from his potential, youve gotta admire his dedication to pursue his new "career"
maybe Brian Smith wld be the ideal mentor..?

Those people who go to the games (and I don't see them all) would be better aware of Laurie's lack of positioning in defense as often that isn't picked up by the cameras. Someone mentioned the number of opposition players he attracts when running the ball. Our best player that draws defensive swarms is TNT. I hope Laurie can develop his defensive skills in reggies. From what I've seen Dwyer's brief defensive efforts have been impressive and I wouldn't mind him being on the bench and increasing game time.

@smeghead said:

I know what your saying but he was one of the only players to stand up. Not many players have that ability.

I hope he can get the other stuff right but we'll see. I know he can make an impact.

**Clubs chase Laurie as Tigers stand him down from firsts**
Josh Rakic | August 2, 2009 - Sun Herald

WESTS TIGERS cult figure Daine Laurie is considering seeking a release from the final year of his contract after being constantly overlooked for NRL selection.

As many as six clubs are believed to have expressed interest in the potentially devastating prop, who turns 25 today, including Wayne Bennett’s Dragons, who have lost Justin Poore to the Eels next season.

Laurie has played just 10 of a possible 18 matches this year and is unlikely to return to the NRL within the next four weeks after being sanctioned for failing to show up to a training session last month.

Laurie’s manager, Chris Haddad, met with coach Tim Sheens on Friday where it’s understood he requested an upgrade of Laurie’s bottom-tier, $45,000-a-year contract to remain. But a source close to the Tigers’ camp said the club was reluctant to do so because he’s yet to prove himself as a regular first-grader.

The Tigers have said they want to develop him into a back-rower next season, but a source close to Laurie said he was disappointed by the club’s stance and was considering asking for a release in coming weeks.

When contacted by The Sun-Herald, Laurie said he was a ‘‘frustrated’’ spectator but declined to comment on his contract situation. ‘‘Tim said Daine definitely has a future at the club and that he wants to keep him, but he wants him to play NSW Cup to learn how to play second row,’’ Haddad said.

‘‘Daine’s happy at the club but he wants to be playing first grade on a regular basis. He considers himself NRL standard. There are quite a few clubs interested in him but we’ll hold talks with the Tigers again in a few weeks before we look in to that.’’

Laurie is believed to be excited at the prospect of being coached by Bennett after seeing how he transformed Michael Weyman from a fringe first-grader into a State of Origin star in the space of an off-season.

Laurie was expected to return for tomorrow night’s clash with the Sea Eagles after being dropped for the past fortnight for failing to show to a training session last month.

Laurie is believed to have texted Toyota Cup coach Peter Gentle to explain he was staying at home, sick, rather than fronting training or calling Sheens, leading Tigers officials to believe he may have been hungover after players were given the all clear to have a rare drink on the Sunday.

He was then allegedly told he’d be stood down for the remainder of the season if he didn’t produce a doctor’s certificate – which he did – leading to discussions between his manager and the club.

The club did well to keep this issue in-house for a few weeks.

It is a shame this issue with Daine is being played out in the media.

It is not good for the club that this drama is made public but that's the media for you. They focus on any negative gossip they can find.

"Crapagraph" you''ve done it again.

@dimitri said:

It is not good for the club that this drama is made public but that's the media for you. They focus on any negative gossip they can find.

You can't blame the telemthe blame it appears lies with the man himself.

They use the phrase "a source close to…" like justification for rumour.

who cares about his attitude if he's firing up in matches (WHEN IT COUNTS!!) he's the only one that shows a bit of mongrel from our side.
he should be playing first grade every week, even if he's had liabilities in defence.
its not as if we haven't persisted with players before that weren't up to first grade standard, so why stop now when we got someone decent???
half the problem is that when he plays first grade, hes the token decoy runner.
if we don't re-sign him, we are nuts.

Re: Laurie - What't the Fuss?
by dimitri » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 11:31 am
>
>
>
>

If the club wanted it kept quiet, it would have been kept quiet. 99% of what appears in the media is orchestrated and planned to within an inch of it's life by the club - timing,content,the lot!
Think about the last 5 weeks - feature articles on Ayshford (Collis goes to Sharks),article on Gallant joining the police (just as he hits his stride and it's negotiation time), Wing leaves Souths (Halatau "injured" and out indefinatly),Sheens talks to the media about team selections and positional plays working (just as a 2009 evaluation is announced), Daine Laurie's absence from first grade explained (as he has talks with other clubs).
The clowns at the Telegraph are just the messengers…

@mtd said:
who cares about his attitude if he's firing up in matches (WHEN IT COUNTS!!) he's the only one that shows a bit of mongrel from our side.
he should be playing first grade every week, even if he's had liabilities in defence.
its not as if we haven't persisted with players before that weren't up to first grade standard, so why stop now when we got someone decent???

Laurie plays tonight and we lose IMO. He is a liability in defence and his attack is not what it has been.

We don't have to re-sign him. He is contracted for next year. The guy just wants more cash which he hasn't earnt by his performances as yet

@mtd said:

i dont believe he is the only one to show mongel, farrah and gallant come to mind and the whole team has stepped up in this regard of late.
whilst laurie did bring that mongrel earlier in the season when perhaps it was missing from many other in the team, i dont think he is the type of player who is gonna win us games in the run into the finals. teams are starting to play semi finals footy now and i believe he will be a liability in these types of games atm.
Dont get me wrong, i want us to keep him but i want him to show some development before his a regular in 1sts. i dont think he has realyy developed since his debut.

@smeghead said:

Exactly. Kinda like the Ashes at the moment. Hilfenhaus wicket wise is taking the most wickets, but he's still getting carted in between, it just so happens the other two clowns bowling are going even worse. Doesn't mean Hilfenhaus is good, just means the others suck.

Lol i hear what your saying mate.

Our bowling has been shocking for 4 series now with our batting not much better.

@Don Brodga said:
In theory you're correct. But when you have a player who is more likely to give away a dumb penalty or drop the ball than he is to make a bust or even a good hit, you can't risk playing them.

We keep selecting Gibbs, don't we?

Sorry for a bit of a bump as I'm looking for a particular post on Laurie that is eluding me.

Staff online

Back