Leichhardt oval's end

I don’t live in Sydney so I don’t hate this idea, only problem is we aren’t owned by news limited and the nrl will not give us an armchair ride through the comp like when melb or briz set up. So I can see them saying yeah sure go there and the ditching us not long after.
Guaranteed that would happen.

I only mentioned Optus stadium as Gallagher lives in Perth 😂

I don't mind SFS for some games but not all I think there is a place for 1 or 2 games a year at LO and CSS
I just don't get multiple grounds. If the cowboys played one game a year at 1300 smiles you'd think they've gone mad. It's nonsense.

I was told ages ago by someone thats in the know that the eighth wonder would be demolished at the end of the 2023 season.
the land is state govt owned and the money from the sale would be put to better use providing better health faciliteies for the people of greater sydney.
so look at it this way balmain tigers fans youre losing a run down footie ground but you will be providing better health care for yourselves in return and you will find your new balmain leagues club will be up and running in no time at all at all.
a minority of one eyed balmain tigers fans will say this is disgraceful, but the more reasonable thoughtful and understanding balmain tigers fans will quickly realize the medical facilities provided in lieu of a crappy football ground will provide a lot more than you realise today.
plus we will get to play most of our home games at only two grounds the new sydney football stadium and campbelltown.
Yeah... "ages ago"... That's why you wait until now to tell this story

Go away troll

I just don't get multiple grounds. If the cowboys played one game a year at 1300 smiles you'd think they've gone mad. It's nonsense.
You may live in the West (with 2 AFL teams & one major stadiurm) but your notion of relative geography in the Sydney basin is appalingly woeful!

To compare any Sydney team with the Cowboys in Townsville - with their closest major competitor or stadium 1,300 km away....

If you really had a point to make - you could find a better example!!

Perth numbats....

I get where you are coming from but the reality is someone has to run last - unfortunately this year it's us. There have been some pretty ordinary sides get the spoon recently and i don't recall seeing any of their admin, coaches etc addressing their supporters. And nope i won't be there.

I got no doubt a team team would do well here. About 4000 juniors plays the game which is about the size of macathur juniors.
Just have to get Twiggy to dump the Rugby Union and back Wests Tigers to the tune of a few hundred million a year.

Could get a pretty good team together with all those brown paper bags and cushy jobs in the mining industry post playing career.

Pretty sure Twiggy wouldn't mind splashing a bit of cash around if Pascoe decked him out in some Wests Tigers gear and it's a reasonable bet that he may be around a bit longer than Harry.

Approved and going ahead isn't it? The NSW government no longer required it as a dive site and it's right to go now I believe?
Darcy Byrne mentioned this in his interview on Westslife. Heworth control the site and have planning permission for a 12 storey structure. Any structure will have a Wests Ashfield leagues club thrown in there as part of the agreement.

You may live in the West (with 2 AFL teams & one major stadiurm) but your notion of relative geography in the Sydney basin is appalingly woeful!

To compare any Sydney team with the Cowboys in Townsville - with their closest major competitor or stadium 1,300 km away....

If you really had a point to make - you could find a better example!!

Perth numbats....
I lived in Sydney fot 30 years so I know the geography. The cowboys moved 16 klms to a new stadium. We could use a new stadium 9 klms up the road.
If you had a point you could do it without calling me a numbat.

When you heard Beau Ryan talk the other day about Benji and the tigers, he was speaking about how “not even the Australian team could beat us at LO” I know it probably isn’t popular with a lot of people but that ground is the heart and soul of the club to the players and a lot of the fans. Beau went on to talk about how he thought that Benjis plan to rebuild the club was turning into a family club again and being members of the Balmain / five dock community again which he felt was lost in the years since he left.

Threatening to no longer play games there is the wrong tact. Better way would be we are commuting to this ground long term. We hope the state government makes it a safe venue for the tens of thousands of people who use this venue regularly. the fence collapsing shows how quickly the state government could be on the end of public liability lawsuit if it isn’t kept up to a high standard.
Dunno about the heart and soul for the players and club.... A section of the fan base most definitely... I think. That's just a romantic notion
I'd hate to see us not play there and there is a lot oF BS in this thread but if this went a way to us moving to one home ground then it's a diffi desicion I'd be happy to go with

Just have to get Twiggy to dump the Rugby Union and back Wests Tigers to the tune of a few hundred million a year.

Could get a pretty good team together with all those brown paper bags and cushy jobs in the mining industry post playing career.

Pretty sure Twiggy wouldn't mind splashing a bit of cash around if Pascoe decked him out in some Wests Tigers gear and it's a reasonable bet that he may be around a bit longer than Harry.
A move to wa might get him on board

Dunno about the heart and soul for the players and club.... A section of the fan base most definitely... I think. That's just a romantic notion
I'd hate to see us not play there and there is a lot oF BS in this thread but if this went a way to us moving to one home ground then it's a diffi desicion I'd be happy to go with

This was the interview I was talking about with beau talking about LO and the area. It wouldn’t be hard to find a million articles about wests tigers players talking about thier fondness of playing at LO. Benji, Farah especially talk about it a lot - you are correct it probably is the romantic notion of it, however that’s exactly what the NRL are losing bit by bit.

I think I understand you might be hinting at that LO historically points more to one side of the increasingly irrelevant side of this merger But LO oval is also ingrained into the wests tigers as well when you hear the team talk about playing at LO (especially in the above era) they definitely talk about it with passion.

NRL is basically built on tribalism mentalities (it’s why the old brigade still struggle to support wests tigers still today) it’s getting more and more diluted each year with multiple jersey changes, revolving player contracts, loss of suburban grounds and i think it’s genuinely sad. (I’d almost be sad if manly lost brookvale)

I like the idea of having one home ground, but going to games at ANZ stadium with 8k people sucks, I don’t like playing the eels at Commbank and calling it a “home game”. The poisoned chalice for wests tigers is that it has two suburban grounds steeped in history that causes a faction in its supporter group every time either one is acknowledged and it’s not really viable having games at both, plus a another stadium to have cash flow, plus another one to grow the game regionally.

Latest posts

Members online

Back