Laurie - What't the Fuss?

tigergirlz

Have read through posts complaining that our forward pack are missing the big man, and also note an equal number of "who cares" comments.
I was very excitied when he thundered onto the park early on, but have been less than impressed over the last couple of months. I don't think he has earned a FG starting or bench position, and am beginning to think he will disappear into the big black hole of players who almost were but didn't really make it.
Does he really have what it takes?

Hopefully I can get down to Campbelltown and see whether he is putting in for Wests on Saturday.

I think he has the potential and he has the size but probably not the fitness or dedication you need to make it in first grade on a regular basis.

Daine hasn't really progressed this season which has been frustrating. He comes up with a decent run or a decent hit here and there but the mistakes and poor positional defensive play is still there. Hopefully a full off season will help him, but if he doesn't kick on next year he might be in a bit of trouble.

Assuming he keeps his personal life OK I think he will still go on to be a successful first grader. This year he has been less impressive than last but there have been a few things which have weighed him down. I reckon his confidence may also have taken a big knock from that dropped ball in the Melbourne game. Having said all that, I am yet to see a first grade game where he has not put in what I consider to be a big effort. And to be frank, I am a bit surprised he is not lining up in first grade next Monday night because we could sure use someone with his size and aggression - those Manly forwards look a bit scary.

@PYMBLEPETE said:
Assuming he keeps his personal life OK I think he will still go on to be a successful first grader. This year he has been less impressive than last but there have been a few things which have weighed him down. I reckon his confidence may also have taken a big knock from that dropped ball in the Melbourne game. Having said all that, I am yet to see a first grade game where he has not put in what I consider to be a big effort. And to be frank, I am a bit surprised he is not lining up in first grade next Monday night because we could sure use someone with his size and aggression - those Manly forwards look a bit scary.

In theory you're correct. But when you have a player who is more likely to give away a dumb penalty or drop the ball than he is to make a bust or even a good hit, you can't risk playing them.

@innsaneink said:
All forwards give away penaltys and drop balls…he is well worth perservering with.

Yeah spot on… and past that he has more go forward than all of our forwards combined!! Forces the loose ball and manages a strip frequently. One thing a lot people forget is that the bloke attracts 3 or 4 worried defenders everytime he's near the ball...

i hope his a late inclusion monday.

he certainly distracts the opposition forwards.

Maybe he was thrown into FG too early and now has a big head and expects to be in the top 17 each week based on his size and reputation rather than form? Then when he's asked to perform in the lower grades he's now feeling the pressure of what it is to be a professional first grader.

@Kaiser said:
@innsaneink said:
All forwards give away penaltys and drop balls…he is well worth perservering with.

Yeah spot on… and past that he has more go forward than all of our forwards combined!! Forces the loose ball and manages a strip frequently. One thing a lot people forget is that the bloke attracts 3 or 4 worried defenders everytime he's near the ball...

Agreed,I havent given up on him.

IMO lauries attitude is great, when ever he makes a mistake he never drops his bundle he tries to make up for it and that was very evident in the storm game where he forced 3 errors.

Impact and 20-30 min is his game at the moment, to be honest Dwyer is a wasted bench spot he is only being used for 15 min at the back end of games, we can get more out of having laurie there at the present time

I think he should be in the team.
the penalties he has been pulled up for are ridiculous and any other player would not have been penalised.
The only real big mistake he made was when he dropped the ball with the line wide open. ok, it was a massive error, but apart from that he forces at least 1 turn over a game when he creeps up on players from behind n attacks the arm carrying the ball.
if he gets dropped n does not get another run, imagine what the will do for his confidence.
also, the guy comes on the field n looks 4 the ball all the time but gets used at a decoy 3/4'sw of the time. he is big n is used as an impact player so get him on n give him the ball instead of running him rugged as a decoy 3,4,5 times in a row.

i think youre being a bit too critical of the guy. he has massive potential but then again there are plenty of signs there that say he could easily fall by the wayside and not live up to all the hype. he's still very rough around the edges and isnt going to be a superstar straight out of the box its going to take time and patience to smooth out the issues.

I'd have him in the squad every week. He makes an impact and can play up the guts or out wide.

He needs to work on his game but when Lawrence started playing his defence was terrible. Give him time.

He has potential to be a terrific NRL player.

He needs to show he has the ability both on and off the field to play in the NRL. He's not doing that at the moment and hence the reason why he is not playing.

In the replay of the Wests/ Bankstown reserves game it looked like he played >60 minutes?
The plan may well be to get him as much match fitness as possible by giving him very big minutes in reserves so that he can play decent minutes in firsts next season.
Here's hoping he does buckle down & have a really good off season.

He is worth perservering with but in all seriosness at this end of the season we cannot afford to carry his poor defence. It is not missed tackles but it is his lethargy moving up in defence and his constant cluelessness running bto the line with his back turned around the ruck that coasts us.

Personally I cannot understand that those who rave about accepting mediocrity can be asking for his inclusion when he has yet to earn it with lower grade form. His meterage is decent but no better than our current rotation in terms of all over game

Back