Lote Tuqiri thread

G

Lote Tuqiri says he would take a pay cut to play rugby league again
By Stuart Honeysett and Brent Read
August 08, 2009 Sacked Wallaby Lote Tuqiri has offered to take a huge pay cut to resurrect his career in the NRL, prompting several clubs including Wests Tigers and Sydney Roosters to express interest in his services next season.

Tuqiri's future has been up in the air since the Australian Rugby Union sacked him last month for breaching team protocols.

That shock decision prompted Tuqiri to launch a damages claim against the ARU for unfair dismissal, the first instalment of which was heard on Friday in the NSW Supreme Court.

The Australian reported this week that Tuqiri was poised to join French Top 14 club Bayonne, which had approached the Wallabies star when he was under contract to the ARU and the New South Wales Waratahs.

The French club is home to several Australians: rugby league convert Craig Gower and former Wallabies Rodney Blake and Manny Edmonds.

However, with any move towards French rugby laced with ramifications for a possible damages payout, Tuqiri's best option might be to return to rugby league - a code he made his name in with the Brisbane Broncos from 1999 to 2001.

Asked if he was serious about playing rugby league again and whether he would take a pay cut to play in the NRL, Tuqiri told the Nine Network on Friday night: "Yep. I'm prepared to take a pay cut.

"My family is quite settled here now. We like Sydney. We like Australia. We don't want to move and uproot."

Tuqiri denied he had entered into an agreement with Bayonne.

His manager Les Ross is understood to have applied to become an accredited NRL agent. Under NRL rules, managers are unable to negotiate with clubs until they become accredited.

Although his application is yet to be heard, it is expected to be ratified, clearing the way for Ross to begin negotiations on Tuqiri's behalf.

Already, the Roosters and Tigers have indicated interest in talking to Tuqiri. Roosters recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan declined to give a definite answer but would not rule out talks with Tuqiri.

Tigers recruitment manager Warren McDonnell was more definite. "He's one of the best wingers to play in recent memory," he said.

"Of course we would take him. I would be surprised if any club wouldn't want him, especially if it was cheap."

Tuqiri has offered to take a pay cut, but his drop in income would be large because most NRL clubs have spent their salary cap for next season. Any deal in France would dwarf what he could earn in Australia.

His decision could affect his court hearing because any damages claim could be mitigated if his earning potential was not severely affected. Time will tell how genuine Tuqiri is in his desire to play NRL, given the financial impact.

He is expected to play club rugby for West Harbour against Warringah at Pittwater Rugby Park next Saturday.

"Lote wants to play for the club," president Bob Ellis said. "Unlike Timana Tahu, who was contracted, Lote has played for West Harbour on a handshake deal.

"I say again, Lote hasn't a contract to play for us in the Shute Shield competition.

"He's a good bloke and you wouldn't find anyone around the club who has a bad word to say about him."

Tuqiri's fight to clear his name will resume on Monday when three judges of the NSW Court of Appeal will hear legal argument as to why sensitive ARU documents related to his sacking shouldn't be made public.

The former Wallabies and NSW winger's reputed $1 million a year contract with the ARU was torn up on July 1.

The ARU has steadfastly refused to reveal publicly the grounds for his sacking.

-Additional reporting: Peter Kogoy

McDonnell sounds keen to talk to him, if he's cheap :laughing:

I'd happily trade off Daniela and Brown to have Tuqiri on one wing.

@willow said:
McDonnell sounds keen to talk to him, if he's cheap :laughing:

I'd happily trade off Daniela and Brown to have Tuqiri on one wing.

:laughing: Maybe he can play for a packet of stillnox and a case of red bull a week….

Well at least where in the hunt...... :unamused:

We already wasted money on Daniella and Brown :unamused:

Sometimes I wonder what goes through the heads of the Tigers admin.

Tui and Tuqiri. Yes please.

what people dont understand is that a paycut for lote is still $400k a year. thats what he would be wanting imo. what would daniela, brown and tuopu be on combined? $250k? seriously what a waste. a fit and firing tuquri is just about the best outside back in any code. imagine the publicity and sponsorship he would bring with him, when you consider what he would give you on the field $400k would be a bargain

@fergiefurr said:
what people dont understand is that a paycut for lote is still $400k a year. thats what he would be wanting imo. what would daniela, brown and tuopu be on combined? $250k? seriously what a waste. a fit and firing tuquri is just about the best outside back in any code. imagine the publicity and sponsorship he would bring with him, when you consider what he would give you on the field $400k would be a bargain

i can see fulton not coming back if we get tuquiri, IMO we still should have around 300-500k free in our salary cap

On the Sunday Roast program a month or so ago, when he got sacked and they suggested would Tuqiri return to League a question on that panel was how much would you pay for Tuqiri's services. The general consensous was around the 180K mark, if he was a goal kicking winger maybe 200 -220K. Hence they suggested to play Union in Europe for more $$$$.

He would generate a huge interest and bums on seats for whichever club he plays for a bit like Wendall Sailor who is cult figure at Saints and mixes really well with the fans.

@Muffstar said:
On the Sunday Roast program a month or so ago, when he got sacked and they suggested would Tuqiri return to League a question on that panel was how much would you pay for Tuqiri's services. The general consensous was around the 180K mark, if he was a goal kicking winger maybe 200 -220K. Hence they suggested to play Union in Europe for more $$$$.

He would generate a huge interest and bums on seats for whichever club he plays for a bit like Wendall Sailor who is cult figure at Saints and mixes really well with the fans.

Yep, I recall that segment, and that was what Gould reckoned he would be prepared to pay for Tuqiri. Be interesting to see what he thinks he can get coming back to League.

Well
just maybe…his damages claim against ARU revolves around lost income as a result of breach of contract.
So if Tuquiri can show his market value in Sydney NRL is only say $200k pa,then if he proves his case he wld be entitled to the "gap" between that & what he was on.
If so, he's possibly looking for a short term deal to bolster his legal case,after which he'll go to european Rugby

Imagine Tui & Lote on the wings. :astonished: Stomp!

I don't think he'll return to League, unless he is prepared to lose a lot of money. If we didn't purchase Daniella & Brown and have a little on the side we could have probably made it.. he'd be worth it on the field and off the field imo.

All these outside backs… haha

I think we are a good chance... one marquee signing a year aye? If we do sign him... The club should say to Brown and Daniella that if they can find a club elsewhere feel free to sign a contract...

Carn Tigers!!!

I think it would be bad management if we were to sign him. We've already signed enough outside backs, and Tuqiri will be 31 next year. Save the money for a top front rower.

@weststigerman said:
I think it would be bad management if we were to sign him. We've already signed enough outside backs, and Tuqiri will be 31 next year. Save the money for a top front rower.

Totally agree we need a go forward prop not another back

He'd be great for sponsorship, publicity and crowd numbers. Also he'd be a great winger/centre/fullback. But I wouldn't pay over 200-250k for him (not including third-party agreements)

Didn't Russell Crowe show him around their facilities once upon a time or am I getting him mixed up with someone else?
With Craig Wing going then I am sure they may have some money to throw at Lote.
The Roosters will find away of finding some spare cash to dangle under his nose they always seem to be able to make a play for the big names!

It would be a wonderful coup for the Tigers if they found enough money but it is NOT likely. **Maybe the Roosters can let Willie Mason go (to sign Lote) and we can pick him for a bargain and that would be the missing link in our forward pack?**

@NEDKELLY said:
Didn't Russell Crowe show him around their facilities once upon a time or am I getting him mixed up with someone else?
With Craig Wing going then I am sure they may have some money to throw at Lote.
The Roosters will find away of finding some spare cash to dangle under his nose they always seem to be able to make a play for the big names!

It would be a wonderful coup for the Tigers if they found enough money but it is NOT likely. **Maybe the Roosters can let Willie Mason go (to sign Lote) and we can pick him for a bargain and that would be the missing link in our forward pack?**

Souths made a play for him a couple of years ago but apparently are no longer interested and won't be chasing him.

Back