Manly say Tiger troubles are behind them

G

Manly say Tiger troubles are behind them
BEN HORNE
July 20, 2010 - 2:14PM

AAP

By this stage of the NRL season, memories of earlier games are quickly fading, but Manly's round-one capitulation to the Wests Tigers is still vivid in the recollections of Sea Eagles players.

It was the first Monday-night match of the year and Manly had it all wrapped up at halftime, leading 20-4.

But the Sea Eagles went quiet in the second half, and four tries saw the electric Tigers steal the match from their grasp in the 75th minute.

It was the start of Manly gaining an unwanted reputation as second-half snoozers - one they're desperate to get rid of, with coach Des Hasler still hopeful of a top-four finish.

The sixth-placed Sea Eagles say they've learnt from their mistakes and are keen to get one back on the Tigers at Gosford's Bluetongue Stadium on Sunday.

"You'd hope so wouldn't you? We still did that the first couple of weeks getting out to a big lead and we got run down in the first two games," winger Michael Robertson said.

"It's something we're still working on and hopefully we can get a different result.

"We had a big start and they ran us down so hopefully we can change that result on Sunday."

Robertson says the third-placed Tigers have developed into genuine title contenders.

"You just have to look at where they're sitting on the ladder … They're above us on the ladder and we're going to have to try and sort that out on the weekend," he said.

"We're playing quite a few teams in the eight over the last seven rounds so they're important games so they don't skip ahead of you or you can get a jump on them."

Five-eighth Kieran Foran is adamant Manly have addressed their second-half slides, but warned the same dangers the Tigers presented in round one will threaten again unless the 2008 premiers get their defence right.

"Just their attacking flair. They can strike from anywhere on the field. They showed that (against the Cowboys)," he said.

"They'll score 10 metres out to 90 metres out, and we just can't clock off for a second.

"Those first couple of games at the beginning of the season, we had trouble closing out the second halves.

"We've just learnt to keep playing footy when we come out after halftime and go on with it.

"You've got to make sure your defence is strong. They've definitely got some attacking flair there with Benji and Farah so I think we've just got to turn up and make sure that we're working hard for each other."

Manly say they gained plenty of confidence by putting a big score on Cronulla last weekend, but know defence will need to be their primary focus against the unpredictable Tigers.

Sea Eagles co-captain Jason King said his side can take their tackling effort in the first half of their last match against the Tigers, as the blueprint for how to topple them this time around.

"The Tigers are really going to test us ... so it's important this week that we do a lot of work on them and try and get rid of those soft tries out of our game," he said.

It's gonna be a crunch clash for us. We've beaten some so-called 'out of form' teams in recent weeks, now we get one in good form. Will be a good test. We do need to step it up though, with a bit of luck we'll get some troops back to add to the confidence.

It is a very important game. Playing at Bluetongue helps. The return of some key players for us (hopefully) will help even more.

This game will get DIRTY!!!
Manly are scum but our boys haven't taken a backward step when it comes to fisty's this season.
Ring the Bell and lets get it on.

After last nights game I'm not sure we can beat them. But then again, after last nights game (and a number of others this year,) I should know by know that with the Tigers anything is possible.

Exactly, anything is possible. They can defend, they can score tries, it's the attitude, the focus and building pressure that'll see Wests Tigers go a long way in the competition. Taking into account, Wests were up against the Australian & QLD Origin Halfback last night along with a host of other representativre and established First Graders. They're position on the table does not reflect the ability and talent of their squad. But yes, the Tigers must lift another gear against Manly. The stakes are a lot higher. Manly are desperate to win to keep their Finalks hopes alive and Wests needs to win to continue to keep their Top 4 spot. Bring on the Silvertails!!

Will be a good test, they have a good pack and a couple of handy players in the backs. When on song their defense is very good. With Ellis and Lui back in the team I think we are in good shape. A win and a top four finish is in the bag a loss not the end of the world but the seeds of doubt could sneak into the team

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't been confident at any stage since Molz did his knee, but the boys just keep grinding away each week and coming up trumps. It's good to know that we can come back from 16-0 down. Our defense has improved out of sight and whilst we haven't been 'winning pretty' we have been winning and that's really all that counts. Bring on the Battle of Bluetongue!!

Wow, who would have thought that by round 20, the result from round 1 would be behind them??? :eek:pen_mouth:

Manly are beatable even with Ellis out the only problem I have is the bench if we had a stronger bench I would be very confidant.

@ron burgandy said:
manly by 20+

You really should pick another team to follow, your heart isn't in it.

Sharks, they''re your perfect fit.

@coop said:
@ron burgandy said:
manly by 20+

You really should pick another team to follow, your heart isn't in it.

Sharks, they''re your perfect fit.

i just think that game would of took it out of them and there will be a let down….small bench aswell....if manly get the jump on us it could be a long day

@Team Tiger said:
It is a very important game. **<big>Playing at Bluetongue helps.</big>** The return of some key players for us (hopefully) will help even more.

Lets hope the Central Coast WTs fans make a bit more noise than the LO faithful last night, it was like a funeral at the old girl last night even at 0-0, so very very quiet….very lacklustre crowd indeed.

@innsaneink said:
@Team Tiger said:
It is a very important game. **<big>Playing at Bluetongue helps.</big>** The return of some key players for us (hopefully) will help even more.

Lets hope the Central Coast WTs fans make a bit more noise than the LO faithful last night, it was like a funeral at the old girl last night even at 0-0, so very very quiet….very lacklustre crowd indeed.

where were u sitting?

LOL….not that far away that I wasnt hearing something, you cant hear silence.
Sth east crnr sort in front of the cuppacino/latte van

@innsaneink said:
LOL….not that far away that I wasnt hearing something, you cant hear silence.
Sth east crnr sort in front of the cuppacino/latte van

people drinking cuppacinos and lattes arent the type to make noise :wink:

Back