Lawrence not writing off move to No.6

G

Lawrence not writing off move to No.6
\
\
David Beniuk AAP Sat, Jul 30, 2011 - 12:51 PM

Wests Tigers centre Chris Lawrence isn't writing off a move to five-eighth amidst speculation Benji Marshall could be turned into a fullback for the 2012 NRL season.

The Tigers' decisions to offload custodians Wade McKinnon and Tim Moltzen at year's end and sign Parramatta centre Joel Reddy have sparked talk of a reshuffle in the backline.

Golden Boot winner Marshall has been mentioned as a candidate to wear the No.1 jersey, a move that would allow him the freedom to unleash his freakish attacking plays anywhere on the field while also lessen his defensive workload.

Youngster Curtis Sironen has been touted as a possible five-eighth, but Lawrence has replaced Marshall in the No.6 jersey before, with Tigers coaching staff previously likening the Test centre to former champion Laurie Daley.

Reddy has said he could play fullback, wing or second row but a shift by Lawrence to pivot would allow the Parramatta centre to play his best position and partner in-form Blake Ayshford.

"I'd have to think about it, have to have a good chat with Sheensy (coach Tim Sheens) about what his plans are," Lawrence told AAP after the Tigers' comeback 14-12 win over Manly at Bluetongue Stadium.

"At the moment, I'm just worried about this year and I'm happy to be back (from injury) and worried about playing centre the best of my ability rather than trying to worry about playing five-eighth in the future.

"I just want to get back to playing my best footy for the rest of the year and hopefully have another crack at the premiership."

On the evidence of Friday night's win, Marshall and Lawrence may end up staying exactly where they are after combining brilliantly for the match-winning try.

Marshall's no-look pass to the flying centre showed what the inconsistent Tigers missed during Lawrence's three months on the sidelines with a horrendous hip injury.

"It's good to be back on that left edge with Benji and Gareth (Ellis), it's been a while and we're still a bit rusty. There's still a few things we need to work on," Lawrence said.

"We're slowly getting it together and we're showing signs that we're starting to look dangerous again and starting to feel pretty confident there in defence as well."

Lawrence had hearts thumping when he got up gingerly in the 68th minute, but confirmed he had only suffered a cork.

He said the hip dislocation suffered in round three was no longer on his mind.

"My body in general was pretty sore the first two weeks and I was sore around that hip area but I was sore around the other hip as well from not playing in three months," he said.

"Last week and this week the body's felt pretty good.

"I was a bit anxious in the first game obviously … once I got the first run, the first tackle I was fine so nothing like that's still in my mind."

Lawrence is some player but I'd prefer to see him at 1 rather than 6.

He makes a huge difference to our team. We have looked pedestrian in our outside backs and he comes back and it changes our team around.

I reckon he is ready for SOO as well.

What deranged psychotic madman would turn Rowdy, one of the best hole runners in the game into a 5/8, and Benji, the best 5/8 in the game into a hole runner ????
\
\
The Fonz ??

Correctamundo !!!

i don't see it happening.
while parra are moving hayne 6 to get his hands on the ball more, we wont move our best to 1\. he basically won us the games last night with his creativity, i cant see rowdy doing what marshall can do.

its just talk

@tiger05 said:
Lawrence is some player but I'd prefer to see him at 1 rather than 6.

He makes a huge difference to our team. We have looked pedestrian in our outside backs and he comes backs and it changes our team around.

I reckon he is ready for SOO as well.

x2 Tigers05\. I'm all for that.

They all talk about having your best players in your spine. Imagine having a world class 1(lawrence), 6(Benji) and 9 (Robbie).

Now if we could only find a 7….. :smiley:

The best 5/8 in the world and one of the best centres in the world. Why would you move them. It doesn't make sense to me. Brown to fullback until the young gun in the 20's is ready should be what we're aiming for in 2012.

@Swannie47 said:
The best 5/8 in the world and one of the best centres in the world. Why would you move them. It doesn't make sense to me. Brown to fullback until the young gun in the 20's is ready should be what we're aiming for in 2012.

Totally Agreed!!!!…Sheens and Humphrey's dont do it!

@coopy said:
They all talk about having your best players in your spine. Imagine having a world class 1(lawrence), 6(Benji) and 9 (Robbie).

Now if we could only find a 7….. :smiley:

\

@smoking gun said:
Chris Lawrence is the best fullback at this club

I think that is the best option for the club. Lets put our best players in the key positions.

I think Lawrence is the strongest runner of the footy that we have. He is big, strong and fast. He would cause havoc returning the footy. Imagine Lawrence Utai and Lote as our back 3\. We wouldn't be getting dominated too much at the start of our sets.

Add to that having Lawrence roaming around the park. He could inject himself up the middle of the ruck and out wide when required.

Yes he would have to get comfortable in defending kicks from the back but he he is a player who works hard on any faults that he has and I can't see him not becoming one of the best fullbacks in the comp.

@Balmain Bug said:
What deranged psychotic madman would turn Rowdy, one of the best hole runners in the game into a 5/8, and Benji, the best 5/8 in the game into a hole runner ????
\
\
The Fonz ??

Correctamundo !!!

Give it a rest bug, this article is yet another media beat up. It's not some spin coming from Sheens as you so elegantly allude to.

While many things make this article ridiculous -i.e - the idea of moving your 2 best players out of positions where they are among the best in the world, the thing that made it clear that this neville has no idea what he is talking about is this "would allow the Parramatta centre to play his best position and partner in-form Blake Ayshford." - Joel Reddy as a centre is and has always been and will always be a right centre so moving Lawrence does no such thing, moving Lawrence to 5/8 and Benji to FB would mean you need to buy a left centre and perhaps have Reddy outside AYshford. Reddy will play Fullback or right wing but he defiantly won't play left centre in a full strength team if ever

Oh and Bug - Get over you stupid vendetta - what are you a 12 year old child who had his toy stolen by our coach or the club in general - I do obviously like most feel sorry for you because you must have some real mental issues and as a fellow Tigers supporter I hope one day you will be ok - if you need us to start a fund for some type of treatment then I am sure we would be willing to kick in

He'd make a great fullback.

However he is at his best in the centres. The couple of games he's started at 5/8 he's looked pretty good, but as the game progressed you found him venturing out to the centres by games end.

Watch Bonstonkers video re Chris Lawrence, and there are a couple of moves on the highlight reel which are brilliant, but there are much better moves from him as a centre.

I don't see him as a half. He can ball play but it is more along the lines of catching and passing at the right time.

Lawrence to fullback would be better I think.
We know he can tackle and put his body on the line. Marshall while he has improved still occassionally shirt grabs..

As it's been said you don't weaken one position to strengthen another.
By moving Lawry to Fullback you invite the teams best whole runner to get more involved and run off benji where ever he goes, not just down that left hand edge..

Rowdy is already a great centre.Its the old cliche,why weaken two positions to strengthen one.
Its just another media beat up.

Mentioned in a post a few weeks ago was having a beer with a guy whos son played all his juniors with Ayshford.
He asked me why they never gave him a shot at fullback as every time he played there as a kid he killed the opposition.
Maybe that could be an option with Reddy in the centres.
Ayshford is tall , good under the high ball , can tackle and also runs hard and busts tackles- sounds like he could go alright to me.

Members online

No members online now.
Back