Live music - Bands you have seen/Are planning to see

As a muso myself, I try and see every band I can. My musical tastes are vast, virtually the only thing I won't listen to is rap. As such I've seen literally hundreds of bands. Being in the Hunter valley we go to a lot of festivals as well so they can rack up quite quickly, plus the Tamworth country music festival for 25 years (from which I have actually just got home). Iv'e seen Elton, Kiss, Metallica, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Billy Joel (who was in his 60s and still full of energy) John Farham who as a singer myself never failed to amaze me, Cold Chisel as well as Jimmy and Mossy both on their own (actually rated Mossy on his own with an acoustic guitar as better than any of their band shows) Icehouse are amazing. Iv'e seen near every big name country artist that's played in Australia in the last 25 years, Alan Jackson, Brooks and Dunn, Toby Keith, obviously Keith Urban (before and since he got famous) Luke Combs, Morgan Wallen and soo soo many others new and old.
My shit list would be the obvious ones like Meatloaf, Darryl Braithwaite should have retired years ago, Bryan Adams was horrible last year and the all time worst gig I have ever seen in my life was the Choir Boys. They played at the Scone gold club for $10 entry and everyone asked for their money back. They were drunk as skunks, out of time, out of tune and couldn't remember the words to nearly every song they did. They played run to paradise 4 times and each time got worse. An hour later they almost had a punch up in the carpark over who was going to drive home because they were all to drunk. I've heard they are much better now as they've eased up on the grog but I wouldn't see them again if you paid me.
As for the best, easily the Zac Brown band. Just wow. There are about 10 of them in the band and they are all world class musicians on multiple instruments. They stroll out and you can just tell they are loving every second of every gig whereas a lot of bands are just going through the motions. They do randoms covers that are generally better than the original bands version, I have seen them do comfortably numb, enter sandman, killing in the name of, lets go crazy (Prince) bohemian rhapsody, Kashmir, Neon ( John Mayer), piano man, the list goes on. They are the only band I've ever seen who can just flawlessly float between genres like its nothing. Even if you think you don't like country check them out. Because obviously you're wrong!!
The Zac Brown Band are special. I saw them back in 2016 in Melbourne.
Superb show.

Deep Purple w David Coverdale - Smoke on the Water
Rolling Stones
Cat Stevens
Jethro Tull
Led Zeppelin
Eric Clapton, two times
Tina Turner
Leonard Cohen
Joan Baez
Santana
BB King, two times
Odetta
Frank Zappa's Mother on inventions
John Mayall
Spandau Ballet, a few months after the Live Aid
Flaco Jimenez
U2
Inxs
Yothu Yindi
Paul Kelly
John Williamson, eight times
Don Williams, two times
Bob Dylan
Archie Roach
Bruce Springsteen
Cesaria Evora
Yasmin Levy
Guy Clark
Mariza
Emmylou Harris
Tom Paxton
the Mavericks
John Prine
Cowboy Junkies
Anoushka Shankar
Jackson Browne

On my bucket list
Neil Young
Van Morrison
Madredeus
Misia (fado)
Marcio Faraco
Souad Massi
Shuujat Ali Khan

GNR x7

Green Day x4

U2 x4

Foo Fighters x4

RHCP x5

Elton John x3

Kiss x4

Queen x3

Paul McCartney x2

Pearl Jam x2

Motley Crüe x2

Slipknot

Oasis

Velvet Revolver

Faith No More

Stone Temple Pilots

Stone Sour

Eagles

B-52’s

Coldplay ( Ex dragged me along)

Adele (Ex dragged me along again)

The Living End

Slash and Myles Kennedy

Supernova

Metallica

Steel Panther

Rolling Stones

The Cure

Van Halen

Aerosmith

I don’t know how many shows I’ve seen.
Shitloads.
I did festival circuits for years and years. Saw all the big acts as well..Gunners, Metallica, Rammstein, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Pantera, Parliament-Funkadelic, Lenny Kravitz, Oasis, Muse, Tool, RHCP, RATM, AC/DC…and plenty more all in their prime.
Caught numerous Aussie acts in pubs and clubs over decades. INXS, Australian Crawl, Midnight Oil, Pendulum, Nick Cave, Tex Perkins, Skunkhour, Hill top Hoods, The Gurge….and tonnes more.

My favourite gigs were
The Tea Party - Fringe Festival in 1996. Absolutely monstrous performance by a band who were at the top of their game musically.
Tool - Early 2020…saw them 3 times and they blew me away on each occasion.
Dire Straights - 1991. I was in Munich. They were out of this world brilliant.

Last edited:
GNR x7

Green Day x4

U2 x4

Foo Fighters x4

RHCP x5

Elton John x3

Kiss x4

Queen x3

Paul McCartney x2

Pearl Jam x2

Motley Crüe x2

Slipknot

Oasis

Velvet Revolver

Faith No More

Stone Temple Pilots

Stone Sour

Eagles

B-52’s

Coldplay ( Ex dragged me along)

Adele (Ex dragged me along again)

The Living End

Slash and Myles Kennedy

Supernova

Metallica

Steel Panther

Rolling Stones

The Cure

Van Halen

Aerosmith
Geez that’s a good list , you love music looking at that list

Haha they still going?
They were a great party back in the day.
It’s funny you mentioned them. I saw a video yesterday of Anthony Kiedis giving a speech at the unveiling of George Clinton’s star on the Hollywood walk of fame.

Been to countless shows over the years. I used to see a number of Aussie bands in my youth at various pubs/venues like the Angels, AC/DC, Chisel, INXS, Split Enz, Rose Tattoo, Machinations, Kevin Borich Express etc etc.

Overseas acts include, David Bowie, The Police, U2, Elton John, Paul McCartney (recent tour and he was still pretty good for 81 years of age), Billy Joel, Dire Straits, Bruce Springsteen (twice), Thin Lizzy, The Monkees (only 2 original members at the time), Style Council, Rodriguez etc. etc.

Last edited:
The first band I saw was called Buffalo
Played at my school(Birrong Boys High) at lunch time in the quadrangle in 1973
Strangely enough this was the last time it ever happened at school

The first band I saw was called Buffalo
Played at my school(Birrong Boys High) at lunch time in the quadrangle in 1973
Strangely enough this was the last time it ever happened at school

Dave Tice lead singer still playing gigs around the inner west.

I’ve seen a few over time, a lot of festivals that I can’t really remember who was there… lol I do remember everclear at the offshore festival in Torquay in 95, they got booed off stage, I’ve seen the cure at livid in Brisbane, fear factory, nine inch nails, korn, Henry Rollins when he was supported by Kim salmon and the surrealists, Devin Townsend, limp bizkit now after good things last month, heading to see live and incubus, also fear factory and machine head soon… plenty more just all a bit of a blur, I do remember rammstien at BDO tho lol

It’s funny to think that AC/DC were once a pub band.
Angus Young went to my Primary School (a few years prior to me attending) but was there with my brother and also attended his High School. The Young family lived in Burwood only 5 minutes or so from my place. I saw AC/DC during their Back in Black tour but not in a pub venue.

One of my all time favourite tours, perhaps the greatest ever was U2‘s Zoo Tv. The show they played in 93 at the SFS is probably one of the greatest recorded live shows of all time. They were at their absolute peak. It was a few years before I was old enough to attend and if I could go back and see anyone, with the exception of The Doors, it would be U2 on this tour. I could almost dedicate an entire thread to this tour and how much affection i have for it. This was them at their peak, and with some attitude after they had been ridiculed throughout the 80’s for taking themselves too seriously. So they responded with this. Bono creating alter egos. One was The Fly. Dressed in all leather, a bit of a nod to Jim Morrison, with huge bug eyed sunglasses. And another, MacPhisto, a gold suit wearing devil who would call the White House on stage and ask to speak to George Bush. Also, one night, I think it was in Chicago, he called a local pizza place and tried to order 20,000 pizza’s, or some crazy number like that. I think the best the pizza place could do was 50 or 60. So during the encore, after they were delivered, the pizza’s got distributed through the crowd. The visuals with the huge TV screens were very unique for the time too. Very futuristic.

IMG_2349.jpegIMG_2351.jpegIMG_2352.jpegIMG_2353.jpeg

Last edited:
Their subsequent tours were great too. PopMart, Elevation, Vertigo and 360. Probably my all time favourite touring band. They always have great concepts for their stage design, and even little things like how they take the stage, They have always been very unique, and I think outside of the Stones, probably the greatest stadium band of all time. Their shows are like movies with so many special effects, they have to be seen on the big screen. U2 design tours that are meant for stadiums

IMG_2354.jpegIMG_2355.jpegIMG_2356.jpeg

Back