Meyer: cambo has once last chance

Kul

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Leader
Of more concern was the paltry crowd of 6456, which prompted a bitterly disappointed Wests chief executive Grant Mayer to announce the round 11 match against Brisbane on May 24 would be the last chance for fans to show they would support home games at Campbelltown.
>
Advertisement
>
Just six days after 16,311 fans braved torrential rain to cheer the Tigers to a 34-18 win over Manly at Leichhardt, the turnout at Campbelltown was the second lowest at the venue in the 15-year history of the joint venture and Mayer said the club could not afford to continue losing money by hosting games there before small crowds.
>
"I thank the 6500 fans here tonight, they are diehard fans but I scratch my head wondering what more we can do to attract a crowd at Campbelltown Sports Stadium," Mayer said.
>
"We are going to announce $10 tickets for our 15th anniversary match against the Broncos in round 11, where fans can sit anywhere they like, and it will be one last throw of the dice for Campbelltown to come and show they support their club.
>
"We have to sit down and reassess whether we can continue to run games here at a loss. I feel incredibly sorry for the 6500 fans who did attend tonight, they are are the ones who support their teams through thick and thin.
>
"It is difficult to reconcile that we got 16,500 people at Leichhardt in the rain and we won against one of the competition heavyweights, yet six days later we can only get 6500 people at one of the best venues in rugby league."
>
After winning three of their last four matches against competition leaders Gold Coast and premiership heavyweights South Sydney and Manly, it was difficult to understand why more fans didn't turn out to watch one of the most entertaining teams in the NRL play against an opposition boasting the likes of Johnathan Thurston, Brent Tate and Tariq Sims.

_Posted using RoarFEED V.4_

Is that all we got ??

Looked like a 10 k crowd on TV

Lets get some dry weather to some home games and see what we can draw

No noise, atmosphere or spirit from the crowd either.

Did not feel like a home game.

I think they can go close to making wests tigers self funded if they move most remaining games to homebush.

I'm a balmain boy, but it would only be fair to do 50/50\. Even when leichhardt pulls the crowds.

Maybe 1 or 2 games at each local ground is the answer and just wear the cost of the couple of games at Cambo.

With the $10 tickets and one of the best footballers in thurston, there really was no excuse tonight.

Very disappointing considering the form we are in at the moment.

After last week, you can't blame the weather

Wests Cambo CEO is blaming "poor interstate opponents"… Because manly brought 10000 to leichhardt last week!

Wests cambo CEO is blaming "poor marketing" of the $10 ticket. What a pathetic argument. Concord is almost giving these tickets away and only 6000 show up.

No matter what argument you throw at them, they keep moving the goal posts and dancing around the facts; Cambo crowd has to show up!

yep agree we can't keep playing at ctown for 6500k. what do we do then, have half games at Leichhardt half ANZ. Somehow i think the Wests side of the club wouldn't like that but i can't think of another solution. personally i think ctown is very out of the way for a lot of fans. i live on the northern beaches and go to every leichhardt and ANZ game and it takes me an 45-60mins to both but to go to ctown is just another 45mins so its is tough to get there. Im not sure what we are going to do on this one

There were only a handful of manly supporters at leichhardt too. Sea of black, white and gold on the hill.

A paltry crowd indeed but maybe they should look at the policy of giving Campbelltown so many of the interstate games. Games against Sydney teams would at least have the benefit of attracting two fan bases and then see what sort of a crowd attends. When I used to go to games at Campbelltown to watch the Maggies, the crowd was generally more than tonight's.

Grew up in ctown when we went to orana ok. Left 2 yrs ago. U could feel the area was changing. Becoming a more neutral not just wests fans

In defence of the campo brigade, it is a bit early in the season for them to attend weekend matches….most are still doing weekend detentions from summer. Give us a thursday night game and they will pack it out....

@hammertime said:
There were only a handful of manly supporters at leichhardt too. Sea of black, white and gold on the hill.

Yep. The excuse this was an interstate team is rubbish. The truth is Campbelltown doesnt support this club abd never has. The Magpies never successfully engaged Campbelltown and the JV hasnt either.

@hammertime said:

Yep. The excuse this was an interstate team is rubbish. The truth is Campbelltown doesnt support this club abd never has. The Magpies never successfully engaged Campbelltown and the JV hasnt either.

@sideline eye said:
A paltry crowd indeed but maybe they should look at the policy of giving Campbelltown so many of the interstate games. Games against Sydney teams would at least have the benefit of attracting two fan bases and then see what sort of a crowd attends. When I used to go to games at Campbelltown to watch the Maggies, the crowd was generally more than tonight's.

I don't think its a policy. ANZ probably pays the big bucks for those games. Would be hard for the tigers to risk moving one given the current stats.

Anywho, manly didn't contribute much at all to the crowd at leichhardt. At a max you could take 1000.

@softlaw said:
@happy tiger said:
Is that all we got ??

Looked like a 10 k crowd on TV

Lets get some dry weather to some home games and see what we can draw

There was no rain at all.

My understanding was it rained all afternoon , if that is incorrect I will retract my statement and apologize

Getting rain during a day game and rain at a night game is different Lot cooler at night

Still 6500 isn't good , whats doing 2560 ??

Latest posts

Back