Michael Maguire leaves club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look at Madge's cattle - And the 36.25% Winning Ratio above
and compare it against our most successful coach's cattle during his tenure, and the 49.42% winning Ratio... (Including a year we won the comp)

And scratch my head at how 1 guy can be considered totally inept and the other some sort of demi god.
So we are clear:
"only won 6 of the last 23".
26%

Madge doesn't have to go today. He can run the team for a few more weeks till we find a good replacement. Heck I want to offer him "caretaker" 1 year and he can pretend to quit for another offer. We take on Ciraldo or my preference make an offer to Cooper Cronk!

While on that subject, other then Flanno (what on earth was he thinking lately, gone from a Yes to NO in my book). lets look:
Cooper Cronk
Ciraldo
Jonathan Thurston (likely cowboy for life, but also likely a good coach).
Laurie Daily

madge is meant to be the experienced coach that gets the basics right and steers us in a good path. He has failed in that respect. I want us to hire a good replacement. Madge however has failed.

Media have there agenda and if they didn't they would be talking about Titans not Tigers.
They have a better roster then us, hardly any injuries, Coach has been there for around the same time but crickets................................... After this weekend we are 2 point above them, better for/against and our squad lacks in a lot of areas yet they are behind us and media don't care.
The Club needs to come out with the decision ASAP to move the media on and then we can look to recruit as no one is coming here until this is sorted.

Unless we sign Flanno or Morris, Madge should stay. No L plate coaches.

I am weary of anyone coming from Penrith. Barrett landed the top job at Canterbury after a year or two at Penrith and he failed miserably. Ciraldo will likely be the same. Penrith give no real barometer of the ability of a coach due to the unique position they find themselves in with an amazingly talented batch of players coming through at the same time that have played together since they were in their mid teens.

By extension, Andrew Webster is an assistant coach at Penrith, should he get consideration?

Media have there agenda and if they didn't they would be talking about Titans not Tigers.
They have a better roster then us, hardly any injuries, Coach has been there for around the same time but crickets................................... After this weekend we are 2 point above them, better for/against and our squad lacks in a lot of areas yet they are behind us and media don't care.
The Club needs to come out with the decision ASAP to move the media on and then we can look to recruit as no one is coming here until this is sorted.

Qld and nsw media different.

I am weary of anyone coming from Penrith. Barrett landed the top job at Canterbury after a year or two at Penrith and he failed miserably. Ciraldo will likely be the same. Penrith give no real barometer of the ability of a coach due to the unique position they find themselves in with an amazingly talented batch of players coming through at the same time that have played together since they were in their mid teens.

By extension, Andrew Webster is an assistant coach at Penrith, should he get consideration?

Yeah Roosters should of employed that theory with their coach. They took a bit of risk and it paid dividends.

You don't just look at Barrett and say he didn't work so noone else will.

Ciraldo comes across as a development coach and that's exactly what we need.

Madge isn't he's a big name club coach.

Doubt Brydens lawyers go with flannagan for obvious reasons.

I live up here in Brisbane and all I hear about is Tigers every day and nothing about Titans except they need to win to stay in touch with Top 8.. Nothing about the coach etc..
I cannot wait until we are successful and these clowns are sucking up to the club and players.
Is it because you follow nsw media?

Yeah Roosters should of employed that theory with their coach. They took a bit of risk and it paid dividends.

You don't just look at Barrett and say he didn't work so noone else will.

Ciraldo comes across as a development coach and that's exactly what we need.

Madge isn't he's a big name club coach.

Doubt Brydens lawyers go with flannagan for obvious reasons.
You mean Robinson who had a 60% win rate with Catalans in the ESL first? Hardly came straight out of NSW cup to coach NRL.

Barrett - failed
Holbrook - failed
O'Brien - failed

The only one who has had some semblance of success is Fitzy.

So we are clear:
26%

Madge doesn't have to go today. He can run the team for a few more weeks till we find a good replacement. Heck I want to offer him "caretaker" 1 year and he can pretend to quit for another offer. We take on Ciraldo or my preference make an offer to Cooper Cronk!

While on that subject, other then Flanno (what on earth was he thinking lately, gone from a Yes to NO in my book). lets look:
Cooper Cronk
Ciraldo
Laurie Daily

madge is meant to be the experienced coach that gets the basics right and steers us in a good path. He has failed in that respect. I want us to hire a good replacement. Madge however has failed.
You mentioned the coaches that we could get...
Cronk....would be a rookie NRL coach
Ciraldo....would be a rookie NRL coach
Thurston ...would be a rookie NRL coach
L.Daley...Origin coach that you would consider experienced enough to take on the tough job at our club,with lots of injuries,no quality depth and a heap of youth to develop..He may not be able to handle the weekly grind and pressure of NRL coaching...

If you think Madge has failed and should be shown the door,then some players, admin and board show all leave as well..this isnt just a one man failure if you think the work that Madge has done while here is a failure...
this year the team has performed really well with weeks of half ressies sides ...
YOU SHOULD UNDERSTAND that injuries to top players for weeks on end,no depth,chopping & changing players in positions to at least turn out a competative team every week will impact your plans for the season ahead...Most top teams can replace injured players of the same quality most times,unfortunately we dont have that luxury....

You mean Robinson who had a 60% win rate with Catalans in the ESL first? Hardly came straight out of NSW cup to coach NRL.

Barrett - failed
Holbrook - failed
O'Brien - failed

The only one who has had some semblance of success is Fitzy.
I think you need to give these coaches time and consider how truly hard it is to make the top 8 there are 4 teams every year you can lock in to play finals

Rooster
Melbourne
Parra
Penrith

And a couple more you can pretty much say will be there that change every year or so. so that leaves 2 spots for all the bottom dwelling clubs to fight for this makes it so difficult for a club/coach to crack that top 8

I agree Barrett has been a complete failure
But I believe Holbrook and obrien are building toward something

Both teams will be pushing for top 8 next year

And fitzy is a smart man instead of taking the first job offered to him he just hung at the roosters learning his trade and waiting for the perfect job to pop up

I believe we are starting to look like an appealing job to coaches we have a huge jr base and Tim sheens 1 of the greatest coaches of all time is at the club to lend a hand and the coach that comes here and finally brings success we be a god in the eyes of the fans

Reactions: BZN
If there was a way to make the players put in exactly the same weekly efforts ( so we remove them as a variable ), and we change the coach . . . . . does anyone think anything is going to be different ?
If you think that the players will want to "play for another coach", then what will happen when they inevitably don't want to, because the coach benched one of the cool kids ?
Madge might be part of the reason, sure . . . but for the love of God, have we not learned a thing from the string of coach replacements that we keep thinking is going to be different "this time" ?

So we are clear:
26%

Cooper Cronk
Ciraldo
Laurie Daily

Just so YOU'RE clear....
29 Wins from his 80 (Total) Games = 36.25%

Less than 14% Lower than our greatest ever coach, Who coached our greatest ever players. In our greatest ever squads!!

ps: 80% of your "preferences" are Delusional.

Reactions: BZN

Add Kristian Woolf to that list with a 65.2%

If there was a way to make the players put in exactly the same weekly efforts ( so we remove them as a variable ), and we change the coach . . . . . does anyone think anything is going to be different ?
If you think that the players will want to "play for another coach", then what will happen when they inevitably don't want to, because the coach benched one of the cool kids ?
Madge might be part of the reason, sure . . . but for the love of God, have we not learned a thing from the string of coach replacements that we keep thinking is going to be different "this time" ?

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a total Stan for Madge. I think if there is better out there we should try for it. I don't think that risking it on a rookie is smart though when there are proven performers available.

It's bigger than just Madge naming a shit bench. Since Sheens, we are on our fourth coach. We've neglected pathways, we've let talented juniors walk through arrogance or sheer incompetence, we've given coaches too much power over recruitment which has crippled us, and then we went in the opposite direction where recruitment was taken away from the coach in response to Cleary.

There's a multitude of factors that have ruined us. Changing the coach for the sake of changing the coach is not going to work, just like it hasn't the previous three times. More needs to happen.

TSP to my knowledge most clubs have midseason reviews, it's just ours attract all the attention for obvious reasons.
Head honchos are dodging the bullet because of legal reasons.
Don't look into too deep mate.
WT said last year that there will be a mid season review and because of our poor start they have no choice but to do it to save face.
As I said before, this review is not all about Madge.
It's the whole football department.
I wouldn't be surprised if the outcome of review brings good news and some signings maybe imminent.
Eternal optimist 🙏
I’m still recovering from the Royal Comission into Madge last year.

I made strong representations in writing to the club about keeping him and Pascoe's assistant got back to me saying it would be taken into account.

It wasn’t really broadcast that the mug fan could have their say.

To be honest, I probably had all the influence of a convertible car during a hail storm, they probably got back to me for politeness sake.

But I sent the corro to a third party on another forum for verification.

Then I got involved in a potential signing, but that ended badly lol. Don’t send me in to help out there unless you want failure.

Getting involved in club business, it’s a bit like dabbling in the occult!

Thanks for your thoughts cobra, appreciated as always.

Last edited:
I’m still recovering from the Royal Comission into Madge last year.

I made strong representations in writing to the club about keeping him and Pascoe's assistant got back to me saying it would be taken into account.

It wasn’t really broadcast that the mug fan could have their say.

To be honest, I probably had all the influence of a convertible car during a hail storm, they probably got back to me for politeness sake.

But I sent the corro to a third party on another forum for verification.

Then I got involved in a potential signing, but that ended badly lol. Don’t send me in to help out there unless you want failure.

Getting involved in club business, it’s a bit like dabbling in the occult!

Thanks for your thoughts cobra, appreciated as always.

More than just a touch of voodoo in our heirachy unfortunately

Reactions: TSP
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back