Luke Brooks #167

Unfortunately you just described why Brooks deserves the criticism.
Unlike John’s he didn’t spit on the ground.
That’s because he’s not overly competitive and seems happy to put up with stupidity on the field and remain mute.
Ask anyone who played with John’s and they will all say that he made them a better player.
Reckon any of the players we’ve had over the past 10 years would say the same about Brooks?
Nah.
In describing Johns traits you did, however, describe the bloke we got rid of.
Nothing you can do when your administration can’t sign an elite player.

Last edited:
I expected that type of response from you Paws...I was remarking about who the better player was and I gave a fair asessment in my opinion on both without bagging either player...
You really have to lose the Sheens/Marshall glorifying,Marshall was a brilliant 5/8 made to play a 7 role,has never coached NRL as this is an experiment that could go horribly wrong,Sheens won 1 premiership in 10 years with far better players than we have had since and we were tied down by the salary cap overspend by Cleary..
So before getting on peoples post that dont seem to favour your narrative,think about the way other people whose opinion is respected by the respectfull people on here can have positive input and good discussion...
That’s just how Paws is. He thinks Sheens and Benji are gods and he is their loyal servant. He thinks they can’t do no wrong when they both have done wrong plenty of times.

I don't believe it's as simple as that. The financial implications massively came into play
Re Hastings at 7, Brooks at 6.
I DONT GET IT!

Hastings was on 550k and I think Doueihi was at 600ish K.
Doueihi asking for 800K+

8714016-3x2-940x627.png

What does make sense:
Sheens gunning for Bateman, with Bateman/Hastings having a personal conflict. Clearly Bateman almost did not sign with us.

Sheens going for Moses, in which case Hastings becomes a 4th wheel (imho he should have been a desired player).

Truth be told though. Hastings is a First grader, not a Gun. Yes a lot of hype around him and he won a few games for us and at least 2-3 more then Brooks last year. We still came 16th, Hastings could have put his hand up higher and we would have missed the spoon. He isn't even at Mitchell Moses's level.

I like Hastings and wish we could have kept him, but thems the facts.

Fact - Hastings is gone.
Fact - Sheens and Marshall want Brooks post 23.
Fact - restructured deal if Brooks stays.
Fact - we have a greatly strengthened forward pack.
Fact - our recruitment is probably the best in our history.
Fact - as far as most on this forum are aware, we are still in the mix for one of the NRL's best halfbacks.

The remainder Winston is your opinion.
Fact - Luke Brooks failed at his job as playmaker to lead a team to the 8 in 2014
Fact - Luke Brooks failed at his job as playmaker to lead a team to the 8 in 2015
Fact - Luke Brooks failed at his job as playmaker to lead a team to the 8 in 2016
Fact - Luke Brooks failed at his job as playmaker to lead a team to the 8 in 2017
Fact - Luke Brooks failed at his job as playmaker to lead a team to the 8 in 2018
Fact - Luke Brooks failed at his job as playmaker to lead a team to the 8 in 2019
Fact - Luke Brooks failed at his job as playmaker to lead a team to the 8 in 2020
Fact - Luke Brooks failed at his job as playmaker to lead a team to the 8 in 2021
Fact - Luke Brooks failed at his job as playmaker to lead a team to the 8 in 2022

I expected that type of response from you Paws...I was remarking about who the better player was and I gave a fair asessment in my opinion on both without bagging either player...
You really have to lose the Sheens/Marshall glorifying,Marshall was a brilliant 5/8 made to play a 7 role,has never coached NRL as this is an experiment that could go horribly wrong,Sheens won 1 premiership in 10 years with far better players than we have had since and we were tied down by the salary cap overspend by Cleary..
So before getting on peoples post that dont seem to favour your narrative,think about the way other people whose opinion is respected by the respectfull people on here can have positive input and good discussion...
There is this line from Battlestar Galactica (BSG 2003 remake, honestly one of the best shows EVER MADE). Sometimes you have to roll a hard 6.

Yes this whole Sheens/Marshall experiment could go woefully wrong. It stinks to high heaven that Sheens looked after coach mentoring, puts Kimmorley up to fail (IMHO he did what he could with what he had), then appoints himself to the job. I don't think the applicants were knocking our doors down. Wolfe, Flanagan, I don't think they were that keen to get our side.

^that PAINS me to say as a WT fan. We sucked. I was ready to give up on this forum entirely WE SUCKED!

Now, now we have to play the Sheens/Marshall game. Will they succeed? Sheens can succeed with Fifita+Woods+O'Dwyer+Payten+Marshall+Farah+Moltzden, etc. With a crap side and injuries Sheens sucks!

I kind of get that this is a restart roll of the dice. It has to work and by it working in us signing ICE, Klemmer we were able to land Bateman. When things are going well, this decision will work because luck brings luck. Likewise if after bringing all these people in, our side is 0/7 then the WT may fold as a side. Bad luck brings more bad luck as no one wants to play for loosers.

I hope if were 0/7 this season the board Fires Sheens and hires Des Haslier Immediately. I also hope that doesn't happen and were 7/7.

There is this line from Battlestar Galactica (BSG 2003 remake, honestly one of the best shows EVER MADE). Sometimes you have to roll a hard 6.

Yes this whole Sheens/Marshall experiment could go woefully wrong. It stinks to high heaven that Sheens looked after coach mentoring, puts Kimmorley up to fail (IMHO he did what he could with what he had), then appoints himself to the job. I don't think the applicants were knocking our doors down. Wolfe, Flanagan, I don't think they were that keen to get our side.

^that PAINS me to say as a WT fan. We sucked. I was ready to give up on this forum entirely WE SUCKED!

Now, now we have to play the Sheens/Marshall game. Will they succeed? Sheens can succeed with Fifita+Woods+O'Dwyer+Payten+Marshall+Farah+Moltzden, etc. With a crap side and injuries Sheens sucks!

I kind of get that this is a restart roll of the dice. It has to work and by it working in us signing ICE, Klemmer we were able to land Bateman. When things are going well, this decision will work because luck brings luck. Likewise if after bringing all these people in, our side is 0/7 then the WT may fold as a side. Bad luck brings more bad luck as no one wants to play for loosers.

I hope if were 0/7 this season the board Fires Sheens and hires Des Haslier Immediately. I also hope that doesn't happen and were 7/7.
Only Ciraldo was the club trying to sign as coach. No one wanted to come near us but I agree its a pisstake that he appointed himself the job. If we are 0/7 I highly doubt the club will sack Sheens, he’s only coach for 2 years and then Benji takes over in 25. If they tried to sign Des I don’t think he would take it knowing he’s not gonna be coach after 2024. Not unless they scrap the idea of Benji becoming coach.

Fact - Luke Brooks failed at his job as playmaker to lead a team to the 8 in 2014
Fact - Luke Brooks failed at his job as playmaker to lead a team to the 8 in 2015
Fact - Luke Brooks failed at his job as playmaker to lead a team to the 8 in 2016
Fact - Luke Brooks failed at his job as playmaker to lead a team to the 8 in 2017
Fact - Luke Brooks failed at his job as playmaker to lead a team to the 8 in 2018
Fact - Luke Brooks failed at his job as playmaker to lead a team to the 8 in 2019
Fact - Luke Brooks failed at his job as playmaker to lead a team to the 8 in 2020
Fact - Luke Brooks failed at his job as playmaker to lead a team to the 8 in 2021
Fact - Luke Brooks failed at his job as playmaker to lead a team to the 8 in 2022
I love it that Paws always says our recruitment is best this year than in our history...
How about I give him a home truth,Sheens new that Madge knew we needed a strong forward pack,hence HE recruited Api and Papi,Sheens jumped on the opportunity and took his job,swapped Hastings for Klemmer and got Bateman to come here....our young guys will develop nicely with those 4 in the top squad...
This is my opinion and I strongly believe Madge knew what was needed,top forwards,the pathways developed and the weak links got rid of...HE was sacked conveniently once Sheens got here...
I dont blame Madge that we got the spoon I blame the kaos of his sacking that was the cause...we need to show improvment this year with the good players we have got..
Madge is gone...Sheens hasnt coached in the NRL for 10 YEARS,Marshall WAS a star player doesnt make him a coaching star YET...
I hope for the clubs sake all the pieces fall into place and we have a great year,otherwise the future could look very bleak....

I love it that Paws always says our recruitment is best this year than in our history...
How about I give him a home truth,Sheens new that Madge knew we needed a strong forward pack,hence HE recruited Api and Papi,Sheens jumped on the opportunity and took his job,swapped Hastings for Klemmer and got Bateman to come here....our young guys will develop nicely with those 4 in the top squad...
This is my opinion and I strongly believe Madge knew what was needed,top forwards,the pathways developed and the weak links got rid of...HE was sacked conveniently once Sheens got here...
I dont blame Madge that we got the spoon I blame the kaos of his sacking that was the cause...we need to show improvment this year with the good players we have got..
Madge is gone...Sheens hasnt coached in the NRL for 10 YEARS,Marshall WAS a star player doesnt make him a coaching star YET...
I hope for the clubs sake all the pieces fall into place and we have a great year,otherwise the future could look very bleak....
It wouldn’t have mattered what players Madge had ,the game plan of 5 hit ups and a kick would have stayed. No one improved under his coaching and getting rid of him was the best thing for the club and the players.

It wouldn’t have mattered what players Madge had ,the game plan of 5 hit ups and a kick would have stayed. No one improved under his coaching and getting rid of him was the best thing for the club and the players.
Gosh, I wonder why the roster didn’t improve under Madge?
Any ideas?
I wonder? , Could it be that he was operating under a $6.8m cap with his “best” players sitting in the grandstand?
He finally got that lazy $2.6m to work with and got sacked. Then the new CB deal increased the cap by another $2.5m. So with an extra $5.1m allocated to new contracts, yeh, I would think we should see some improvement.
Hastings would have been a Benji decision imo.

you only have to look at tales from tigertown Madge was not the coach for us.
Sheens will guide the young blokes coming through ready for Marshall in 2025.
We are is a better spot than we were in 2003 whe he came on board the first time

forgot to mention Luke Brooks 2018 Dally M halfback of the year

You could get there’s after you’ve collect Fadges. What ever u reckon, what are u on? What fact are wrong you’ve quoted nothing instead you personally attack me. Because there’s no weight to your argument. You coward.
I notice you only get the haters club supporting you, same 4 guys dishing out the same hate, rather than supporting our team. I still have my doubts u actually really support the tigers. Just another troll!!
Pathetic really….
Most people ignore you because of your pathetic attitude, u need a reality check. Or better still take your 4 mates and start your own forum, that will make the majority happy.
Gibberish. Can someone translate?

Gosh, I wonder why the roster didn’t improve under Madge?
Any ideas?
I wonder? , Could it be that he was operating under a $6.8m cap with his “best” players sitting in the grandstand?
He finally got that lazy $2.6m to work with and got sacked. Then the new CB deal increased the cap by another $2.5m. So with an extra $5.1m allocated to new contracts, yeh, I would think we should see some improvement.
Hastings would have been a Benji decision imo.
My response wasn’t about roster improvements which Madge was somewhat hamstrung. That I can somewhat agree with even though there there were several questionable signings under his watch ie Bj Peachy etc. The point I was making was his style of coaching and improvements to our players was non existent. Good coaches improve players irrespective of who they are coaching. Madge was not one of those as no one improved under his guidance. His time was up.

An award he did not deserve. Cronk should’ve won halfback of the year.
Cronk got the real prizes - premierships.
Does he deserve them?

Also debatable.
I'd argue he won premierships in teams that weren't cap legal roster wise.

Everythihg is tarnished!

forgot to mention Luke Brooks 2018 Dally M halfback of the year

What the 2018 halfback highlighted to me was the fact that the awards are not voted on by what i consider well qualified people.I don't dislike Brooks but no way in the world was he best half back that year.The dally M's are voted on by News Limited stooges who would be far better off sticking to their normal occupation which is writing very poor fantasy novels

Cronk got the real prizes - premierships.
Does he deserve them?

Also debatable.
I'd argue he won premierships in teams that weren't cap legal roster wise.

Everythihg is tarnished!
While he did play in a team cheating the cap, he still played his heart out and is still one of the best halfbacks to play the game. If I could’ve picked one player to take from the Storm during that period, I would’ve picked Cronk over Smith and Slater.

While he did play in a team cheating the cap, he still played his heart out and is still one of the best halfbacks to play the game. If I could’ve picked one player to take from the Storm during that period, I would’ve picked Cronk over Smith and Slater.
Can't argue with that.

All three are unreal competitors.
Slater is my pick , absolute weapon.

They really were the most complete spine, of all time.

Back