Live music - Bands you have seen/Are planning to see

They can add up if you do interstate shows. My cousin saw every Australian show on Metallica’s Death Magnetic tour in 2010.

Since 95 I have done every Syd show at least once. Done syd Melb once for the 09. Maybe 10 shows I guess? I wanna get 4 in this tour

Yeah he is, saw Everclear last year. He is out here doing a tour with the lead singer from Wheatus next month. Playing the crowbar and the ettamogah.
Saw them at a hotel in Melb in 23. Great show and knew what people wanted.

First live show was Elton at the Ent Centre in mid 80s, then moved to Sydney in 89 and started to see a lot of live music, including the first 4 Big Day Outs (92-95), and then 97 as well.

Quality Aus bands: Celibate Rifles, Hard Ons, Weddings Parties Anything, Triffids, TISM, Beasts of Bourbon, Rat Cat, Mark of Cain, Gurus, Hunters & Collectors, You am I, Tembleweed, Powderfinger, Regurgitator, Front End Loader etc (even saw the Cockroaches before they changed their name and became really famous)

International: Violent Femmes, Ministry, Butthole Surfers, Henry Rollins, Mudhoney, NoMeansNo, Nick Cave (he had well and truly moved out of Aus by then), Deniz Tek (had also well and truly left Aus by then), Ramones, Offspring, Soundgarden, PWEI (can't believe they're touring again soon!), Nirvana, Primus etc

Best gigs - Violent Femmes at Selinas, Celibate Rifles at BDO, NoMeansNo at the Landsdowne, Ministry at Selinas
Best live song - Hard Ons and Henry Rollins doing Let There be Rock at the first BDO

Unfortunately it was all many years ago :(

Twice I’ve seen PJ and twice they have opened with my two favourite songs of theirs. Do The Evolution and Why Go

I was going to say that. One of the only bands who change their setlist every night. Shows they know their catalogue.
Also leads to a few stuff ups lol. There were songs I waited years and years to hear live.

Also leads to a few stuff ups lol. There were songs I waited years and years to hear live.
Then you get Kiss who have had almost the same identical setlist for 30 years. I love Kiss, but if you have seen one show, you have seen them all.

Then you get Kiss who have had almost the same identical setlist for 30 years. I love Kiss, but if you have seen one show, you have seen them all.
It's why I have seen certain bands so many times. I also love the covers and guest appearances a band like pearl jam includes.

Or the Eddie Vedder Presets I have seen where he comes out before the first support band and does a song or 2 with a couple of hundred people in the venue.

As a muso myself, I try and see every band I can. My musical tastes are vast, virtually the only thing I won't listen to is rap. As such I've seen literally hundreds of bands. Being in the Hunter valley we go to a lot of festivals as well so they can rack up quite quickly, plus the Tamworth country music festival for 25 years (from which I have actually just got home). Iv'e seen Elton, Kiss, Metallica, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Billy Joel (who was in his 60s and still full of energy) John Farham who as a singer myself never failed to amaze me, Cold Chisel as well as Jimmy and Mossy both on their own (actually rated Mossy on his own with an acoustic guitar as better than any of their band shows) Icehouse are amazing. Iv'e seen near every big name country artist that's played in Australia in the last 25 years, Alan Jackson, Brooks and Dunn, Toby Keith, obviously Keith Urban (before and since he got famous) Luke Combs, Morgan Wallen and soo soo many others new and old.
My shit list would be the obvious ones like Meatloaf, Darryl Braithwaite should have retired years ago, Bryan Adams was horrible last year and the all time worst gig I have ever seen in my life was the Choir Boys. They played at the Scone gold club for $10 entry and everyone asked for their money back. They were drunk as skunks, out of time, out of tune and couldn't remember the words to nearly every song they did. They played run to paradise 4 times and each time got worse. An hour later they almost had a punch up in the carpark over who was going to drive home because they were all to drunk. I've heard they are much better now as they've eased up on the grog but I wouldn't see them again if you paid me.
As for the best, easily the Zac Brown band. Just wow. There are about 10 of them in the band and they are all world class musicians on multiple instruments. They stroll out and you can just tell they are loving every second of every gig whereas a lot of bands are just going through the motions. They do randoms covers that are generally better than the original bands version, I have seen them do comfortably numb, enter sandman, killing in the name of, lets go crazy (Prince) bohemian rhapsody, Kashmir, Neon ( John Mayer), piano man, the list goes on. They are the only band I've ever seen who can just flawlessly float between genres like its nothing. Even if you think you don't like country check them out. Because obviously you're wrong!!

and the all time worst gig I have ever seen in my life was the Choir Boys. They played at the Scone gold club for $10 entry and everyone asked for their money back. They were drunk as skunks, out of time, out of tune and couldn't remember the words to nearly every song they did. They played run to paradise 4 times and each time got worse. An hour later they almost had a punch up in the carpark over who was going to drive home because they were all to drunk. I've heard they are much better now as they've eased up on the grog but I wouldn't see them again if you paid me.
God damn, that’s hilarious 😂

Latest posts

Back