Luke Brooks #167

He is also not a "naughty boy" or fraud that some people choose to depict him as @Kaito

No. You're right, he is a good boy. Part of my frustration
with him is his inability to communicate anything -
on & off the pitch - he's a really quite guy by nature.
Lord knows he doesn't need another excuse though,
we had his balls in our purse 4 so long - he's free now,
all grown up. Happy 4 him, but can't escape the fact
that the only constant at the club over the last decade
has been him, absolutely no escaping that fact...
we got so many things wrong over the past decade
that it's no wonder that he is the poster child 4 failure.
Don't hate him, just love the club 2 much 2 cheer him
on or the scumbags he plays 4 across the bridge lol

Have u heard him speak???
If u have, and u don’t get it, then u never will!
It’s quite obvious to most people.
Not up to it, yes not up to it, organising and performing a game plan at any stage in his 11 years was a rare site. Wow, he’s going great as a third wheel, congratulations.
Can't believe how dumb Brooksie is, I mean it's take him almost 30 years to set himself and his family up for life.

If he had a clue he could have done it by the time he was 25. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Since you have you provided that list.
How many of those that didn’t kick on, were pretty rubbish with us to begin with?

Maybe it’s a highlight a failure in our recruitment, retention and release strategy.

How many of those that didn’t kick on, were pretty rubbish with us to begin with?

Maybe it’s a highlight a failure in our recruitment, retention and release strategy.
Momorovski went on to win a GF with panthers too so I’d say that was a success for him even if he was never a superstar

Reactions: BZN

You tell me? I'm only arguing against the silly repeated comment that all players who leave the Tigers kick on.

There is a long list of failed recruits for all clubs, even Melbum Storms, but obviously the worse the general performance of the club over X years the worse the "list of failures" looks. And there are obvious reasons for this, not just poor club recruitment strategy/performance, but other truisms:
- that good players want to play for well performing clubs
- that well performing clubs typically earn more income and can offer better benefits
- that inexperienced players do better in successful teams
- that low-calibre players can be hidden better in successful teams
- that losing teams can be more desperate or must take bigger recruitment risks
etc.

the Hello Sports podcast called him a rescue dog, now going to a better home.
The thing I'll say about Brooks is surely, at the very least, everyone has learned not to predict his long-term output from one decent performance?

Brooks played ok, shuffled the ball around, was hardly asked to kick, defended well (usual for him) and took some nice runs, particularly when Manly had broken the match. The final solo try probably over-stated his performance, very very similar shades to his 2013 debut.

The jury however remains out whether Brooks can really perform better in a better side (which has always been the main thought experiment for Brooks), and whether he can also perform if he has to take on more responsibility (e.g. if DCE gets injured).

We can't ignore that the guy has had an 11-year career, rarely been dropped, and therefore had ample opportunity to show his ability - way more than most players get. It cannot only be the club's fault if a player gets a decade of continuous selection and still does not greatly move the needle.

Historically Brooks has often turned in decent matches, I'd even say he regularly turns in decent performances and that's never actually been his problem. In 2018 Brooks even turned in a significant number of decent performances. The problem with Brooks has always been:
(a) the consistency of decent performances, especially in high-stakes situations,
(b) the general lack of great (match-turning) performances,
(c) the gap between his best and worst performances.

And unfortunately for Brooks those 3 questions (a-c) are profound and potentially injurious for a halfback. Nathan Cleary is already a legend of the game because he is so reliable under pressure, rarely plays badly and can often turn a match through individual performance. Brooks is nothing like that and he debuted 3 years before Cleary.

You tell me? I'm only arguing against the silly repeated comment that all players who leave the Tigers kick on.

There is a long list of failed recruits for all clubs, even Melbum Storms, but obviously the worse the general performance of the club over X years the worse the "list of failures" looks. And there are obvious reasons for this, not just poor club recruitment strategy/performance, but other truisms:
- that good players want to play for well performing clubs
- that well performing clubs typically earn more income and can offer better benefits
- that inexperienced players do better in successful teams
- that low-calibre players can be hidden better in successful teams
- that losing teams can be more desperate or must take bigger recruitment risks
etc.
All worthwhile points.
But are you indicating that that list is the best we could have done when faced with other options on the market?
I’d argue that either we don’t have an effective plan for an effective recruit .i.e Blair. Or we pick the wrong players for our goals entirely.

The guy is an enigma. His illusive qualities on the field are just as hard to explain as how he can play like shit and be compared to an immortal of the game. 😂

Most people forget Brooks didn't really play 20's at all....
Had a few games in Cup before coming to First Grade.
If you'd have watched him play in the Juniors, You can see where the comparisons came from
(Not claiming they're warranted - Just that he was that good in his age group)
Was also well above the reserve grade sides back at that time...

Media don't have much to talk about most of the time, So they say stupid sh*t - Comparisons happen....
Have been since Dally Messenger...
I saw Joey Johns himself liken Ash Taylor to the "Next JT"
- How many next Perter Sterlings have Parra had? (A Sh*t Tin)

Like watching a slow motion car crash looking through @jirskyr list....
Those names (Amongst countless others) are where you'll find why we've not had as much success as we could have, Anyhow - New halves this year,
And what what I've read here - ALL our problems are solved since we sold them to Manly....

All worthwhile points.
But are you indicating that that list is the best we could have done when faced with other options on the market?
I’d argue that either we don’t have an effective plan for an effective recruit .i.e Blair. Or we pick the wrong players for our goals entirely.
No I'm not making any particular argument about our recruitment strategy, or at least I don't wish to.

My point was only that not all players who leave Tigers, or any club, go on to better things. In fact most players who are not retained don't improve and were not retained because they were never that good.

No I'm not making any particular argument about our recruitment strategy, or at least I don't wish to.

My point was only that not all players who leave Tigers, or any club, go on to better things. In fact most players who are not retained don't improve and were not retained because they were never that good.

Too much money spent on Juniors and Journey men for far too long for mine....

The money the likes of Moses, Brooks, Sironen, Simona, Lovett etc. were paid when they came into Grade
was absolutely ridiculous....
They're the kind of contracts the good clubs would have had on 2nd tier, In ressies for a bit training with firsts until they're capable of earning their keep...

I like brooks, but his pass selection (rowdy must still have nightmares of running onto a brooks pass) and short kicking game were constantly very poor, and that had nothing to do with the surrounding player's. He was not an organising half or talker.
He was a runner and that’s all he will have to do at manly. Plus better players around him will give him greater opportunity to run.

Can't believe how dumb Brooksie is, I mean it's take him almost 30 years to set himself and his family up for life.

If he had a clue he could have done it by the time he was 25. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
You don’t have to be smart to be paid a lot of money to be an athlete.
Doesn’t change the fact he’s not the sharpest tool in the shed… by a long way.

Most people forget Brooks didn't really play 20's at all....
Had a few games in Cup before coming to First Grade.
If you'd have watched him play in the Juniors, You can see where the comparisons came from
(Not claiming they're warranted - Just that he was that good in his age group)
Was also well above the reserve grade sides back at that time...

Media don't have much to talk about most of the time, So they say stupid sh*t - Comparisons happen....
Have been since Dally Messenger...
I saw Joey Johns himself liken Ash Taylor to the "Next JT"
- How many next Perter Sterlings have Parra had? (A Sh*t Tin)

Like watching a slow motion car crash looking through @jirskyr list....
Those names (Amongst countless others) are where you'll find why we've not had as much success as we could have, Anyhow - New halves this year,
And what what I've read here - ALL our problems are solved since we sold them to Manly....
The worst thing to happen to Brooksy was winning DallyM halfback. It put enormous pressure on him in a poorly managed club with a bottom of the ladder team.

Back